diy solar

diy solar

Need BMS for eve 280 cells

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Pulling trigger on some 280s since prices are cheap and want to figure proof my new 48v build. Looking at SEPLOS v3 200amp BMS. Wish they had 300amp to pull full cell power, if needed but most likely will never go over 8k watts peak anyway. SEPLOS still seems to be the most inverter compatible for communications. SEPLOS says they work with LUX, wonder if the 18kPV or 6000xp work with it. New JK seems like it needs work. Any thoughts on other BMS out there.

Pulling trigger on some 280s since prices are cheap and want to figure proof my new 48v build. Looking at SEPLOS v3 200amp BMS. Wish they had 300amp to pull full cell power, if needed but most likely will never go over 8k watts peak anyway. SEPLOS still seems to be the most inverter compatible for communications. SEPLOS says they work with LUX, wonder if the 18kPV or 6000xp work with it. New JK seems like it needs work. Any thoughts on other BMS out there.
You mentioned pulling 300a... battery hookup have some 300a ... good to have some wriggle room... they are made by Xiaoxiang.. which I believe is JK...

160ma balancing... so not ideal but heavy duty bms that’s for sure

Does anyone know if SEPLOS allows their active balance board to start at a certain voltage or is it on all the time?

Wish they had 300amp to pull full cell power
There are contactor based BMSs for that kind of power. I would not trust a FET based BMS to be reliable at that Amperage under load. There is a reason every EV uses a contactor. Even my model JBD 200 Amp BMS uses a contactor. The other issue with that size cell is the balancing current may not be enough if the cells are not perfectly matched. That is why active balances with 1 and 2 Amp balancing current are popular.

There are contactor based BMSs for that kind of power. I would not trust a FET based BMS to be reliable at that Amperage under load. There is a reason every EV uses a contactor. Even my model JBD 200 Amp BMS uses a contactor. The other issue with that size cell is the balancing current may not be enough if the cells are not perfectly matched. That is why active balances with 1 and 2 Amp balancing current are popular.
So how to tell whether the ZiaoZiang is contractor or fet based I wonder... ?

I'm pretty sure the BMS in the link above is a JBD model, based on the app provided. I've used the same app with my 150A JBD BMS units. The JBD-AP21S002 silk-screened on the PCB also gives it away. I would hazard a guess that it is contactor based just on the size of the unit. And the large terminals/bolts shown in the same pic as the model #. ?

packrat

So, if you need to pull 300a, you need 2 bms'es

Seplos is 200a Mac charge and 200a Max discharge
Balancing board is always on, and not worth it, if you need active balancing , you need a needy 4a, which is full configurable

If the 18kpv or 6000 support pylontech it should work just fine

On a personal note, I am not impressed by the V3 , I'd stick to the V2 ( 10e) , possibly you could get a good deal on them too

As to the jbd, it seems almost in bèta, and IMHO no where near production ready

I'm pretty sure the BMS in the link above is a JBD model, based on the app provided. I've used the same app with my 150A JBD BMS units. The JBD-AP21S002 silk-screened on the PCB also gives it away. I would hazard a guess that it is contactor based just on the size of the unit. And the large terminals/bolts shown in the same pic as the model #. ?

packrat
I think ZiaoZiang is like some major parent company that makes branded bms.. like JBD..
1704111326788.jpeg

I think ZiaoZiang is like some major parent company that makes branded bms.. like JBD..
View attachment 186192
1704111419582-jpeg.186193

Think you’re right about being contactor.. big fat boy...

Attachments

• 3016DAAC-E1EA-4ED5-8FD8-AB6C4E6C4DB5.jpeg
    3016DAAC-E1EA-4ED5-8FD8-AB6C4E6C4DB5.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 18
So, if you need to pull 300a, you need 2 bms'es

Seplos is 200a Mac charge and 200a Max discharge
Balancing board is always on, and not worth it, if you need active balancing , you need a needy 4a, which is full configurable

If the 18kpv or 6000 support pylontech it should work just fine

On a personal note, I am not impressed by the V3 , I'd stick to the V2 ( 10e) , possibly you could get a good deal on them too

As to the jbd, it seems almost in bèta, and IMHO no where near production ready
I need to look at the V2 and it’s compatibly. Did more research on the Seplos balance board and it seems like it manually activated and not on all the time unless you forget to turn it off via the button. You can’t tweak the voltage start stop unfortunately.

Appreciate all the feedback. I’ve done a lot with weird battery hookup cells and heltek balancers. Now that EVE are so cheap it’s time to step up my game and want to have it be flexible.

Besides the sub optimal balancing I'm a big fan of the JBD contactor based. I've been running 2 200a and a 300a with no issues. The 300a is beefy (photo attached).

I've considered switching to JK, for the active balancing, when I build my 4th pack.
I'll probably just add a dedicated balancer since I know and trust the JBDs.

From what I've read the seplos v3 are a poor choice, prior versions are better.

Attachments

• IMG_20231013_123239.jpg
    IMG_20231013_123239.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 20
Besides the sub optimal balancing I'm a big fan of the JBD contactor based. I've been running 2 200a and a 300a with no issues. The 300a is beefy (photo attached).

I've considered switching to JK, for the active balancing, when I build my 4th pack.

That’s good to hear... they’re beefy units.. I’ve no plans to run 300a but the fact that they can...

That’s good to hear... they’re beefy units.. I’ve no plans to run 300a but the fact that they can...
If the cells can take it like the 280s or 304s, is there a reason not to pull 300, rarely would but seems like an option.

Do the JBDs have comms with any inverters? My overkills 100a JBDs do not.

Do the JBDs have comms with any inverters? My overkills 100a JBDs do not.
If you do a bunch of additional work, somewhere there's a post about it.

I got them to communicate with SA fairly easily. That's all I'm concerned about since I run open loop.

Edit to add they do have an inverter BMS, I have no experience with it.

Back