diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring Bluetti Systems

AC500+2xB300S: does anybody know what the "internal current Sensor 1" (and 2) are used for ?
I first thought it is the current to battery 0 and 1.
But after disconnecting the battery1 the "internal current sensor 2" was exactly the same value as "internal current sensor 1" (around 1,5A)

Update: I just recognised that there is also an "internal current sensor 3". I thought that the 3 is for battery pack 3 and I just disabled this entity.
But it seems that these 3 sensors are not directly related to the battery pack (on AC500 I currently use 2 batteries but I can connect 6 batteries)

Last edited:
Hi.... bought a AC70, which works just fine. Flashed the bluetooth bridge to a spare ESP32 and configured it according to the docs. I can access the web UI. Though looks like there is a change in the protocol the AC70 uses to communicate over BT. (Just to test: The Bluetti App connects just fine).
Apparently, the ESP keeps on restarting after some time, likely trying to re-connect to the AC70.
Anyone successfully connecting to a AC70 out there?

Forget it ... adjusting a few params, I just got an initial connection. Also noticed that the mqtt password should not include some special chars like a '"'. No matter if escaped using a '\' or not. And ... "AC70" shows up as "CA07"; I'll will swap bytes on the fly. But never mind: Will go from here.

Well, crap. On the one hand I'm grateful for this plugin, since I would likely not have discovered this bug in the AC300. Apparently, it can't solar charge while outputting AC off battery. Any AC load > 500 watts, throttles the Solar input to 500w, and only returns to solar charging when the AC load drops below 500w.

This is a total dealbreaker bug (feature!?). <sigh>

Attachments

• solarThrottle2.png
    solarThrottle2.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 3
Well, crap. On the one hand I'm grateful for this plugin, since I would likely not have discovered this bug in the AC300. Apparently, it can't solar charge while outputting AC off battery. Any AC load > 500 watts, throttles the Solar input to 500w, and only returns to solar charging when the AC load drops below 500w.

This is a total dealbreaker bug (feature!?). <sigh>

Contact Bluetti support, there is a firmware update that helps. Big load changes still sort of upset the MPPT on mine and cause it to hunt around for a few seconds, but it doesn't throttle like that anymore.

Contact Bluetti support, there is a firmware update that helps. Big load changes still sort of upset the MPPT on mine and cause it to hunt around for a few seconds, but it doesn't throttle like that anymore.
Good to know. I ran more tests, and found that the solar does un-throttle itself in this case:
  1. You have to reduce load to below 500w
  2. The AC load has to be under a certain threshold - still determining. I could have a 1150 load if I was generating 1300 solar.
I'll be testing more tonight. Unfortunately, I can't update the firmware (or I have the latest firmware... support has been super-unhelpful)

I'm curious where the downslope solar charging falls - my room AC brings me up to a 850w constant load and 1900w charging (just about to hit solar peak today). For example, when will solar charging fall to 500w max with my 850w load - 1300w solar? 1000?

Good to know. I ran more tests, and found that the solar does un-throttle itself in this case:
  1. You have to reduce load to below 500w
  2. The AC load has to be under a certain threshold - still determining. I could have a 1150 load if I was generating 1300 solar.
I'll be testing more tonight. Unfortunately, I can't update the firmware (or I have the latest firmware... support has been super-unhelpful)

I'm curious where the downslope solar charging falls - my room AC brings me up to a 850w constant load and 1900w charging (just about to hit solar peak today). For example, when will solar charging fall to 500w max with my 850w load - 1300w solar? 1000?

What is your indicated battery SOC? Mine throttles to AC output +~550W when it gets to 91%, even with the new firmware.

What is your indicated battery SOC? Mine throttles to AC output +~550W when it gets to 91%, even with the new firmware.

I was just testing that and was going to ask! 😂 I didn't drain the batteries as much as I would have liked before the sun came up. I'll re-test tomorrow.

I was running experiments all day - adding load (a heater AND an A/C!) to see what the transition points were. Can't make heads or tails of it, honestly.

1. Observation: Battery was 80% with AC load went to 1908 watts. Solar went from 1838w -> 500w. So, that happened when the battery wasn't > 91%
2. I was able to draw 1696w when solar was at 1808w. When load when above that, it throttled to 500w. Battery WAS around 90-91% though.
3. I was charging fine (>1700w), and decided to turn on a few more things to see when the cliff was. That made charging go down to 1300w. It stayed there for over an hour when at 1343w charging & 940w load it decided to throttle to 500w charging. 🤷‍♂️
4. I have no idea what's going on here.

Attachments

• solarThrottle4.png
    solarThrottle4.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 2
I was just testing that and was going to ask! 😂 I didn't drain the batteries as much as I would have liked before the sun came up. I'll re-test tomorrow.

I was running experiments all day - adding load (a heater AND an A/C!) to see what the transition points were. Can't make heads or tails of it, honestly.

1. Observation: Battery was 80% with AC load went to 1908 watts. Solar went from 1838w -> 500w. So, that happened when the battery wasn't > 91%
2. I was able to draw 1696w when solar was at 1808w. When load when above that, it throttled to 500w. Battery WAS around 90-91% though.
3. I was charging fine (>1700w), and decided to turn on a few more things to see when the cliff was. That made charging go down to 1300w. It stayed there for over an hour when at 1343w charging & 940w load it decided to throttle to 500w charging. 🤷‍♂️
4. I have no idea what's going on here.
#1 is what firmware fixed for me.

#1 is what firmware fixed for me.
Posted to that facebook group, got an immediate response, and just before midnight flashed the new DSP firmware. Instructions say to drain and recharge the battery, which I was planning to do anyway, so win-win cross-fingers!

Edit: Even with the issues today, I still generated 10.3 kWh! If everything went right, I would have generated almost exactly what HA's solar forecast predicted. This stuff is so cool! 🤓

Posted to that facebook group, got an immediate response, and just before midnight flashed the new DSP firmware. Instructions say to drain and recharge the battery, which I was planning to do anyway, so win-win cross-fingers!

Edit: Even with the issues today, I still generated 10.3 kWh! If everything went right, I would have generated almost exactly what HA's solar forecast predicted. This stuff is so cool! 🤓
They are pretty responsive, I hope you see improved results.

Forecast is neat when it works. Yesterday expected 9.3kWh, I got 2.5 due to clouds rolling the wrong way. Today is 9.7 and I need it!

They are pretty responsive, I hope you see improved results.

Forecast is neat when it works. Yesterday expected 9.3kWh, I got 2.5 due to clouds rolling the wrong way. Today is 9.7 and I need it!
Today it was great - predicted 13.3, and I got 12.5. Pretty cool. I did notice that for tomorrow it would fluctuate during the day between 7 and 10 for tomorrow.

Attachments

• solarUnThrottle2.png
    solarUnThrottle2.png
    199 KB · Views: 0
  • Predicted.png
    Predicted.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 0
I spent some time with HA today, following other threads on the topic and have mapped individual cell voltages for my B300's into HA. love it.

Attachments

• C03B9AC9-7DF2-417C-954D-A880940FC8E9_1_201_a.jpeg
    C03B9AC9-7DF2-417C-954D-A880940FC8E9_1_201_a.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 7
ooof... i don't have one of theese, but modbus over bluetooth.... what will theese chinese hack together next!
100% hacked together product :p

i also see wifi monitoring feat? i wouldnt be surprised if thats modbus over tcp.

also, there is a communication port. labeled #14 for AC300.
i bet its running modbus.

late to the party. just "lurking"... modbus over bluetooth caught my eye.

Hi,
bluetti-mqtt is not longer working for me, found out that an update this morning may be the case. /var/log/dpkg.log says:

Code:
2024-04-02 06:34:22 startup archives unpack
2024-04-02 06:34:24 upgrade python3-anyio:all 4.2.0-1 4.3.0-1
2024-04-02 06:34:24 status half-configured python3-anyio:all 4.2.0-1
2024-04-02 06:34:24 status unpacked python3-anyio:all 4.2.0-1
2024-04-02 06:34:24 status half-installed python3-anyio:all 4.2.0-1
2024-04-02 06:34:25 status unpacked python3-anyio:all 4.3.0-1
2024-04-02 06:34:25 startup packages configure
2024-04-02 06:34:25 configure python3-anyio:all 4.3.0-1 <none>
2024-04-02 06:34:25 status unpacked python3-anyio:all 4.3.0-1
2024-04-02 06:34:25 status half-configured python3-anyio:all 4.3.0-1
2024-04-02 06:34:27 status installed python3-anyio:all 4.3.0-1

Calling bluetti-mqtt with the correct parameters now leads to

Code:
root@bananapi:~# 2024-04-02 07:38:38 ERROR    Crashing with uncaught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/dist-packages/bluetti_mqtt/server_cli.py", line 98, in run
    devices = await check_addresses(addresses)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/dist-packages/bluetti_mqtt/bluetooth/__init__.py", line 28, in check_addresses
    devices = await BleakScanner.discover()
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/dist-packages/bleak/__init__.py", line 216, in discover
    async with cls(**kwargs) as scanner:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/dist-packages/bleak/__init__.py", line 126, in __aenter__
    await self._backend.start()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/dist-packages/bleak/backends/bluezdbus/scanner.py", line 179, in start
    adapter_path = manager.get_default_adapter()
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/dist-packages/bleak/backends/bluezdbus/manager.py", line 299, in get_default_adapter
    raise BleakError("No Bluetooth adapters found.")
bleak.exc.BleakError: No Bluetooth adapters found.
2024-04-02 07:38:38 INFO     Shutting down...

Who can help me out of this?
Thanks

Edit:

Managed to help me out for now...added trixie to the sources.list and did
Code:
apt install python3-anyio=4.2.0-1
and its working again...for now...
But next update will kill it again, I think...any suggestions how to fix this permanently really appreciated, thanks...

Edit: python3-anyio set to HOLD.

Last edited:
Back