diy solar

diy solar

New Chargery BMS16P review (just released Dec-2020)

What I get out of Chargery's answer is the fan was added to keep the balancing going instead of shutting down balancing, allowing it to cool off then restart. It is passive balancing. Also there was an issue by many that wanted better Comm. IE UART.
So I guess the discussions that these new models would have active balancing was perhaps just rumor talk.

Personally, I would rather double or triple the size of the passive cooling and leave the fan out. If the system needs a fan, I will never consider it. I was concerned about the fan in my DCC-300 but it is not needed at the current my system uses so I have nothing to worry about on that one. It sounds like this system relies on the fan for daily operation.

So .... @Chargery ... Am I understanding that this is an interim version, and still not the final version of the new design?

Is the active balancing and even more accurate current readings still in development?

So I guess the discussions that these new models would have active balancing was perhaps just rumor talk.

Personally, I would rather double or triple the size of the passive cooling and leave the fan out. If the system needs a fan, I will never consider it. I was concerned about the fan in my DCC-300 but it is not needed at the current my system uses so I have nothing to worry about on that one. It sounds like this system relies on the fan for daily operation.
Jason himself said that there was a new model in development that includes active balancing .... and maybe even Bluetooth and WiFi. It just seems to me that this in an interim design to solve the problem some people are having with overheating in the current design.

I sent Jason an email about adding WIFI, I think if Chargery had a WIFI App something like the OverKill solar app ... or Victron .... there would be a LOT more Chargery BMS sales.

The big deal is the 1amp balancing, you can see it working, its really brought my temperamental BYD pack into line where other balancers did nothing.
Chargery BMS T and P version Comments/ w my learning curve lesson: The BMS8P and BMS16P web page @ https://www.chargerystore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_26&product_id=85 :+) ... info says: ... and wondering about this: "Balance current: 1.2A per cell, Continuously balancing" ... is that really continuous? IS the Chargery BMS P versions Balance Parameters adjustable for a start voltage like the Chargery BMS8T and 16T ???
(update note: I found out YES Balance cell v start is adjustable on both T and P versions.)

I would want to be able to adjust when Active Balancing turns on. like at >3.35v or >3.4v cell voltage, and OFF <3.35v or <3.4v ... after taking in info about how active balancing at lower cell voltages can unbalance your cells when cells are charged back up to the top charge levels.

Update NOTE: after email dialog w Chargery's Jason: I believe the Chargery BMS T and P versions both use passive balancers; and they are both Adjustable. ... and maybe Chargery is working on an A version that would have an active balancer ??? I am still exploring my questions. ... Also: Learning from My Mistake with two BMS8Ts ... Do not sticky tape these Chargery BMSs to a wall, or (even worse, as I did) to the inside the styrofoam packing case I used as a holder attachment to my solar wall. Why? The BMS main body needs air flow to dissipate heat when balancing cells. They do way better hanging on thin L brackets away from the wall for dissipating the heat that builds up during their cell balancing operation, ... which turns OFF as BMS case rises to about 30.5 degree C, to protect the BMS. ... When cell balancing is working ... the cell voltage page shows an "l" along side cells being balanced. When temp protection mode happens, those "l" along side balanced cells disappear. *** I now use sticky tape on thin L-brackets (two on bottom/ one on top) to hold my BMS w 1/2" air space to my cement board over plywood solar wall. My Temp Rise during top charge voltages is much slower now/ and stays in the OK zone. ;+)

Last edited:
The BMS8P and BMS16P web page @ https://www.chargerystore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_26&product_id=85 :+) ... info says: ... and wondering about this:

Balance current:1.2A per cell, Continuously balancing. ... is that really continuous? or is that one slip up mistake in print?

I would want to be able to adjust when Active Balancing turns on. like at >3.35v or >3.4v cell voltage, and OFF <3.35v or <3.4v ... after taking in info about how active balancing at lower cell voltages can unbalance your cells when cells are charged back up to the top charge levels. IS the Chargery BMS P versions Balance Parameters adjustable for a start voltage like the Chargery BMS8T and 16T ???
From the manual page 25 ...... manual attached.

1653695765830.png

Attachments

• Chargery_BMS8P_specification_V4.3.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 1
Back