diy solar

diy solar

New bench power supply

Screenshot from 2020-09-08 13-41-02.png
That's not very encouraging. Or you know, you could always improve your shipping packing to avoid dents.
Unless, of course, these dents are straight from the factory, and they're blaming it on shipping to cover their own QC issues.

View attachment 22189
That's not very encouraging. Or you know, you could always improve your shipping packing to avoid dents.
Unless, of course, these dents are straight from the factory, and they're blaming it on shipping to cover their own QC issues.
Mine wasn't bent like that. I think they are saying you can just bend it back and it will still look and work fine.

Yeah I get that. All I'm saying is that they could do better in packaging to avoid the possibility of bending to begin with.
I just don't like their attitude of "if you can't handle it being bent on arrival, don't buy it from us".
We shouldn't allow these Chinese companies leeway in their QC/shipping. We should expect upmost quality.

Mine was shipped from a US location and it was packaged well. I think it is unlikely that would happen.
You don't have to buy the case either. I see a lot of people using it without the case.
I think the case was $15.

I don't have electrodes or cables yet but here's from the manual -
It says fork terminals or Lantern Head connector.
Hda7b098791f64792a7dc4160ce4a9980O.jpg

I bought the kit with 70V power supply and case at aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001053200176.html

It was $144-$12(coupon) free shipping from US $132 I used Rakuten too for a 2.75% rebate. lol
After much turbulence with my own brain I decided on purchasing this and did just now. The price has gone up a bit. But still I feel this is a good value and a very versatile power supply and can also be used for charging the the battery although it could take a long time depending. I can test the charging feature with my Valence RT batteries, I have two of those connected in parallel. The Riden can be used for a back up charger for just about anything and has many other uses. For sure I have no excuse now not to parallel top balance....lol

I really like the wifi feature and the data logging. I have many gold plated banana plugs left over from my speakers I can use. I think it comes with fork terminals too? Anyways, with my 8 EVE cells arriving soon, it was time for me to start ordering things and a power supply was the first item on my list. Aside from the other miscellaneous items I need to get, the next item will be the BMS. Inverter will be last. One step at a time....

I saw the review-ish videos on YouTube. One thing to be cautious about is to not short the USB connector with the ground output. The result will be smoke. I also noticed a YouTube reviewer burned out his power supply. However, I didn't notice any of the youtubers running this thing for a long time at max output. Hopefully that won't be a problem and we shall see. I am confident if there are any issues Riden will take care of it.

The reviews look good and people here like them. Some say to use 10A if you need to charge something for a long time. I ordered one of these too - 3.3V 120A Mean Well for charging quicker. The Mean Well will not be connected to the RD3012
I have a bunch of cells coming that I want to match up into battery packs the best I can.

Reactions: Dzl
The reviews look good and people here like them. Some say to use 10A if you need to charge something for a long time. I ordered one of these too - 3.3V 120A Mean Well for charging quicker. The Mean Well will not be connected to the RD3012
I have a bunch of cells coming that I want to match up into battery packs the best I can.

Nice little beast. Better make some beefy leads.

Note that you might run into the issue of tail current with this one. A lieu of manufacturer's data, a cell is typically full around 0.05C. For a 280Ah cell, that's 14A. Anything OVER 2400Ah, and you may over charge once you hit 3.6-3.65.

In either case, you'll want to monitor end of charge to terminate at 0.05C when possible.

With the voltage drop, this could also be tricky...

Last edited:
Note that you might run into the issue of tail current with this one.
Would that mean that the power supply does not completely shut down or Amps go to zero.
A lieu of manufacturer's data, a cell is typically full around 0.05C. For a 280Ah cell, that's 14A. Anything under 2400Ah, and you may over charge once you hit 3.6-3.65
If one were to parallel 16 of those that would be 4480 Ahrs and at 140 Amps that would still be lower than .05C, correct?

(1) Would that mean that the power supply does not completely shut down or Amps go to zero.

(2) If one were to parallel 16 of those that would be 4480 Ahrs and at 140 Amps that would still be lower than .05C, correct?

(1) No, but it means that once the power supply has tapered to 0.05C, the charge should be terminated.

(2) Yes. Actually, I had it reversed. OVER 2400Ah is where the risk lies (edited post).

In actuality it's no different than a 10A supply, it's just at much higher current. End of charge should be watched and terminated at the appropriate time. In your example, the moment the cell OCV hits 3.65, and the PSU is still pumping 120A (assuming it can due to wiring losses), you need to terminate charge.

Thanks for the input guys. It will probably be a long time until I connect 16 together.
I am afraid of the problems people have around 3.65V. I plan to be very careful when I am anywhere near the top or bottom voltages.
I know that charger has a setting for the voltage cut off. I will most likely start by charging in steps until I get used to it.
Maybe it's better to charge 8 cells in parallel until I am close to 3.65V. Then when I attach 16 parallel it will be easier to watch closely.
There sure are a lot of bobby traps to fall in when working with these cells.

I know you're already invested a lot into the PSU, but I'd consider a clamp meter or other means of measuring current as well as OCV at the cells.

And that's not a charger. It's a power supply.

Last edited:
Understood, but a power supply ends up only having two modes, CC and CV, correct? To the extent that voltage can be adjusted on some, the current will be limited by the power supply capacity.

It will operate like CC in a limited capacity, but it's not as flexible as one would hope. Probably not an issue in this case since we're dealing with such low voltage, but it's expecting to provide current AT its set point. If you pull it too far below its set point, it may shut off. One can always lower the set point.

Analogous to a 12V battery charger refusing to charge a battery that's been deeply discharged into the single digits. The just aren't designed to operate at that low a voltage.

I know you're already invested a lot into the PSU, but I'd consider a clamp meter or other means of measuring current as well as OCV at the cells.

I have a clamp meter. Thanks for trying to help me understand that a power supply doesn't work the same as a charger.
I am starting to understand the difference between a changer and a power supply but I need to research more.
I also will have my solar up before too long so I will have my solar charge controller too. But I see people messing up cells with that.
A lot of people are confused about this subject.

As far as the Riden, I have a 10 amp 12 volt LifePo4 charger so I will be able to do a comparison.

For parallel balancing I might terminate the charge at 3.55 volts depending on how things "feel". I also plan on doing this in steps.

That Mean Well is a beast.

Back