diy solar

diy solar

Monitor JK BMS with Solar Assistant?

I got my RS485 to USB adapter and waiting for the JK RS485 thingy to arrive so I can hook it up just like JK shows in the Howto. Two questions, will I be able to graph the BMS data in Solar Assistant? Do I need some kind of USB driver in the Raspberry 3 for the adapter? It has a CH340 chip it says.

I got my RS485 to USB adapter and waiting for the JK RS485 thingy to arrive so I can hook it up just like JK shows in the Howto. Two questions, will I be able to graph the BMS data in Solar Assistant? Do I need some kind of USB driver in the Raspberry 3 for the adapter? It has a CH340 chip it says.
using the jk rs485 didn't work for me...i thought most did not use that, instead they cut the wire off of it and use that.

So you can just solder 2 wires from the BMS then? No need for the "magic" RS485 box? Crap! I just ordered and paid for that thing. Do you have the Pinot for the connector?

So you can just solder 2 wires from the BMS then? No need for the "magic" RS485 box? Crap! I just ordered and paid for that thing. Do you have the Pinot for the connector?
look over this thread and you will see it, but yeah essentially, more like 3 wires

I have one of those cheap TTL-USB for Arduino project. That might work. Then my RS485 to USB adapter is pretty much useless too. Oh well, at least I can get this thing to work without waiting for parts.

I have one of those cheap TTL-USB for Arduino project. That might work. Then my RS485 to USB adapter is pretty much useless too. Oh well, at least I can get this thing to work without waiting for parts.
It might work and it might not. Mine did not with any method.

Feedback: I tried the Jikong RS-485 and USB-RS-485 on my JK BMS connected as they recommend and it works great. You need the correct version of RS-485. There is two of them.

Feedback: I tried the Jikong RS-485 and USB-RS-485 on my JK BMS connected as they recommend and it works great. You need the correct version of RS-485. There is two of them.
can you list exactly what you used?

Hankzor BMS store on Ali express. "RS-485 of B2A8S20P" is it called. There is one that is only called RS-485. I have a B2A8S20P so I chose that version. The USB to RS-485 is the regular black one with 3 green terminals A+B+GND for like $7.

I'm using Home Assistant, not Solar assistant, but will SA not allow you to just connect via BT using an ESP32?

I'm able to run wireless with the ESP32 connecting to the JK via BT, then uploading the data via WIFI, but I'm not sure how the SA interfaces. In my scenario, its easier than fiddling with those tiny cables, and wondering if it might be an option for SA also.

I'm using Home Assistant, not Solar assistant, but will SA not allow you to just connect via BT using an ESP32?

I'm able to run wireless with the ESP32 connecting to the JK via BT, then uploading the data via WIFI, but I'm not sure how the SA interfaces. In my scenario, its easier than fiddling with those tiny cables, and wondering if it might be an option for SA also.
Ah ok. I will just do without it. Sadly.

If your bms has a console port and uses pylontech protocol - check out this project which is set up to report to home assistant .
It will work with either esp32 or raspberry pi.
I'd rather not have another rasp pi. Have one already with solar assistant. Don't think jk bms support pylontech. Solar Assistant will have to do. It does provide battery info but not accurate of course.

Hi i just finish setup my connection with inverter must pv1800 and bms jk 8s
for help i can tell you buy cheapest usb ttl converter what you found and it wil work ! i use ft232 rs232 ttl inverter price like 10Euro and its not working then i order cheapest 1 euro in Poland and its working great in my case i use 8s bms witch 7s settings focus on the connector i have opositive way according to picture from seller i should have +21v on right but on my right pin its gnd! look on the picture ;) ps to connect to the bms i use connector from old laptop fan its 3 pin

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.23.13 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.23.13 (1).jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 122
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.23.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.23.13.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 122
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.23.12.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.23.12.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 128
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.15.42.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 11.15.42.jpeg