diy solar

diy solar

New Pytes V5 48V Server Rack Battery

4thdSolar

I recently received the new Pytes V5 48V Battery and have had it running in our shop for the last month. The build quality is very impressive. It appears to have redundant BMS's. It is also heated. It communicated out of the box with the Victron Cerbo GX. When I get some time I will see if I can get it to talk to my SMA Sunny Islands. I really like how the batteries are restrained in an aluminum extrusion and that the BMS leads are all printed circuits. Cabling is minimal as they do use a solid copper busbar. 10 year warranty. Just thought some of you might want to see this battery.

Quick stats from the data sheet:
Chemistry LFP
Nominal Voltage 51.2V
Voltage Range 44.8V-57.6V
Nominal Capacity 100Ah
Nominal Energy 5.12kWh
Unit Dimension L19 in*W20.9 in*H5.5 in(3.2U)
Unit Weight 97lb
Standard Charge/Discharge 75A
Maximum Continuous Charge/Discharge 100A
Peak Charge/Discharge 150A(15s)
Round-Trip Efficiency ≥95%
Communication Protocol CAN/RS485/RS232
Cycle Life ≥6000cycles
Calendar Life ≥10years
Operating Temperature 14°F~131°F
Connect style Parallel
Heating system 14.4~18°F/h

1694304218632.png

Attachments

• IMG_9173.JPG
    IMG_9173.JPG
    932.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9174.JPG
    IMG_9174.JPG
    922.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9176.JPG
    IMG_9176.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9177.JPG
    IMG_9177.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9179.JPG
    IMG_9179.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9180.JPG
    IMG_9180.JPG
    896 KB · Views: 80
How much was it? Looks like it could be used vertically (panel up)? Nice clean internals.

We purchased it for a special price to evaluate it. I think that MSRP will be right around $2,100. Pytes said it could be used vertically or Horizontally. They also said that they are CATL cells.

Looking at their brochure now. Does look very nice. CATL cells are nice upgrade. Looks like you can pick your own color too?

Pytes is advertising $200 off per battery through October 31. Is this battery currently available from stock? Also this battery is not on the CEC battery list? If it is UL approved, and 9540a compliant, will it be added to the CEC website and when?

I recently received the new Pytes V5 48V Battery and have had it running in our shop for the last month. The build quality is very impressive. It appears to have redundant BMS's. It is also heated. It communicated out of the box with the Victron Cerbo GX. When I get some time I will see if I can get it to talk to my SMA Sunny Islands. I really like how the batteries are restrained in an aluminum extrusion and that the BMS leads are all printed circuits. Cabling is minimal as they do use a solid copper busbar. 10 year warranty. Just thought some of you might want to see this battery.

Quick stats from the data sheet:
Chemistry LFP
Nominal Voltage 51.2V
Voltage Range 44.8V-57.6V
Nominal Capacity 100Ah
Nominal Energy 5.12kWh
Unit Dimension L19 in*W20.9 in*H5.5 in(3.2U)
Unit Weight 97lb
Standard Charge/Discharge 75A
Maximum Continuous Charge/Discharge 100A
Peak Charge/Discharge 150A(15s)
Round-Trip Efficiency ≥95%
Communication Protocol CAN/RS485/RS232
Cycle Life ≥6000cycles
Calendar Life ≥10years
Operating Temperature 14°F~131°F
Connect style Parallel
Heating system 14.4~18°F/h

View attachment 166816
I would love some more followup on this. I was going to get the original Pytes battery, but I may as well wait for these, or pre-order at a good price.

I have heard from a reliable source that the V5º has received UL9540 certification with at least the Sol-Ark 8k, 12k and 15k; see the following certification for more details:

I haven't reached out to Pytes yet to get the documents that show that the "Pi S15K" is a Sol-Ark 15k + V5º battery, but the certificate is only dated November 6th so perhaps they haven't posted it anywhere yet. I also haven't yet come across the UL9540A certification yet.

You can easily find the Pytes Ebox battery, UL9540a with all the bells and whistles and easy firmware updates for significantly lower prices than the newer model. The new model may be nicer, but the version "C" of the Ebox (6 dip switches) now supports up to 16 batteries in parallel without the expansion box. If you are following latest codes, then the limit is 20 kW (4 batts together), then separated by 3 feet of space between these 20 kW packs. On 8 batteries, you can save about $4,000 vs. the new V5 battery. Shop around.

The two big factors for me with the newer model (V5°) are: 1C discharge (100A) vs 0.5C on the older model, and a built-in heater. Up here in ??, the heater is important and the 1C discharge might be depending on how my local inspector treats the local code.

(In short: you’re only allowed 20kWh of batteries in one spot; for the older model if that’s 4x 5.12kWh batteries @ 50A, fine; if that’s 3x then that’s only ~7.5kW of power, not enough for our place, and I’d need a V5. Depends on whether he believes 20.48kWh is over the limit)

The two big factors for me with the newer model (V5°) are: 1C discharge (100A) vs 0.5C on the older model, and a built-in heater. Up here in ??, the heater is important and the 1C discharge might be depending on how my local inspector treats the local code.

(In short: you’re only allowed 20kWh of batteries in one spot; for the older model if that’s 4x 5.12kWh batteries @ 50A, fine; if that’s 3x then that’s only ~7.5kW of power, not enough for our place, and I’d need a V5. Depends on whether he believes 20.48kWh is over the limit)
My first interest is the higher 100 A discharge. Four E box batteries only gives me 10 KW. I want to utilize the full 12 KW capability of the Sol-Ark. The heater is just insurance for me. The batteries will be in an attached garage with the only external wall being the garage door wall. I don't think I've ever seen it colder than 47F (8C). A couple of online stores are selling the V5 at $1750 USD.

My first interest is the higher 100 A discharge. Four E box batteries only gives me 10 KW. I want to utilize the full 12 KW capability of the Sol-Ark. The heater is just insurance for me. The batteries will be in an attached garage with the only external wall being the garage door wall. I don't think I've ever seen it colder than 47F (8C). A couple of online stores are selling the V5 at $1750 USD.
Yeah, the 100A discharge is definitely priority #1 for me. I could always put some heating mats, build an insulated box, etc. around the batteries, so the heaters are definitely a "nice-to-have"... but the 100A discharge is essential (along with being UL9540 so my inspector will accept it...)

I just received my four Pytes V5 batteries. The battery posts are M6 bolts. Does anybody have 2/0 cables with 1/4" battery lugs?

Please check the following to see if it applies to the new Pytes V5:

The Ebox 48100R batteries come with a 2 AWG battery cable. The instructions from Pytes say that only 2 batteries should be connected in parallel, then a single +/- connected to a buss bar.

So if you have 4 batteries in a single stack, there would be 2 pairs in parallel with the cables going to the buss bar. The buss bar would need to be 200 amps for 4 batteries. Then you would need 2/0 cables to the inverter for a short length or 3/0 for say over 6 feet.

The link above seems to indicate that the cable being sold is epdm insulated welding cable. Multiple fine strands. May or may not be to code in your area. If you are going to have your cables in a conduit, then you should go for THHN insulated 2/0 or 3/0 finely stranded wire. this is mean to be put into conduit, not for automotive use like in a diesel truck or laying on the floor of a welding shop.

Back