diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

Day 29 of me waiting patiently for a price or eta of when these will be released into the wild!

Not harping on midnite, just trying to stay on topic lol. It could have less capacity and be priced more than anything eg4 or solark sells and have zero reviews and it’d still jump ahead of them on my list. I guess that makes me a fanboy 😂
I think @SpongeboB Sinewave said in the $5500 range a few pages back.

It's a simplified spec sheet because the output is dependent on the battery voltage. At 54V it'll output ~14kW battery only from the inverter. At 52V it's down to around 13.5kW. At the typical LVP of 48V it's down to about 12.5kW.
Nailed it. I did the stress test on my 15k. Barely got warm, and did 272.5a for 3 hours straight.

I have never heard of anyone having problems with charging throttling (I have never seen it with mine). What are his ambient temps?
I honestly don't know. But when he charges heavy, it's coming from a generator, and that may affect temps, depending on quality of the power coming from the gen.

There's probably a range of ambient temps amongst users from cool basements to outside in scorching summertime heat. Some manufacturers will show their derated numbers at higher temps.

I honestly don't know. But when he charges heavy, it's coming from a generator, and that may affect temps, depending on quality of the power coming from the gen.
I wouldn't be surprised if it throttles down when charging from a generator based on the incoming voltage/frequency. I've never seen behavior like that when charging from solar or the grid though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it throttles down when charging from a generator based on the incoming voltage/frequency. I've never seen behavior like that when charging from solar or the grid though.
One thing that I do know is that when using the grid input for a generator you definitely want to checkmark the "gen connected to grid" option! Otherwise it will at times just simply not stay connected to the generator. So there is definitely a difference in the response on a generator vs grid.

If totally off grid, might be a better choice to use something like 4 stacked EG4 6000XP
Would that be because the MidNite Product would have features systems that would not sell back do NOT need ... or because of Costs?

Would that be because the MidNite Product would have features systems that would not sell back do NOT need ... or because of Costs?
With 4 stacked units in off grid, you have something where you can get 1/2 power should something fail. Off grid you don't need extra features that involve grid.

Price for 4 6000XP comes in slightly more than the Midnite. You gain extra MPPT's with the 6000XP. It's kind of a wash really.

I'm still waiting on SRNE 10Kw units that can parallel. They informed me when it is released they will let know. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I've come back full circle on the Solark and reconsidering it for my shop but that is grid backup. Right now might be a good time to just wait, draw up plans, install some PV. Many new products are coming out. I hate to be the first in line on any product in case there are problems. Sometimes though you have to make the plunge.

I don't see much attraction in stacking inverters unless you have twice the inverter capacity so one can cleanly fail and go offline and still have power. But it seems like stacking inverters introduces compromises in some inverters where they lose flexibility.
I'm thinking of dividing loads between multiple inverters.
I'm considering buying an inverter just for 240 volt loads, and another inverter or two for 120 volt loads.
Some of the 240/120 volt inverters can run 120 volts out only.
The 240/120 volt system in the US is a PITA.
Most of the world does just fine on 220 or 240.

I'm thinking of dividing loads between multiple inverters.
I'm considering buying an inverter just for 240 volt loads, and another inverter or two for 120 volt loads.
I've been thinking about adding a separate inverter for most of my 120V loads. It's easy to run a few countertop cooking appliances and load up a leg...
Some of the 240/120 volt inverters can run 120 volts out only.
This could be a useful feature for RVs?
The 240/120 volt system in the US is a PITA.
Most of the world does just fine on 220 or 240.
Agreed! Water would boil faster, toast would burn quicker, loads would be balanced easier and life would be good.

I don't see much attraction in stacking inverters unless you have twice the inverter capacity so one can cleanly fail and go offline and still have power. But it seems like stacking inverters introduces compromises in some inverters where they lose flexibility.
I want a system that runs 2. 4 is too many and 1 is not enough. 😅

8 inverters + 1 for parity, that lets you know there was a power failure.
16 inverters + 4 for ECC code, system can continue with single inverter failure, detect multiple failure.
(another approach includes checksum, each home has parity and with neighbors down the block implementing same, you can check with them and determine which inverter failed. That doesn't let you fix the issue on the fly, but you can take the time to run an extension cord.)

Or is this more like triple redundancy with voting logic?

At any rate, all outputs paralleled and one can bring the rest down. Likely can't clear a breaker automatically, so some hard failures would require user intervention. Or at least a remote-trip breaker.

If I were building a new home I could see the benefit of running multiple smaller units to multiple panels.
Dedicated panel(s) for critical items on a tier 1 unit(s).
Less critical items on a separate panel with tier 2 hardware that could be shut off to reduce idle.
Dedicated panel for testing new equipment.
Replacing would be easier if there was a failure due to reduced size / weight.

My system is grid-backup. Some loads are automatically picked up, others are manual transfer switch.
It has 4x battery inverters, each 120V, stacked 2p2s.

I plan to have up to 3 inverters sleep for power savings, with auto-transformer to maintain split-phase.

I plan to have a couple levels of load-shed, plus enable of dump load.

I plan to add a 12V AGM backup for communication gear, with AC & PV charger for the battery, and AC & battery for the loads.

I guess I ought to plan for a generator input as well. Maybe make that AC coupled, avoid having to insert a transfer switch.

The new place I'm about to build out will be similar, except 2x battery inverters.

Back