diy solar

diy solar

Monitor JK BMS with Solar Assistant?

@Nami It would be really good if you guys could provide a simple TTL/USB converter with the right connector for the BMS, so one can skip the RS-485 conversion. Or even just a connector with wires so one can attach a third party TTL/USB converter.

@Nami It would be really good if you guys could provide a simple TTL/USB converter with the right connector for the BMS, so one can skip the RS-485 conversion. Or even just a connector with wires so one can attach a third party TTL/USB converter.
I am designing the upper computer program, and then I am also contacting the factory to customize the ttl/usb converter. It may take some time. I will reply in time when I have the latest news

Hi guys,

77289007-38AB-47D0-9AC9-79A6C20E8978.jpeg

D1C3749A-6721-42C1-BD1D-FB1AE71BAB29.png

Do you guys interpret this as the four pin “GPS” port should be used?

Is Can the first 3 pin port and RS485 the 4 pin port?

It's the 4 pin port labeled GPS. See last picture here:

Dang, I just got my 4 pin JST 1.25 and hooked it up to a ESP32 which is connected to HA with https://github.com/syssi/esphome-jk-bms towards the end of my vacation, but I get no readings from the JK BMS. Do you guys know if you have to restart the JK BMS or something to get it to detect the connection? The esp32 log is just quiet. When I remove the JST from the BMS it instantly reacts. Don't really know how to search for errors and how to rule out hardware issues. I think the connections should be OK, but the cables are darn small and there could of course be something that isn't 100%...

Has anyone heard from SA about getting cell voltages to show?

No, But I’m growing very impatient. Besides the problems with the JK BMS (which I have sent them emails on with no response) but I have now metric issues that don’t add up with my Growatt inverters. I sent an email, got one response, and I sent one back with no follow up. I’ve now gone through several software revisions with no fix to my problems. It seems as though they only care about adding value in the form of adding more products support rather then fixing existing issues. Which is subpar in my book. I’m getting ready to sell everything but the batteries and just buy all Victron.

Dang, I just got my 4 pin JST 1.25 and hooked it up to a ESP32 which is connected to HA with https://github.com/syssi/esphome-jk-bms towards the end of my vacation, but I get no readings from the JK BMS. Do you guys know if you have to restart the JK BMS or something to get it to detect the connection? The esp32 log is just quiet. When I remove the JST from the BMS it instantly reacts. Don't really know how to search for errors and how to rule out hardware issues. I think the connections should be OK, but the cables are darn small and there could of course be something that isn't 100%...

Does that ESP32 require an arduino to work, or can you hook it up just usb to power, and then connect rx/tx and connect to it via wifi?

Does that ESP32 require an arduino to work, or can you hook it up just usb to power, and then connect rx/tx and connect to it via wifi?

I am not familiar with Arduino but use a RPI4 and Home Assistant to communicate to the ESP32 via wifi. I don’t think the esp32 can work entirely stand alone. But physically it can be connected to wifi and just need a power cord to “work”, so I wouldn’t rule it out.

Hi guys,

I am having an issue with my system and it could perhaps be attributed to JK BMS or the Victron MPPT.

The system all of a sudden stopped charging about two weeks ago. But from afar, everything seem to be in order. Everything else works. There have been no issues with temperature or delta cell deviations.

Could there be anything with the JK BMS stopping charging? Can you check that from afar?

It says that the “Dedicated Charger” is off, what does that mean? Charging is on/enabled.

3CF1CD89-4C4D-4B21-849F-54B77993F9F3.jpeg
80051B81-8E9A-4A7D-B0E7-EA39D1C8A557.png

96C7D59E-6294-49A6-820F-8E41184748EA.png

I don't know what the "dedicated charger switch" is - it doesn't match anything on the user interface, might be something for a dual port version or maybe the relay versoon? @Nami what is that "dedicated charger switch" (also called "Special charger switch" in the protocol pdf)?

I don't think that's the issue though. Can you monitor what's going on with the charge controller?

I don't know what the "dedicated charger switch" is - it doesn't match anything on the user interface, might be something for a dual port version or maybe the relay versoon? @Nami what is that "dedicated charger switch" (also called "Special charger switch" in the protocol pdf)?

I don't think that's the issue though. Can you monitor what's going on with the charge controller?

Me neither, it has a history and nothing has changed, ie it hasn’t turned from off to on the 7th August when it stopped charging.

Yeah, I can access the MPPT and everything looks like it should. It’s on and has no error messages.

Hm, even if it was the JK BMS not enabling any charging — the MPPT should put out power to the inverter directly, right? Daily yield should never be 0%? This rules out the JK BMS unless I am mistaken.

My cousins tried to flip on and off the MCB today between the MPPT and the inverter/battery and nothing changed. So it hasn’t tripped. I wonder if it could be faulty some other way? I don’t trust the quality of that MCB…

Last edited:
This is a new problem. We will find a victron MPPT to verify as soon as possible

Me neither, it has a history and nothing has changed, ie it hasn’t turned from off to on the 7th August when it stopped charging.

Yeah, I can access the MPPT and everything looks like it should. It’s on and has no error messages.

Hm, even if it was the JK BMS not enabling any charging — the MPPT should put out power to the inverter directly, right? Daily yield should never be 0%? This rules out the JK BMS unless I am mistaken.

My cousins tried to flip on and off the MCB today between the MPPT and the inverter/battery and nothing changed. So it hasn’t tripped. I wonder if it could be faulty some other way? I don’t trust the quality of that MCB…

It's possible the issues with the cable is with the voltage level. TTL is either 3.3V or 5V. What signal level is the TTL signal from the BMS?

any ideas? doing ttl to usb, cut wires of 485 module and wired directly

1663706689392.png

Back