diy solar

diy solar

Need COMMERCIAL OFF-GRID BUILDER for LARGE project

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
My company has tasked my team to design, build, install, service and support approx 50 (fifty) OFF-GRID systems.

Absolutely no way that my team can remotely do this - we don't have the expertise, time, capacity or training.

We are looking for a contractor - with experience - that can install an off-grid solar system into a 10x8' Connex container - with all the SCC and batteries and peripheral stuff inside -- and for the installation to meet basic electrical codes. Also a 20KW diesel generator will be connected to the Container and approx 8KW of solar panels.

My boss is REALLY a RENOGY fan -- BUT I don't care -- so we can leave the actual inside components up to you ... all I care is that this works - has some sort of warranty -- and the equipment is not some weird off brand no one has heard of ...

We have the (50) 10x8 double door, insulated, lined, connex containers already with split air installed.

We will purchase ALL the supplies you require unless they can do it lighter/faster/cheaper.

Labour Terms is typically NET30 after successful testing at build location simply becuase our finance divisions are out of Houston and LA and it just takes that long to get things processed. And YES we can pay as you go upon completion - minimum of 5 at a time. (Sorry getting way to much in the weeds)

NOW all I have to find is someone to do the full installation. YEAH this is NOT going to be ONE guy working out of his garage (LOL) ... We can have all the containers delivered to anywhere in the US for the work to be done -- OR - we have a huge facility in South Texas where they are all lined up that you can work from. OR we can send 5 at a time to you ...

If anyone knows of any company/team that does OFF-GRID installations let me know ...

Otherwise I will probably wind up ordering 50 of these from the motherland BUT would much rather have our dollars going toward some US company local / small business...

Power system includes Min. 1200 A @ 48 V DC lithium technology battery storage and min 8.kW Solar Panels. We need to be able via generator or solar via batteries make 48 V output DC supply 6000 W (DC/DC stabilized) 24/7

EDIT -- we have a Hyundai 18kW / 22kVA Three Phase, 400v / 230v Diesel Generator for each of these conex's to make up for what solar cannot generate ...

Last edited:
Off the shelf:

(no idea of lead time)

You didn't specify kW. (or MW)

But that probably isn't a packaged solution with battery.

This one is just a big battery inverter, I think:

There should be containerized battery/inverter systems already made, by somebody.

Off the shelf:

(no idea of lead time)

You didn't specify kW. (or MW)

Thx ... that one fits a 20' container and I have to keep it at 10' ... BUT will reach out to them and see if they have anything else they suggest ... I wonder if there are any @sma people on this forum?

Power system includes Min. 1200 A @ 48 V DC lithium technology battery storage and min 8.kW Solar Panels. We need to be able via generator or solar via batteries make 48 V output DC supply 6000 W (DC/DC stabilized) 24/7
You need at least 36 kW of solar and 96 kWh of storage (2000Ah) to support 6kW 24/7 from one 4 hour sun day.

This one is just a big battery inverter, I think:

There should be containerized battery/inverter systems already made, by somebody.

Yeah we had reached out to them BUT never heard back ...

Produce 48V? No AC, no inverter?

6kW of course almost 1000x smaller than those SMA products for utility scale.

Sounds like it will cycle at least 72kWh every night. More due to low PV morning/evening, so at least 140 kWh of battery.
Assuming 5 hours effective sun, 28kW of PV. Off-season worse, so 50kW or more PV.
And generator fills in as needed.

Produce 48V? No AC, no inverter?

6kW of course almost 1000x smaller than those SMA products for utility scale.

Sounds like it will cycle at least 72kWh every night. More due to low PV morning/evening, so at least 140 kWh of battery.
Assuming 5 hours effective sun, 28kW of PV. Off-season worse, so 50kW or more PV.
And generator fills in as needed.

We have 50 of these ...

1705172228253.png

Sounds similar to telecom applications. There should be packaged solutions from that industry. Much of what comes up is smaller.
Is -48VDC OK or do you need floating or positive?

We need to be able via generator or solar via batteries make 48 V output DC supply 6000 W (DC/DC stabilized) 24/7
Can you equipment handle 48 - 58Vdc range? Usually 48V nominal equipment has internal dc-dc converters that can handle wide range of input voltages but are often limited to +/-10% in firmware. If you can get your gear to work up to 60V then you can forgo having to place intermediate dc converter between 16s LFP battery and your equipment. Easier and more efficient.

There are Pylontech US5000 batteries using 15S LFP cell stack that have 46 - 52V usable voltage range within 5 - 98% SOC. Most 48V equipment should be happy.

design, build, install, service and support approx...

...Absolutely no way that my team can remotely do this - we don't have the expertise, time, capacity or training.
Seriously, this seems pretty straight-forward with plug and play components. Is it a time constraint issue or the remote thing? I alone could build two a day without a garage and plenty of beer breaks.

If you haven’t already purchased those generators, do yourself a favour and get a better brand. If you have already purchased them get a better brand anyway - these will be lucky to last 1000 hours.

Hyundai generators have no affiliation at all with Hyundai motor vehicles. Just a cheap nasty crap pile with a Hyundai sticker.

Good luck with the rest of your project, if you were in Australia I’d suggest red-earth for your needs - they build just what you are looking for if you can freight them from here.

This is a Red-Earth “kookaburra” - they will make you any variation you need though.

If my boss loved Renogy - I’d quit my job. I can’t stand working with crappy equipment or stupid people.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 12
If my boss loved Renogy - I’d quit my job. I can’t stand working with crappy equipment or stupid people.
My thoughts exactly.
Ghost, have you contacted Current Connected, I think they could actually do this for you.

Back