diy solar

diy solar

New Pytes V5 48V Server Rack Battery

The UL version is the right stuff and can go into conduits. I bought the same class wire from a different company, but price was essentially the same. In my case, I used 3/0 and did the crimps myself. But I have all of the tools to cut and crimp and heat shrink so it was no big deal. One thing I think may be important is depending on the inverter connection, some inverters have the battery cable attached via lugs while others just have the stripped wire inserted into a clamped screw down connection. If that is the case, it may be helpful to use a big wire ferrule on the screw clamp type. I didn't do this and it took extra time to get the connections properly done.

Does anyone know if the v5 would fit in their existing 2 or 4 unit enclosures? (Their "R-box" or "R-box OC")

Never mind. I found the answer. Yes, their enclosures support the V5. That fact is buried underneath lots of glamour shots of smiling people using electricity. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the v5 would fit in their existing 2 or 4 unit enclosures? (Their "R-box" or "R-box OC")

Never mind. I found the answer. Yes, their enclosures support the V5. That fact is buried underneath lots of glamour shots of smiling people using electricity. :)
Are you sure? What web site? There's a V-Box-IC and a V-Box-OC. Why have these additional boxes if the R-Box will take them?

Are you sure? What web site? There's a V-Box-IC and a V-Box-OC. Why have these additional boxes if the R-Box will take them?
Agree. The dimensions of the V5 and the older model E-48100R are different. I think the V5 is taller, and the E-48100 is deeper.

I decided to install the Ebox and not wait for the V5. I saved a lot of money, the warranty is the same and the batteries are locked up in a cabinet anyways out of sight. And installed in a closed locked cabinet attached to a system inverter whose application displays to me everything about the battery BMS anyways. So given the same price, great, but saving a few thousand dollars, I went dollar because i still need another 60 kW for the house to achieve the state of nirvana between me and my utility company. Maybe the next 60 kW ill be V5. Overall, I am happy with Pytes workmanship and documentation.

Does anybody know the dip switch settings for pytes v5 to the solark 15k. I can find the dip settings for the older E48100 battery, but not the newer one.

Never mind, I just found it on this youtube. It is the same as the original battery. Minute 5:03

I assume I should set the dip switches the same for all the batteries in the bank, including master and slave

Last edited:
This from Pytes.

Attachments

• Sol-Ark Guide(V5íp& V5ípª-).pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
I recently received the new Pytes V5 48V Battery and have had it running in our shop for the last month. The build quality is very impressive. It appears to have redundant BMS's. It is also heated. It communicated out of the box with the Victron Cerbo GX. When I get some time I will see if I can get it to talk to my SMA Sunny Islands. I really like how the batteries are restrained in an aluminum extrusion and that the BMS leads are all printed circuits. Cabling is minimal as they do use a solid copper busbar. 10 year warranty. Just thought some of you might want to see this battery.

Quick stats from the data sheet:
Chemistry LFP
Nominal Voltage 51.2V
Voltage Range 44.8V-57.6V
Nominal Capacity 100Ah
Nominal Energy 5.12kWh
Unit Dimension L19 in*W20.9 in*H5.5 in(3.2U)
Unit Weight 97lb
Standard Charge/Discharge 75A
Maximum Continuous Charge/Discharge 100A
Peak Charge/Discharge 150A(15s)
Round-Trip Efficiency ≥95%
Communication Protocol CAN/RS485/RS232
Cycle Life ≥6000cycles
Calendar Life ≥10years
Operating Temperature 14°F~131°F
Connect style Parallel
Heating system 14.4~18°F/h

View attachment 166816

Looks nice, but also no serviceable, suppose that is a tradeoff.

Just curious what amperage people are charging the Pytes V5 at for safety?

I have two pairs of 4/0 cables from my Solark 15k 15 feet to the Victron PowerIn BusBar, and then 2/0 cables 4 feet to the 2 pairs of parallel Pytes V5 (2 x 200Ah) for total of 400Ah of batteries.

I am grid-tied and net-metered, but I want to switch to time of use and use the batteries during peak period. Hence, I am daily recharging the batteries at midnight to 6am. Default charge rate of the battery seems to be 100Amps. I tried changing it in the "Time of Use" setting in System Parameters of the Solark, but I think the correct place to change battery charging rate is in the battery charging tab. I dropped it down to 80Amps, but should I be charging even slower?

20231223_141402.jpg

I have the Pytes Ebox plugged into a Luxpower 12k. The CAN port is connected from the master battery to the inverter. All the settings are communicated from the battery to the inverter. All I do is set parameters such as PV charge and or AC charge, time of charging in the 24 hour period, SOC or Volts to charge and discharge to and the limit in kW of the charge input to the batteries. On the Luxpower app, the BMS is displayed with a charge and a discharge limit set automatically to 400 amps. That would be 50 amps per each of the 8 batteries. So for example, if my batteries were charging at 400 amp capacity and voltage of 56, then that would be 22,400 watts. I can never come close to that with my PV and not even with my grid. I set my max kW charge to 5kW regardless of the source. So 5 x 56V = 280 amps. I have 2 sets of battery input into the inverter, each using 3/0 cable. This would be about 140 amps per battery cable set, well below the rated cable capacity. 140 amps into 4 batteries is 35 amps per battery.

I also set my limits to 90% SOC max charge and 20% max discharge. Nothing else gets done.

There is also a button icon ton the app screen that can be tapped to perform a quick charge, using AC settings which is good for cloudy days. This runs at the AC charge setting I have input and runs for an hour. It can be tapped again to stop it too.

I have the Pytes Ebox plugged into a Luxpower 12k. The CAN port is connected from the master battery to the inverter. All the settings are communicated from the battery to the inverter. All I do is set parameters such as PV charge and or AC charge, time of charging in the 24 hour period, SOC or Volts to charge and discharge to and the limit in kW of the charge input to the batteries. On the Luxpower app, the BMS is displayed with a charge and a discharge limit set automatically to 400 amps. That would be 50 amps per each of the 8 batteries. So for example, if my batteries were charging at 400 amp capacity and voltage of 56, then that would be 22,400 watts. I can never come close to that with my PV and not even with my grid. I set my max kW charge to 5kW regardless of the source. So 5 x 56V = 280 amps. I have 2 sets of battery input into the inverter, each using 3/0 cable. This would be about 140 amps per battery cable set, well below the rated cable capacity. 140 amps into 4 batteries is 35 amps per battery.

I also set my limits to 90% SOC max charge and 20% max discharge. Nothing else gets done.

There is also a button icon ton the app screen that can be tapped to perform a quick charge, using AC settings which is good for cloudy days. This runs at the AC charge setting I have input and runs for an hour. It can be tapped again to stop it too.
Can I ask why you charge to 90% rather than 100%? Thanks!

Dave

Just curious what amperage people are charging the Pytes V5 at for safety?

I have two pairs of 4/0 cables from my Solark 15k 15 feet to the Victron PowerIn BusBar, and then 2/0 cables 4 feet to the 2 pairs of parallel Pytes V5 (2 x 200Ah) for total of 400Ah of batteries.

I am grid-tied and net-metered, but I want to switch to time of use and use the batteries during peak period. Hence, I am daily recharging the batteries at midnight to 6am. Default charge rate of the battery seems to be 100Amps. I tried changing it in the "Time of Use" setting in System Parameters of the Solark, but I think the correct place to change battery charging rate is in the battery charging tab. I dropped it down to 80Amps, but should I be charging even slower?

View attachment 187100
Can you post where you found the rack that fit your V5's? Model number too. Thanks so much!

Dave

Can you post where you found the rack that fit your V5's? Model number too. Thanks so much!
The only enclosure currently available is the V-BOX-OC which is listed at NAZ for $1490. Other suppliers like AltE and Watts247 may have them in stock or can order them.. There are rack brackets and a soon to be released indoor rack enclosure, but no UL documents for those yet.

Last edited:
Can I ask why you charge to 90% rather than 100%? Thanks!

Dave
My loads are larger than my PV generates, so I have to grid charge also and split the amps available with an EV, electric dryer, etc. So I just run out of time in the 24 hour day to make it to 100% SOC.

My loads are larger than my PV generates, so I have to grid charge also and split the amps available with an EV, electric dryer, etc. So I just run out of time in the 24 hour day to make it to 100% SOC.
Ok, cool, thank you. I didn't see anything in the Pytes data that suggested limiting the charge to less than 100%, so I was curious if I missed something or it was an operational consideration for your system. Appreciate the response!

The only enclosure currently available is the V-BOX-OC which is listed at NAZ for $1490. Other suppliers like AltE and Watts247 may have them. There are rack brackets and a soon to be released indoor rack enclosure, but no UL documents for that yet
Yes, I've seen that one and a Pytes video from 2 months ago listed an R-Box-IC (2/4/or 6 battery size) specifically for the V5, though I have not seen it listed by a retailer as yet. I was curious as to the enclosure in the picture that BlueMarblePA posted, post #30, that housed 4 V5 batteries.

The V-Box-OC will work for me in my garage. I want a slim profile. However, it's currently not in stock.

I was curious as to the enclosure in the picture that BlueMarblePA posted, post #30, that housed 4 V5 batteries.
I know that rack is not the V-BOX-OC becasue the V-BOX-OC has the four V5 batteries stacked vertically one pair on the bottom and another pair on top.

Back