diy solar

diy solar

New to solar, just bought 71 kWh of batteries for DIY some help please :)

I said I assumed I need a BMS, my question is more of which kind and if the kind I need matters depending on which inverter I get. Yep I am new at this and I knew I was going to diy the batteries shortly after starting to read up on things as its half or less the cost of prebuilt ones and I am a diy kind of person. Also I am not separating the cells, just cutting the bar to remove 4 of the cells from the 20 cell packs. The extra 4 will physically remain and I will connect those 4 extra from each of the 4 modules to make a 5th 16c pack.

My loads are a well pump, shop with some 15-20 amp 220v circuit equipment, like a table saw, dust extraction, air compressor etc. 5 small mini splits (1 ton max each), 3 in the house and 2 in the pole barn. As of now the water heater, stove, dryer are on gas, I may swap them in the future. I figured the eg4 18k would be sufficient to start with or if there are other inverters that can connect to the panels, grid, generator and batteries and seamlessly swap between them I would consider those as well.

Thank you!

Congratulations on the modules. I have four of these now that I am working on.

Check out my post I have in these forums, on doing exactly what you plan to do.

Thanks! Feel free to message me.

Can these batteries be stored in garage that will be below freezing (not in use yet)?

Can these batteries be stored in garage that will be below freezing (not in use yet)?
I moved mine to the basement for this reason. It will be their final resting place anyway, so we don't have to deal with negative temperatures in the garage. Wasn't ready to add a mini-split to this whole cost just yet.

It will make 5 packs, each pack will be 14.3Kwh so I will need 5 BMS's total.
Did I understand correctly that those modules are 20 cells in series? That is a nominal 64 volts and 70 volts or more when charging. Unless you plan on separating four cells from each module it will be difficult finding an inverter that will run at that voltage. My apologies if that was covered in the video, or in another post.

Did I understand correctly that those modules are 20 cells in series? That is a nominal 64 volts and 70 volts or more when charging. Unless you plan on separating four cells from each module it will be difficult finding an inverter that will run at that voltage. My apologies if that was covered in the video, or in another post.
Correct, but separating four from each and combining those to make a fifth 16s pack.

Correct, but separating four from each and combining those to make a fifth 16s pack.
On further reading I see that you explained that earlier. I made my comment only after reading the first few posts and did not realize the thread was longer. My pack is 42kWh in a 3P16S configturation. I have an expensive BMS and therefore saw no value in having three BMSs and separate packs. My cells are not Automotive grade and buddy pairing them gave me consistent results between each of the three cells in each buddy pair. My cells were added incrementally and that was another reason I preferred a single pack. My cost averaged about $116 per kWh because I purchased some of them three and a half years ago when I just joined this forum.

Last edited:
I bought one of those 20s CATL packs to power an older Schneider XW 6048 setup off grid. Got me started and has been working great with a JK BMS and some heating mats in sub freezing weather. That being said, I do regret not buying loose cells. I don’t care for cutting bus bars and if a cell goes out they are almost impossible to get out/apart without damaging. Got some EVE 304s on the way now.

On further reading I see that you explained that earlier. I made my comment only after reading the first few posts and did not realize the thread was longer. My pack is 42kWh in a 3P16S configturation. I have an expensive BMS and therefore saw no value in having three BMSs and separate packs. My cells are not Automotive grade and buddy pairing them gave me consistent results between each of the three cells in each buddy pair. My cells were added incrementally and that was another reason I preferred a single pack. My cost averaged about $116 per kWh because I purchased some of them three and a half years ago when I just joined this forum.
Did you start as 16S then go 2P then 3P?

Did you start as 16S then go 2P then 3P?
Yes I started 16S at another home. Then we sold that and after buying new home I bought more cells and went to 3P. It is way more capacity than I need on a daily basis but we have some multiday power outages so I wanted the backup.

Back