diy solar

diy solar

New 10kw NHX AIO From Watts247

I'm not sure on the W247 NHX.
I haven't used the grid sell back feature on my ASF. The only way I know the power is out is if I hear my neighbors generator.
Make sure your provider approves whatever unit you choose to sell back... Some have a list of approved models.
Your srne can sell back to the grid?

Ian has a video up on the NHX inverter. I need that solar awning as well.
Thanks for posting this. I appreciate that the video showed some grid interactive features but I still think the focus was a little too much on off grid capability when the real market for this should be retrofit applications and grid interactivity.

I would like to see
-how this unit ac couples to an existing grid tie system
-how it uses the battery to reduce grid use on the input side while still supplying the output side.( Grid support and peak shave)
-how the zero export features work.
- selling from battery to grid (many pocos pay for this during high demand time)

I hope we see a follow up video. It may be a megarevo but it looks like it's a working megarevo. I'm not going to write this one off just yet and if we get clarity I could see myself buying one

Where electricity goes for dummies please.

Graphic from the NHX manual linked from Watts247: When configured like this the nhx can feed both home loads and grid, and it does this by bumping up the hz a small amount above grid value. Where does the excess power the nhx feeds past the ct's go; grid, home, both and how is this determined?

x
1708780366244.png

Graphic from the NHX manual linked from Watts247: When configured like this the nhx can feed both home loads and grid, and it does this by bumping up the hz a small amount above grid value. Where does the excess power the nhx feeds past the ct's go; grid, home, both and how is this determined?

x
View attachment 198020
It doesn't need to bump up the frequency. It can't. Grid is too strong. It bumps up the voltage a bit. It uses the CTs to sense the home loads and supplies those from battery or pv

Home loads and grid are both connected to 'grid' on the inverter.
Correct. So without the CTs the excess pv would flow to the grid, but any active home loads would use the power first.

Think of a grid tie inverter. It's always pushing power to the grid but home loads use it first.

But, if you add a CT, now the inverter knows exactly what the home loads are using and you can set the inverter to curtail output to only supply those home loads. Or you can set it to push all the excess to the grid/loads. The CTs give a lot of configuration options

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwy
Ok ... yeah ... no ... nope. I don't get it. The CTs are before the split of home load/grid. Wouldn't the CTs just say this is how much current is either coming in to, or going out of the inverter? How does the inverter know if the electrons are making a left or a right after the home load/grid split? Maybe a link that goes into more detail?

x
View attachment 198020
Yeah, that diagram doesn’t make much sense to me either. I would think the CTs would be by the main breaker if concerned about sending power back to the grid/zero export.

Ok ... yeah ... no ... nope. I don't get it. The CTs are before the split of home load/grid. Wouldn't the CTs just say this is how much current is either coming in to, or going out of the inverter? How does the inverter know if the electrons are making a left or a right after the home load/grid split? Maybe a link that goes into more detail?
Oh, I see. Where it is it can't see the power flowing to the main panel?

@Watts247 - Ian Roux 1)what were some of the small bugs/extensive updates? Are the bugs eliminated? 2)concerning zero export, will it actually do zero export without the occasional slip-up when a large load starts/stops? 2)are the mppt inputs actually separate mppts, or internally paralleled together, i.e. can one pv string have 400v and another pv string have 240v but connected to separated mppts?

3)can the CTs be placed before the meter (see below) so the NHX feeds excess to house loads but sends nothing to grid? 4)how long are the CT leads and can they be increased in length to ~30' without issue?
1708886914206.png
x

Oh, I see. Where it is it can't see the power flowing to the main panel?
Dude ... you had me scratching my head. My understanding of things electric actually did start with a butter knife in an outlet :fp2 (darn lucky the knife was too large to make contact and mum put an end to it), it hasn't improved much since then.

• Haha
Reactions: Zwy
Per the video Ian posted, it sounded like each mppt could do 500 VOC and 22 amp ISC independently. With that in mind, you should be able to over-panel this inverter with up to around 40kW of solar.

Good Morning.
this is in fact the same model that can be paralleled to 8 units, we have made extensive firmware updates and features to the vanilla model you see online.

We have been running these Indoors, outdoors, as EV chargers, Welding and Plasma Cutting Operations, Compressors, Motors, Heat Guns, Forklift Charging stations etc etc. more videos to come soon.
It has a ton of features, like any newish product, it still has some small bugs / deficits. Asking the Western Mind to communicate with the Eastern Mind is always a challenge, as there are many philosophical challenges in the way we view the world, nevermind technical concepts.
I personally have been working with the many Eastern software/hardware engineers now for about 30 yrs, and it remains a challenge to get a point/concept across.

These have a 5 yr warranty,
we are also stocking some spare parts, even though we have never managed to kill one yet.
Paralleling is easy, just as simple CAT5 cable between units.
Solar Assistant Does work with these units, we have to make a special plug for now. (basically a 4 pin molex plug (same as fan connector )) this plugs into the mainboard

We have these mounted in the Rain and Snow.

The most common failure on any electronics is having ambient air run through the PCB (Dust , Humidity, etc is a sure killer - see what Florida does to a circuit board) This is why we are moving towards IP65 + units in future. all cooling is done externally.
I shake my head at some local suppliers offering warranties longer than MNFR warranty, especially where they suck all this soot/moisture and dust through the PCB.

At the most recent trade show, one of the recently well known manufacturers (who has only been on the US market since April 2023) admitted that they cannot get their open air models to last past 2 yrs near the ocean, but yet they offer a 5 yr warranty. Boggles the mind.

On the NHX series, will be doing videos shortly on idle consumption, ( its higher than 15w for sure), as well as load tests etc.
Things can get quite complicated or as simple as you want with grid interactions. Some things, I still scratch my head.
Like Sol-Ark, it can take a few weeks to start to understand what its going to do when I change setting X.
That's why the manual we have updated on our website has common USE case settings for the most common cases.
Arriving late Jan 2024. Add yourself to the waitlist

user Manual Link https://watts247.com/manuals/NHX- Series/NHX Series 48V INVERTER USER MANUAL-NFI.pdf

Pending all the recent snow storms, these should be here at our warehouse early next week.
Tks for reading
Ian
Is this grid forming inverter? Can I create a micro grid and connect my existing grid tie system to the generator port as many other inverters suggest?

Ian has a video up on the NHX inverter. I need that solar awning as well.
I was just watching this again and it looks like all the load testing that was done up till the 12 minute mark had the grid in parallel and so the grid would have supported any surges 🧐

When he tested the heat guns the power went to 11.5kw without overloading and then he noticed that the grid was supplying 3.5kw and keeping the inverter from overloading and only then did it get turned off.

Also, I'm curious why the grid was supplying 3.5kw of an 11.5kw load when this is a 10kw inverter. Shouldn't the inverter have been supplying it's full 10kw output at least?

❓❓❓

Last edited:
Looks like sungold power has a version out too

10KW-01-2_d1b1cb0f-fc82-4dd1-b135-5db9cf8c13fd.jpg

What is the difference between this:

and this:

Both are 10 KW, hybrid, 48V split phase.

One costs $1670, the other $2400. What do you get for the $730 extra?

Mike C.

What is the difference between this:

and this:

Both are 10 KW, hybrid, 48V split phase.

One costs $1670, the other $2400. What do you get for the $730 extra?

Mike C.
It's grid interactive meaning you can sell to the grid, peak shave, and in theory zero out your grid usage with the included CTs.

It says can also sell from battery to grid, for those areas that pay well for such a feature

True grid interactivity is a big deal

Last edited:
It's grid interactive meaning you can sell to the grid, peak shave, and in theory zero out your grid usage with the included CTs.

It says can also sell from battery to grid, for those areas that pay well for such a feature

True grid interactivity is a big deal
Sorry if these are noob questions...

If I want an inverter that will do the following:

If solar, use it to power loads first, anything left over charge the battery, anything left over push into the grid. Any deficit in power, pull from the grid. If grid fails, use solar and battery to power the critical panel loads.

It seems like both units I linked above can do this or am I wrong about this? What am I missing about the feature set of the second (white) one?

Mike C.

:

If solar, use it to power loads first, anything left over charge the battery, anything left over push into the grid. Any deficit in power, pull from the grid. If grid fails, use solar and battery to power the critical panel loads.
Ok so your battery is just for backup purposes? It looks like the cheaper inverter, if you set output source priority to uti it will use solar and grid together so when solar goes down you power your loads from the grid.

If you set 34 to on grd it will push excess power to the grid.

It will only use the battery when the grid is not available.

It has no CTs so it does not have the option to use the battery to support your main panel loads.

When you are exporting to the grid, naturally main panel loads are supported but it can't use the battery to supplement that if main panel loads are greater than pv, or at night.

View attachment 203142
This one looks very very similar to the EG4 8k that was discontinued...

diy solar

diy solar
Back