diy solar

diy solar

Natural Gas generator efficiency

byteharmony

Sunny side up please.
While I continue to collect and grow batteries wondering if it would be cheaper to have a natural gas generator that feeds the sol ark to charge batteries when the weather is bad and my power company is charging peak rates ($0.18 / kwh).

From what I read online a natural gas generator cost of power is about $0.08 / kwh.

Does anyone have any experience / thoughts on this?

Of course there is also the benefit of grid failure and having a backup.

I think a generator is going to cost more like $0.50 to $1.00/kWh.
The natural gas itself could be a fraction of that, but look up engine efficiency, energy per BTU (or whatever your units) and check the math yourself.

One guy here with a diesel generator calculated total cost of $1.00/kWh

I think PV can be $0.025/kWh, amortized over 20 years, if you capture and use all of it. More likely, you install 2x to 3x what you need in the best conditions so it supplies enough in almost all conditions, costing $0.075

But "weather is bad", PV may not make much.
How often is weather that bad? $0.18/kWh on cloudy days (from the utility) sounds like a bargain. Just buy it.
Use generator during occasional power failure if required.
Use PV (possibly zero export) when the sun shines.

Since Hedges answered the economics part of your question here is another piece of the puzzle that may be of interest.

Couple of years ago I converted a Champion Gasoline open frame inverter generator to dual fuel by adding a Nat Gas Kit consisting of a regulator and the venturi adapter plate & some hardware. In the process of researching I discovered the combustion characteristics of nat gas vs. gasoline are different.
Enough so that a typical gasoline engine with a compression ratio of 8-9 is not ideal for nat gas and the output is reduced by 10 to 15%. Generators that are tuned for nat gas have higher compression ratios around 12. While you could use gasoline also at that higher compression ratio, it would require octane additives or aviation fuel.
Moral of the story, there is really no such thing as a dual or tri-fuel generator. Any products that claim to be are compromises and its necessary to adjust your expectations based on what fuel you want to use.

While I continue to collect and grow batteries wondering if it would be cheaper to have a natural gas generator that feeds the sol ark to charge batteries when the weather is bad and my power company is charging peak rates ($0.18 / kwh).

From what I read online a natural gas generator cost of power is about $0.08 / kwh.

Does anyone have any experience / thoughts on this?

Of course there is also the benefit of grid failure and having a backup.
Depends on how many therms your generator uses at Your power needs and the price per therm Your company charges you along with run time.

A 20 kw Generator will burn at 1/4 load 157 cubic feet of gas per hour and almost 300 cubic feet per hour at full load.

NG is sold in Therms which is 100 cubic Feet.

Right now where I am a Therm for residential is $1.80.

So if you ran you generator full tilt for 5 hours it would be 1500 Cubic feet or 15 therms or $27.

That is here. You have to find out you power needs, your generator usage and your cost per therm at your house.

IMHO is is better to have more panels.

A generator gets 30% conversion efficiency from fuel to electric on a good day.

natural gas generator cost of power is about $0.08 / kwh.
$0.08 / kwh * 30% efficiency = $0.2666 / kwh

Most day it doesn't get 30% so no doesn't make any sense.

One guy here with a diesel generator calculated total cost of $1.00/kWh
Moral of the story, there is really no such thing as a dual or tri-fuel generator. Any products that claim to be are compromises and its necessary to adjust your expectations based on what fuel you want to use.
Thx guys, I'm not looking for a quick simple fix that is costly. Looking more for efficiency. What would something like a 7.5kW Generac PowerPact

I would have my Sol Ark 15k auto trigger the start of the generator when the battery is low.

The Sol Ark would be programmed to draw the maximum power efficiency amount (30 - 50 amps.. I'd need to know exactly what).

The sol ark would apply that power to loads first, the charger second. After batteries reach a predefined level it would be turned off by the sol ark.

That is here. You have to find out you power needs, your generator usage and your cost per therm at your house.

IMHO is is better to have more panels.
Cost per therm here is $0.5597

I will have about 50 panels.

My plan is to start with grid tie net meter 1 month billing. Time of use is 2 rates, 7 AM to 7 PM $0.18, $0.08 after hours.
My sol ark will switch to battery primary at 7 AM to avoid the $0.18.
Any solar created goes to loads, then battery, then grid.

To pay for a $2000 generator over a 25 year period if it is just used for overage, if it produced power at $0.08 it would only need to produce 66 kwh per month.

That's why I'm asking about generator efficiency.

I understand most people run generators and do not draw the load the generator can produce resulting in a huge amount of waste. Since I would only run the generator when I can draw all the power into the battery my efficiency would be higher. How high? That is the question.

Thx guys, I'm not looking for a quick simple fix that is costly. Looking more for efficiency. What would something like a 7.5kW Generac PowerPact

I would have my Sol Ark 15k auto trigger the start of the generator when the battery is low.

The Sol Ark would be programmed to draw the maximum power efficiency amount (30 - 50 amps.. I'd need to know exactly what).

The sol ark would apply that power to loads first, the charger second. After batteries reach a predefined level it would be turned off by the sol ark.

Cost per therm here is $0.5597

I will have about 50 panels.

My plan is to start with grid tie net meter 1 month billing. Time of use is 2 rates, 7 AM to 7 PM $0.18, $0.08 after hours.
My sol ark will switch to battery primary at 7 AM to avoid the $0.18.
Any solar created goes to loads, then battery, then grid.

To pay for a $2000 generator over a 25 year period if it is just used for overage, if it produced power at $0.08 it would only need to produce 66 kwh per month.

That's why I'm asking about generator efficiency.

I understand most people run generators and do not draw the load the generator can produce resulting in a huge amount of waste. Since I would only run the generator when I can draw all the power into the battery my efficiency would be higher. How high? That is the question.
I can’t answer your question about efficiency without asking a whole lot of questions.

Forgive me but why generator at all?

Are you worried about not having enough batteries? Not enough Solar to charge them?

With your off peak rates so low you could use utilities to charge battery unless you just want them out of the picture completely.

My array is designed for winter and I over produce in the summer.

Right now that’s going to waste but I’m working on diverting through Sol-Ark generator breaker.

$0.08 after hours.
you got an insanely low off peak rate. You can never compete with a generator with that.

Just buy enough batteries - charge during off peak and call it a day.
$2000 generator over a 25 year period if it is just used for overage

a $2000 generator will never last 25 years, be happy if it's last 5 years. You need to change the oil every 100 hours, and lots of other stupid maintenance. Do you want to buy a hobby? Are you bored?

You need to spend like $10-15k for something which lasts 25 years.

I was doing this calculation once for my 5500W Onan generator, which needs 1/2 gallon with no load and 3/4- 1 gallon per hour at full load.
Getting about 5kw/h into the batteries per hour. so it's 1 Gallon for 5kwh.

It's not really something I would be recommending permanent. 60cents - $1 per kw/h It's very expensive to run that thing.

Just so that you know 1 gallon is roughly 33kw/h. It might have made sense when gasoline was a $1.5 but not in $3-4 times.

I can’t answer your question about efficiency without asking a whole lot of questions.

Forgive me but why generator at all?

I was lead to believe that a good generator run properly would produce power at a lower cost than my public utility.

Are you worried about not having enough batteries?

Yes, in the short run, 1-5 years. No in the long run.

Not enough Solar to charge them?
I don't know yet. I currently have 5KW of solar and no grid tie or batteries. My energy bill is still $250 per month. I use a lot of power.

With the changes I'm making I expect a radical change in my power costs.
With your off peak rates so low you could use utilities to charge battery unless you just want them out of the picture completely.
That is the plan, for this next version of the system. As soon as I go off peak rates, switch from battery draw to utility.
My array is designed for winter and I over produce in the summer.
Mine is presently limited to what I draw. Since I have more draw, I can ask for more solar. Once I go from 20 to 50 solar panels I plan to increase my draw: electric car, electric lawn mower, electric snow blower, etc.

Then more panels, but once I hit 20kw the programs for the utility and insurance change. Maybe not terrible but I have no experience with them yet.
you got an insanely low off peak rate. You can never compete with a generator with that.

Just buy enough batteries - charge during off peak and call it a day.
That is the present plan based on this news that generators are not great.
a $2000 generator will never last 25 years, be happy if it's last 5 years. You need to change the oil every 100 hours, and lots of other stupid maintenance. Do you want to buy a hobby? Are you bored?
I estimate in the summer if I have 2 days of battery power on hand that it would run perhaps 2 - 4 hours per month.
In the winter, probably more like: 8 - 10.
With that use I would expect 1 oil change per year.
Is this a hobby: yes
Am I bored: No, I have a hobby ;).

You need to spend like $10-15k for something which lasts 25 years.
Great input, thx, perhaps it's also that range of cash to acquire a generator that is $0.08 / kwh efficiency?

I was doing this calculation once for my 5500W Onan generator, which needs 1/2 gallon with no load and 3/4- 1 gallon per hour at full load.
Getting about 5kw/h into the batteries per hour. so it's 1 Gallon for 5kwh.

It's not really something I would be recommending permanent. 60cents - $1 per kw/h It's very expensive to run that thing.

Just so that you know 1 gallon is roughly 33kw/h. It might have made sense when gasoline was a $1.5 but not in $3-4 times.
I appreciate the information. I keep hearing people talk about gas or diesel. I have a little 120v gas generator. I've never calculated the $/kwh because the cost was more about losing food (refrigerators, I have 6), and communications / internet.

I am only interested in natural gas because I have a pipe feeding my home. I would never recoup the time it takes to go get gas regularly. That is not a hobby I'm interested in. As it stands I'm taking out all the gas powered stuff and replacing it with electric so I can spend more time with the electric hobby I enjoy.

I wondered if this one natural gas powered engine was the one that would provide freedom from the grid. From what I'm hearing so far, it is not efficient enough to do so.

perhaps it's also that range of cash to acquire a generator that is $0.08 / kwh efficiency?
For getting down to that level you need to buy natural gas for 2-3 cent's kw/h very unlikely that energy prices are going to go down that far. The current wholesale price for natural gas is around 5-6 kw/h

With a generator you can't get to 8 cents/kwh when you buy fuel for 6 cents. Those things are not 80% efficient.

the most optimal scenario for a natural gas generator is
You buy gas for 6 cents /kwh
You get 25% efficiency to the battery

$0.06 / 0.25 = $0.24 That is the floor, no maintenance, no spare parts or your time included

"I appreciate the information. I keep hearing people talk about gas or diesel. I have a little 120v gas generator. I've never calculated the $/kwh because the cost was more about losing food (refrigerators, I have 6), and communications / internet."

Agreed. That's why I have 2 portable generators AND solar - redundancy. Had the gens before I got into solar. Converted both to tri-fuel for a just-in-case scenario. At the time I really didn't care about payback time or kwh cost etc...All I knew is I didn't want to be one of those guys on tv after a disaster standing in line holding a gas can.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. I hope many enjoy reading this. I have a new question:
What's the cheapest way to provide electricity automatically from natural gas. Not cost / kw, but cost of accusation.

All I knew is I didn't want to be one of those guys on tv standing in line holding a gas can.
:love:

the most optimal scenario for a natural gas generator is
You buy gas for 6 cents /kwh
You get 25% efficiency to the battery

$0.06 / 0.25 = $0.24 That is the floor, no maintenance, no spare parts or your time included
Actually i looked a little closer to my bill and I looked up generic's efficiency on google: (not sure if this is a legit source but put some numbers together quick:

I purchase natural gas for
0.7106​
$ / therm
0.007107​
$ / cu ft N.G.

Generac Natural Gas Generators

Natural Gas (ft³/hr)50% LoadEfficiencyElectricity cost100% LoadEfficiencyElectricity cost
16kW19324.1 ft/kW24.1ft/kw0.17128886$/kw31219.5 ft/kW
19.5​
ft/kw0.13859472$/kw
20kW20520.5 ft/kW20.5ft/kw0.14570214$/kw30816.4 ft/kW
16.4​
ft/kw0.11656171$/kw
22kW18416.7 ft/kW16.7ft/kw0.11869394$/kw28112.7 ft/kW
12.7​
ft/kw0.09026425$/kw

So we never find rates that beat the utility off peak $0.08.
For on peak we do beat the $0.18 rate.

HOWEVER

These are all 16kW and up units. The few web searches I did say they output 200 AMPS of 240v. That sounds like crap, maybe peak. I believe a 16kW generator at best would put out 66 amps (16kw/240v). I won't have batteries that will charge that fast (take that much current) for a while. Even if I did there are always losses in efficiency.

The smallest I saw was the 7.5kw (/ 240v = 31.25 AMPS). That seems reasonable for a battery goal with a sol ark 15k.

All this considered.

If the 7.5kw could produce the power at $0.14 / kw (not likely but if it could). Then there is still the acquisition cost, maintenance cost, real-estate cost, noise and replacement / warranty. Are these costs lower than the costs of being free from the grid / utility / NEC codes and inspectors?

In my case no.

However it's inspiring to know that we can, with modern technology get great value from solar power if we consume first, store second and sell third. If you need insurance, a small generator on auto start will give you an ability to consider cost effectively going off grid if you have no cheap existing on grid solution.

Thanks everyone who took this adventure with me.

If you want to generate power most efficiently from natural gas, you use it to fuel a gas turbine power plant, then used the waste heat in a steam power plant (combined cycle), then you use the low grade waste heat for process or domestic heat.

On a more practical scale, you can capture the waste heat from radiator and exhaust pipe of a small generator and use that for domestic heat. This might get you from 30% efficiency to 60% and higher. This is called Combined Heat and Power (CHP). It has also been done with fuel cells.

A generator powered by natural gas or propane seems the best for backup to PV and grid, because the fuel won't go bad. But it costs more than either.
As for your $250 electric bill, just put in more solar. Net metering if possible, zero-export otherwise.

You say you have a lot of batteries. What technology?
I think AGM costs $0.50/kWh (over its lifespan), FLA costs $0.25/kWh. Commercial lithium can be as much as $0.50 or as little as $0.05/kWh, if cycled the thousands of times claimed.
PV at $0.025 (and less, operated beyond 20 years) is the best deal but only works on a sunny day.

As for your Generac natural gas tables, what is it when you add in amortized capital cost over usable life, and maintenance?

I found it to be far more efficient to burn gas to heat water, cooking, dry clothes than to power generator to do the same through batteries.

If you want to generate power most efficiently from natural gas, you use it to fuel a gas turbine power plant, then used the waste heat in a steam power plant (combined cycle), then you use the low grade waste heat for process or domestic heat.
This a bit of a tangent but had to comment, CHP is interesting technology but unfortunately has not really become popular probably due to the initial costs plus ongoing maintenance needs. I was involved with a couple of projects with Nat Gas co-generation turbines where the waste heat was being used in a Lithium Bromide Absorption Chiller to make cold water for air conditioning on a So Cal Gas Co campus. In another case the co-generation turbine waste heat was being used by a school district to heat their olympic size swimming pool.

For residential it would be possible to use concentrating PV arrays to make electricity and hot water. The hot water could then be used for domestic water heating, space heating, pool heating and operating an absorption chiller for air conditioning and maybe even refrigeration of food. The cost and complexity of such a system would be mind boggling. To make it even worse, I suppose you could tie in a wood burning boiler as a back up to make hot water.
I've gone completely off topic here sorry, was just thinking out loud.

cheapest in operating costs/efficiency? Or cheapest up front costs?

Bloom fuel cells can run on Nat gas, I don’t think you can beat their efficiency, but up front costs are huge.

As for any natural gas generator you have to talk to your gas utility, the rate you see for heating may not be the same if you have a generator added on plus may require a regulator change out.

As for any natural gas generator you have to talk to your gas utility, the rate you see for heating may not be the same if you have a generator added on plus may require a regulator change out.
Good point, after we installed 2 tankless water heaters and a nat gas generator in addition to our furnace and 5 burner stove we called the Gas Company and had a tech come out to assess the situation. He determined we needed to upgrade the meter to get proper flow rates without the pressure dropping too low.

I was lead to believe that a good generator run properly would produce power at a lower cost than my public utility.

By who? a lubetube video of a perpetual motion machine Electric Companies don’t want you to see?

If TOU rates sky rocket for peak hours I think that’s the only thing that could make financial sense.

But smallish (<25kwhr) standby generators by the big marketing companies (kholer, generac) aren’t designed for say 10000 hours of use. More like 50hr/year for 10 years. Generator heads will wear out, bearings of the motor will give out.

Back