diy solar

diy solar

Hankzor JK BMS with screen and power button

@Nami Could you PM me a picture with the ports of all the current BMS versions out there so we can identify them? I can put them together in a resource and/or the wiki so it becomes easier to keep track of new versions, changes in connectors, etc.
BTW: Not sure where this should be posted, but it is pretty darn critical as it could KILL an LFP Pack.

Default Settings Values for Temp.
1656320869501.pngShould be:
1656320934493.png

Every LFP Manufacturer essentially says the same: Imagine the result if a battery is at -10C or -20C and Frozen :rolleyes:
1656321057227.png

(32F-149F)

(-22F-149F)

Last edited:
@Nami Could you PM me a picture with the ports of all the current BMS versions out there so we can identify them? I can put them together in a resource and/or the wiki so it becomes easier to keep track of new versions, changes in connectors, etc.
IMG_7320.jpg

Sorry, I have been busy preparing for summer sale of aliexpress recently. I will have free time next month. I will edit the manual again,

Still no explanation how to identify Which Models can use a Power Button, Which use the LCD.
Maybe which Hardware / Software Versions may answer that but HOW ?
The [ABOUT] screen in the app, also shows "Manufacturing Date" but it is not, it is the date that the BMS was First Powered Up! So that is quite useless overall. It should be the Real Date of Manufacture. A line could be added "Start-Up Date" to put that info there correctly.

Last edited:
The button is lighted and press to turn on. Long press to turn off.
Thank you @hwse. So I assume the switch is actually SPST then, and two of the leads are to power the light.

I really, really don't want a lighted switch to turn the BMS on and off. It's tempting fate with those curious about the battery visiting the cabin. I'll probably disconnect one of the two light wires. Anyone know which wires are the light? I can probably figure it out once it is installed, but then it will be harder to perform the surgery.

I really, really don't want a lighted switch to turn the BMS on and off. It's tempting fate with those curious about the battery visiting the cabin. I'll probably disconnect one of the two light wires. Anyone know which wires are the light? I can probably figure it out once it is installed, but then it will be harder to perform the surgery.
You may simply leave the lighted switch AND the basic LCD monitor (which also has a power switch present on the side) disconnected from the 'LCD' port, and kept in a "secret place".

Last edited:
You may simply leave the lighted switch AND the basic LCD monitor (which also has a power switch present on the side) disconnected from the 'LCD' port, and kept in a "secret place".
Given the length of the wire this is almost a given. On my build, it must be mounted on the wall of the battery encloser. I can have is to that I reach it from inside the box or outside the box. Neither of these locations can be reached without getting into a locker and cannot be seen by anyone "curious about the battery visiting the cabin."

Given the length of the wire this is almost a given. On my build, it must be mounted on the wall of the battery encloser. I can have is to that I reach it from inside the box or outside the box. Neither of these locations can be reached without getting into a locker and cannot be seen by anyone "curious about the battery visiting the cabin."
My trailer installation is similar - underneath a hidden "bench seat" storage area, and no one else will EVER go in there. The cords (for both the GUI and the pushbutton) are too short to reach outside anyway. Outside and above the storage area, visible on the wall to its side, I've got the 3 coulomb-counter/shunt display units. They fortunately only "glow" for 30 seconds when a display control button is pushed, staying dark at other times.

I'll certainly consider that. The connector will be pretty hard to get to once everything is installed. I think I'll mount the button where it can be easily reached, but maybe leave it unplugged normally. If I have to use it I'll go through the effort to plug it in, use it, and then unplug it. Not quite what I wanted, but maybe OK.

I'll certainly consider that. The connector will be pretty hard to get to once everything is installed. I think I'll mount the button where it can be easily reached, but maybe leave it unplugged normally. If I have to use it I'll go through the effort to plug it in, use it, and then unplug it. Not quite what I wanted, but maybe OK.
Mine will be easy to reach but you need to know where to reach and it cannot be seen.

My JK has not yet deactivated itself, but it probably restarts its shutdown timer whenever it receives charge current OR gets used in a discharging manner. For the case of my "plugged in" fold-down RV travel trailer, that should never actually occur. (Even though I have no access to the JK or its on/off accessories, until I "open up" the TT after moving outside from its "in-garage" storage).

I have no idea if merely connecting to the cellphone resets that timer.

I recently upgraded my DALY BMS for the JK B2A24S20P with the larger screen. Install details are a little sketchy, but this option has the display which as a display connector and a switch wired to one end with both going into the interface box, and two cables coming out of the box which plug into the Display port and the GPS port on the BMS.

I designed and 3d printed a panel to mount the display and the on switch.

I removed the old BMS, installed the new one, double checked all connections twice, and pressed the button. It started right away, I connected instantly with the App, and set up the parameters. I am very impressed so far. I crimped both P- and B- into a 4AWG lug (one on each side) for each connection which worked well. Also inserted a connector on the switch so it could be mounted in the panel. I have done some testing and it is working perfectly. Overvoltage shutdown, balancing, etc. and am currently doing a low amperage discharge at the moment. I have balancing set to come on at at 3.4 volts which seems to be working well.

So far I am a big fan of this BMS.
1656884978985.png

JKBMS 1.jpg

JKBMS 2.jpg

JKBMS 3.jpg

JKBMS 4.jpg

JKBMS 5.jpg

Where did you get that screen? I like that it has all of the most important data presented. The original screen was just about useless for giving you what you wanted to know.

Where did you get that screen?

It's the new larger screen they sell, it's got touch etc. I showed it here in this post:

I designed and 3d printed a panel to mount the display and the on switch.

Also inserted a connector on the switch so it could be mounted in the panel.

I received my units with screen and was complaining pretty hard to JK about the fact that they soldered the switch to the wiring harness of that box.

There is literally no way to mount the switch when it's soldered, so ??? - what the heck were they thinking. I plan on unsoldering mine and putting some sort of connector on like you did, but sheesh, what a stupid thing to do.

Haven't gotten mine up and running yet, but am excited to see your setup up and running.
Link to my setup: Battery Box #2 - Preliminary

Hankzor has refunded me $38.86 from my purchase of my 4s JK BMS due to the damage to the case during shipping.
At this time, it seems to be working but I have not attempted to bend the tab back because I assume that it will break given that it is bent almost double. Is this refund a reasonable compensation for this damage due to very poor packaging?
I am concerned about the longevity of the BMS due to unseen damage from such rough handling and shock loads.

Attachments

• 20220621_093538.jpg
    20220621_093538.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 28
  • damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 27
Hankzor has refunded me $38.86 from my purchase of my 4s JK BMS due to the damage to the case during shipping.
At this time, it seems to be working but I have not attempted to bend the tab back because I assume that it will break given that it is bent almost double. Is this refund a reasonable compensation for this damage due to very poor packaging?
I am concerned about the longevity of the BMS due to unseen damage from such rough handling and shock loads.
What was the total cost you paid? I really don't think any amount of packaging would have saved what happened to yours.. It looks like it was run over by something.

$122 and change.
I would have prefer to replacement. Don't have a lot of confidence long term so I will probably buy another one and we'll get it from Docan Power because their packaging is always top notch

$122 and change.
I would have prefer to replacement. Don't have a lot of confidence long term so I will probably buy another one and we'll get it from Docan Power because their packaging is always top notch

My wild guess is that if it works it works, it won’t detoriate.

My wild guess is that if it works it works, it won’t detoriate.
I agree with that. But depending on the use you're getting from the battery, I would get a spare no matter if it was damaged or not. If it's a critical source of electricity and the BMS suddenly stops working you don't want to wait a month for a new one to arrive, but heaving a spare, already tested means you can swap it in minutes and be up and running again. This is what I'm planning to do for my vehicle build. I got the 8S versions and started testing, once I'll have the whole system done I'll get another one to keep as a spare. Lifepo4 cells are just chemistry, if they work chances of sudden failure are very slim, and they might slowly degrade at worst. But electronics have so many little parts that just one failure can make the entire hardware not function. If it's not a critical system and you can wait for shipping then, by all means, wait for it to fail, it might work for many years and when it stops you can get a newer and upgraded version.

Back