diy solar

diy solar

[Newbie] Some wiring/connector questions

chess-equality

Solar Enthusiast
Hi there! Of course I landed here after watching Will's excellent and very instructive videos! Thanks Will!

I'm new to solar technology and I'm building my first project. I would like to initially set up a system using an all-in-one inverter with AC mains, with charging from solar to follow later on, for starters.

I'm wondering where I could buy these online (if ever they are available)?
  • "Spliced(?) AC extension cord" - connects to the AC input/output of the inverter.
  • Connectors (O-ring?) for the positive/negative of the battery (I'm planning to use 48v200Ah LiFePO4 batteries.).
Any other tips very much welcome!

Thank you!

Hi there! Of course I landed here after watching Will's excellent and very instructive videos! Thanks Will!

I'm new to solar technology and I'm building my first project. I would like to initially set up a system using an all-in-one inverter with AC mains, with charging from solar to follow later on, for starters.

I'm wondering where I could buy these online (if ever they are available)?
  • "Spliced(?) AC extension cord" - connects to the AC input/output of the inverter.
  • Connectors (O-ring?) for the positive/negative of the battery (I'm planning to use 48v200Ah LiFePO4 batteries.).
Any other tips very much welcome!

Thank you!
We are going to need make and model of the inverters and batteries to even understand the question, let alone answer it.

We are going to need make and model of the inverters and batteries to even understand the question, let alone answer it.

These ones:

XTRA POWER HF SERIES HYBRID INVERTER (XTHF5KVA):

Blue Carbon LiFePO4 Battery Pack 48V 200Ah:

Last edited:
BTW: I see you just joined today. Welcome to the forum.
"Spliced(?) AC extension cord" - connects to the AC input/output of the inverter.
Are you wanting to hardwire the inverter or do you want a plug on the input and a receptacle on the output?
From your question, I assume you want a plug & receptacle.

A lot of people just buy an extension cord and cut it in half to use one side for the input and one side for the output. To be sized correctly, the output cord needs to be rated for 3000VA/230 = 13A for the 3K model and 5000VA/230V=22A for the 5K model. (If you have one of the other size inverters, do the equivalent math.)

The input cord needs to be larger than the output cord because it has to carry the current for both the load and the internal battery charger.

1653153853928.png

It looks like the 3KVA 48V model can charge at up to 15A. If the battery is low, this means it will charge at 720W. If we assume the charger is 95% efficient, that means in needs to draw 720/.95=758W on the AC side. This translates into 785W/230V=3.3A. When added to the load current, the 3K 48V model can draw up to 22A+3.3A=25.3A. The input AC cable will need to be sized for at least 25A.
Connectors (O-ring?) for the positive/negative of the battery (I'm planning to use 48v200Ah LiFePO4 batteries.).
I assume you mean ring terminal lugs for the end of the DC cable?

Very nice amperage computations!

Now I think I need to test my setup first in a wall outlet protected by a 30A branch in our breaker, so that means it will be the 3KVA model.

Are you wanting to hardwire the inverter or do you want a plug on the input and a receptacle on the output?
From your question, I assume you want a plug & receptacle.

A lot of people just buy an extension cord and cut it in half to use one side for the input and one side for the output.

Is there one that I can buy online instead, that is ready to use? I might bungle the cutting and splicing(?) part.

I assume you mean ring terminal lugs for the end of the DC cable?

Yes, that's it! What size would be good?

BTW: I see you just joined today. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

Is there one that I can buy online instead, that is ready to use? I might bungle the cutting and splicing(?) part. I am aware of......
I am not aware of any pre-made products for this..... but 1) I am in the US and 2) I always make my own.

Where are you located? Since you are looking at 230V inverters I assume you are not in North America like I am. Even If I knew of something available here, it would probably not work where you are.

BTW: If you go the extension cord rout, there is no splicing.... Just cutting and stripping the insulation. Typically the internal wires are even color coded correctly (Probably Blue, brown or Black and green/yellow) for you.)

Yes, that's it! What size would be good?
Well, there are two dimensions you need to specify:
1) The size of the wire.
2) The size of the hole (This needs to match the mounting post inside the inverter)

The manual has this table:

1653189501023.png

If you have the 3 KVA model, the ring lug needs a 6.4mm hole (The stud is 6MM)
It is interesting that they specify the length..... I have not seen that before and a lot of places that sell ring lugs don't tell you the length.
For wire size they give you an option of either two smaller wires or one large wire. (I prefer using a single wire if it is possible).

Note: For a 3000W 48V inverter, 2 gauge seems large, but if that is what they call for, that is what you should use.

So, you need a ring lugs for 2AWG (38mm^2) wire with a 6.4mm hole.

I am not aware of any pre-made products for this..... but 1) I am in the US and 2) I always make my own.

Where are you located? Since you are looking at 230V inverters I assume you are not in North America like I am. Even If I knew of something available here, it would probably not work where you are.

Yes, I'm from the Philippines. Just now I remember that in our local ACE they may have a service for this. We get our custom heavy-duty extension cords from them although not exactly cutting and stripping off the insulation.

Well, there are two dimensions you need to specify:
1) The size of the wire.
2) The size of the hole (This needs to match the mounting post inside the inverter)
If you have the 3 KVA model, the ring lug needs a 6.4mm hole (The stud is 6MM)
It is interesting that they specify the length..... I have not seen that before and a lot of places that sell ring lugs don't tell you the length.
For wire size they give you an option of either two smaller wires or one large wire. (I prefer using a single wire if it is possible).

Note: For a 3000W 48V inverter, 2 gauge seems large, but if that is what they call for, that is what you should use.

So, you need a ring lugs for 2AWG (38mm^2) wire with a 6.4mm hole.

(y) :cool: ?

I'm good to go, thanks again for all the help!

Back