diy solar

diy solar

My16 CATL's are here! love some input on doing this right!

So it sounds like I need the following

1. 100 amp 16 s BMS
2. wiz bang Jr ( not sure what that is yet but hey! the internet !)
3. Heating pad system
4 Charging unit to top balance the batteries.
5 Posable assorted wire and cables.

6. Fuses for each cell?

7. Time to dedicate to doing this correctly.

how that list sounding?

many thanks
Jeff

Hey Steve s
Can you tell me that more about the wiz bang Jr. Is this different from what I have currently That calculates my state of charge?

Id have to double check when I get home, but Im pretty sure our "service Main breaker" is a 60 amp. and we have never tripped it.
Just checking back at home and the whole house system is actually a 30 amp double pole breaker. So seem like a 100 amp bms should would.
Seem right?

The 30 amp double pole breaker is on the AC side, correct? That 30 amp on the AC side equates to ~75 amps on the DC side. (30 amps x 120 volts / 48 volts = 75 amps) If you take into account inverter inefficiency then the number of amps on the DC side goes up, probably to around 86 amps for an inefficient inverter (85% efficient).

Yup ac side.
Thanks for the numbers.
Still that seem to work for the overkill 16 s bms. That seem right?

It’s a small home we built entirely our self we knew we were off grid so we optimize for efficiency at every stage of the build. So far the 30 amp service has not seemed to be a problem. The breaker was size by a local reputable solar company who helped us source our components.

Couple more questions, mainly since my magnum 4400 Has a battery monitoring system link below is it still advisable for me to get the wizbang Junior? Or do they they serve different functions also if I get the wiz bang Junior can I connect it to the same shunt as my current battery monitoring system or do I need a new one or do I abandon my current battery monitoring system?

Help much appreciated!!

The WizBang Junior is for a Midnite Classic Charge Control, the Wiz uses a Deltec 500A/75mv Shunt, its features and info are accessed by the Midnite SCC and the software that goes with it.

Hey folks,
As I said I finally got my 302 Ah CATL cells form Michel! ( big thanks there!) Now I need to hook them up!! ( so excited)
I know there are couple of good write ups out there, but I seem to have lost my links for them also. I was hoping some folks might have some specific advice for my situation.

These calls are replacing my 8 CB6 Amg Lead acid batteries on our0-off grid home. It is a 48 V system with an existing Midnight Change controler.
The batteries are in a well insulated external shed that mostly stays above 32* F most of the winter in Wyoming but not a guarantee.
I have Buss bars,

Questions:
1 Will the midnight Controller work? any settings that will need to be Changed?
2 What is the best/ recommendations for a 16 cell BMS? (the Cells will need to to reach 48 V)
3. Are there Low current draw heating mat options to protect the cells if it gets cold?
4. What else should I be aware of?, Places I can get into trouble, avoid fires etc...

Thank you all for your help and pointing me in the right direction!
Im looking to make a similar purchase and was wondering if I could get the sellers information. Thank you.

I got mine from Michael Caro on this site
It was a bit of leap of faith but it ended up great, It took a while to get my cells due to supply Chain issues 9 months or so but I planned for that. Also at times it was hard to get ahold of Michael and it made me nervous at times. But it was very positive I recommend reaching out to him.
Send him a pm.

Not so sure if that's a good suggestions. Things pretty much turned to the worse, and unless all issues are magicly resolved I won't recommend Michael

Better go for Amy at Luyuan (matched/binned cells) or Docan (especially if you're in the US - fast from their local warehouse)

Back