diy solar

diy solar

MPP-SOLAR LV6548

So you’re saying I should do 5 in series even tho the VOC would be very close to 250V at 243V? The good thing is that it doesn’t get cold in Jamaica.
243V only can happen if you unplug both ends and short it out to itself. Ya know like when you stick your tongue on a 9V.the Vmp s what the panel did at 1000 w/m² test light.

Being in Jamaica, you will probably get to enjoy the Vmp (204V) quite often!

243V only can happen if you unplug both ends and short it out to itself. Ya know like when you stick your tongue on a 9V.the Vmp s what the panel did at 1000 w/m² test light.

Being in Jamaica, you will probably get to enjoy the Vmp (204V) quite often!
Thanks! that simplifies my wiring a bit. I know I can wire the panels directly to the unit without fuse/breakers but would I need a disconnect of some sort?

I use a Midnite solar DC circuit breaker for my disconnects. If you want to be code compliant, you should have a disconnect outside between the panels and the entrance to the building, so firemen can watch your house burn down or squirt water on everything and make it wet. ?

It does make it easy to turn everything off and not get hassled with the MC4 connector.

I use a Midnite solar DC circuit breaker for my disconnects. If you want to be code compliant, you should have a disconnect outside between the panels and the entrance to the building, so firemen can watch your house burn down or squirt water on everything and make it wet. ?

It does make it easy to turn everything off and not get hassled with the MC4 connector.
Either way I’m loosing all my stuff lol. It’s worth it just for the ease of disconnecting the panels for safety reasons.

The disk that came with my PIP-1012LV-MK (made on Nov 2020) that I received this month has 1.13SP7. I check on; line and on MPP SOLAR website and WATT24/7 are SP9. Right now when I try to set BYPASS FUCNTION using WatchPower, it keeps defaulting back to FORBIDDEN, but I can set what I want using the front panell button, ame issue with Operation Logic Setting.
Does your WatchPower also allow you to set Bulk Charging time? Mine is not shown that setting
The installer I have is 70 MB. PM me if you want to try it out. I can use WeTransfer to send it.

So I have two of these that I plan to hook up in parallel. I was wondering if I can do 15s instead of 16s for my battery configuration 15x3.2v = 48. If I do 15s then it would save about $200 per BMS. I'm liking the Batrium watchmon 5 which does 15s vs doing the watchmon 4 with all the 32 blockmons. I can keep adding more 15s strings in parallel and for my 32s if I made it 15s2p then I would save $400 total.

I saw the low DC warning and cold start are 46v
Low DC cutoff is 44v
high DC cutoff is 64v

Can I adjust the voltage charging parameters?

Other than a lower voltage why not do 15s? Will the unit be under powered?

So I have two of these that I plan to hook up in parallel. I was wondering if I can do 15s instead of 16s for my battery configuration 15x3.2v = 48. If I do 15s then it would save about $200 per BMS. I'm liking the Batrium watchmon 5 which does 15s vs doing the watchmon 4 with all the 32 blockmons. I can keep adding more 15s strings in parallel and for my 32s if I made it 15s2p then I would save $400 total.

I saw the low DC warning and cold start are 46v
Low DC cutoff is 44v
high DC cutoff is 64v

Can I adjust the voltage charging parameters?

Other than a lower voltage why not do 15s? Will the unit be under powered?
If you are using LiFePO4, that is not recommended. There are many other 16s BMS's designed for 16s LiFePO4, why try to use something that it is not designed for?

If you are using LiFePO4, that is not recommended. There are many other 16s BMS's designed for 16s LiFePO4, why try to use something that it is not designed for?
Why is it not recommended? Can't I still set my low voltage?

Why is it not recommended? Can't I still set my low voltage?
If you want to only use 15, you need LFP, not LiFePO4. It is a 4v cell, not a 3.2v cell.

Everything in the battery world is on the 12V scales, all the things that use batteries are expecting 12V or multiples of 12V, not 15/16th of a battery.

You will draw way more amps than necessary just to get the same amount of usage and wear out the battery and have significantly less usable voltage if you try to use 15 LiFePO4 instead of 16, in a 48V setup.

The "bulk charge curve" is designed for 48V setups. LiFePO4 48V setup, is 52.6V nominal. Lead Acid, 48V setup is 57.6V fully charged.
There are several other higher voltage cell Lithium chemistries that will work with15 cells just fine.

agree with above but another thing is assuming the LV6548 is like the LV5048 the low voltage cutoff actually cuts off the inverter and WTLL NOT ALLOW IT TO RESTART ! until the voltage is over a higher number that MAY require you to charge the batteries with a different charger to get them high enough for it to turn back on.. I suppose the voltage may "bounce back" high enough but maybe not. Suppose you could fool the inverter into turning on with some small batteries in series like alarm batteries or lawnmower batteries or even a buch of AA s but I wouldn't want the headache and constant monitoring.

I still don’t see a way in either the manual, spec sheet or LV6548 software (watchpower, phone app) to set any “rate-shifting” settings... ie: charge batteries only certain off-peak time periods.

Web site states “Timer control on AC output and charging”

Page 32 of the “SolarPower” software seems to explain AC charging windows.... But this function does not seem to be available in “WatchPower.”

Can anyone confirm this unit can actually do this.

Is there a work around?

Thnx.

Is LV6548 the only one that has UL-certification?

considering upgrading my LV2424 to this just for the UL certification (insurance company love it)

i too am interested in the lv6548. I was leaning toward the sol ark 12k but its such a pricey unit and i will be off grid so i dont need any grid tie features. tHE LV 6548 seems to have the "smart load " functionality as the sol ark where the PV produced can go straight to the load instead of to the battery, hence the battery-less option on the lv6548... i have 22KW of panels and would be able to utilize them with 3 units in parallel for the same price as the sol ark(maybe even a bit cheaper). Im glad to hear that charging an EV is more than doable with 2 units in parallel as i will be looking to do the same with 2 EV's. Was there any additional duty charges on the order from ebay? I'm in Canada and it sounds like i will have to pay extra outside the quote from buying on ebay (duties,taxes etc).

Does the lv6548 restart automatically after an overload? the sol ark seems to restart by itself

The only thing I see new on the LV6048 is that it has 6kW output AC, but LESS MPPT range (60-110VDC).
Honestly, I don't see the point of it. I would bet that the 6048 is actually two LV3024s inside one box, just like the LV5048 with 2xLV2424s in one box. If you are thinking these are redundant and can keep going if one fails, you will be sad. They are not redundant when installed. They are one unit. If one fails, it all turns off. You would have to disconnect and reconfigure it all to switch to single unit operation.

I went from LV5048 to LV6548 primarily for the much higher voltage MPPT. I have already realized a significant boost in PV capture efficiency just due to doubling the DC Voltage from the PV.

And back to the LV6548 info:
I am seeing about 60 watts, idle with two in 240V split.
One at ~23 W and one at ~36

View attachment 33011View attachment 33012

On a side note...
I blasted my car EVSE with 7.6 kW of battery during the day off-grid.
It only pulled 164 amps out of the 48V battery. ? (And no, my off-grid solar could not keep up!)
View attachment 33027
Back down to a reasonable 10 amp EVSE charge, gives a ~47 amp draw on the batteries.
View attachment 33015
My PV array is not yet rewired for this, it is still in 2 times 2s3p configuration. So what happens when you take 2s3p and make two strings into one? You get a 4s3p configuration, a 60V string becomes 120V. Same 12 panels, just one silly long string.

View attachment 33023View attachment 33024

View attachment 33025 View attachment 33026

My solar array is not at all optimized for my latitude, it is at about a 5° incline, and should be about 38°. So I am really missing out on a lot of daily Sun because of the roof of my utility room. It's OK though because usually on clear days, the battery bank is fully charged by 10:00 AM, even in the middle of winter like it is now.
when you charge your car at 7.6kw is that all coming from your battery or from your solar and battery? if you have enough solar to keep up with the demand would you be able to charge your car anytime the sun is shining? or do you deplete the battery and then have to wait for the battery to recharge before you can start charging your car again?
I am looking for a system where i can charge my car whenever my pv is producing above say 10kw and it go directly do my car and not have to go to the battery first,then the car.I feel i would need a huge battery to be able to reliable charge my car on any sunny day. the sol ark smart load seems to be capable and i am hoping that the lv6548 could do this. any comments on this would be great

i read the manual and have answered most of my questions :)
however i couldnt find an answer to using my lifepo4 10kwh with BMS but no communication port.... im sure its possible maybe i have to manually set voltage settings?

when you charge your car at 7.6kw is that all coming from your battery or from your solar and battery? if you have enough solar to keep up with the demand would you be able to charge your car anytime the sun is shining? or do you deplete the battery and then have to wait for the battery to recharge before you can start charging your car again?
I am looking for a system where i can charge my car whenever my pv is producing above say 10kw and it go directly do my car and not have to go to the battery first,then the car.I feel i would need a huge battery to be able to reliable charge my car on any sunny day. the sol ark smart load seems to be capable and i am hoping that the lv6548 could do this. any comments on this would be great
The charging is from the battery, and solar if available. I only have 800 to 1400 watts PV though at this time of year.

i too am interested in the lv6548. I was leaning toward the sol ark 12k but its such a pricey unit and i will be off grid so i dont need any grid tie features. tHE LV 6548 seems to have the "smart load " functionality as the sol ark where the PV produced can go straight to the load instead of to the battery, hence the battery-less option on the lv6548... i have 22KW of panels and would be able to utilize them with 3 units in parallel for the same price as the sol ark(maybe even a bit cheaper). Im glad to hear that charging an EV is more than doable with 2 units in parallel as i will be looking to do the same with 2 EV's. Was there any additional duty charges on the order from ebay? I'm in Canada and it sounds like i will have to pay extra outside the quote from buying on ebay (duties,taxes etc).

Does the lv6548 restart automatically after an overload? the sol ark seems to restart by itself
My LV5048 uses the PV without going through the battery as I am sure the LV6548 does in fact there are displays showing the amps battery charging and the load watts or KWhr . Remember if you plan on doing 240v split phase you will need an even number of LV6548 s or use as 2 different panels with 3 units 0ne for a 120 panel and 2 for a 240 split panel but you would also need 2 sets of batteries maybe. You definitely need at least 3 units for 22kw of panels and maybe more depending on their voltage and wattage of individual panels since current limited to 18 amps and voltage limited to 250v. If you have say 300 watt panels with VOC of 9.1 then you can't parallel and would only be able to connect about 6 to each MPPT circuit The 18 amps may be very limiting for many potential users. 450v with 18 amps would be much more useful. You might be able to put 2 strings in parallel to each MPPT though. You would also need 2 Solark 12 s if you went that route for 22kw of panels. Remember also the LV 6548 like many other units are not Batteryless when used in parallel.

Back