diy solar

diy solar

Opinions on current LifePO4 (lithium) battery brands for off-grid applications

Fenachrone

My completely non-expert impression is that SimpliPhi is highly regarded, maybe considered the best of the bunch. I've also seen a lot of attention around Kilovault. What strikes me as curious, though, is the fact that Kilovault and alt-E, an RE distributor, have the same physical address. The late solar queen at alt-E, Amy (RIP) mentions in a video that the two companies have some relationship, but it's not clear what that is. And that's not to say it's a problem, but like I said, just curious.

How about Battle Born? I haven't noticed a lot of people using them for off-grid, but they are selling direct, so maybe that's the reason -- you don't see them on the usual retail sites.

There are others: Dakota Lithium, Big Battery, Discover, Ionic, RELiON, Canbat, Rolls... I also notice someone put up a video showing that he bought China-made batteries on Alibaba and saved big $$$. Seems like he has quite the load of batteries for $3800.

Alright, so, what I'm primarily interested is the experience people have had with their particular lithium battery brand in various off-grid situations, as measured by reliability and performance.

As you probably saw, all the batteries you listed are more expensive than others available. From what I've experienced, they are also well made and have something unique these days called "customer service". I own ten, 24v BattleBorns with zero issues for over 2 years. They had a very good reputation before I bought them. One of the first tear downs Will Prowse did was on a BB and from what I recall had an excellent review. When setting up my system I've called and/or emailed one of their supervisors more times than I can remember and he always responded promptly.

You didn't mention Relion Battery. They have been around a fairly long time. They appear to be more focused on the golf cart battery market now. I bought several of their lithium RB100 12v batteries for my camper years ago. Last month one of their batteries wasn't taking a charge properly. I called their service dept to discuss the issue but the call went to voicemail. I didn't leave a message but the tech calls me back from caller i.d. two minutes later. I explain my problem and he says it sounds like it might be a bad cell and he's sending me out a new battery at no cost that day! And this was a 5 year old battery. They are a little on the expensive side - for a reason. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing you probably won't find that type service at Alibaba.

So, It kinda depends on what your looking for. I'm sure there are other well run battery companies around, and I know anything can happen financially, but what good does a ten year warranty on a battery do if the company isn't around in ten years - or even five? I know I don't wanna blow 10-15 grand on Lifepo4 batteries and pray they work as advertised from some vendor 10,000 miles away. Anyway, I believe, IN GENERAL, you do get what you pay for in regards to batteries and solar components. Everyone doesn't have the cash to spend on top of the line components so they decide what's more important to them; quality, quantity and/or price.

I use Fortress batteries for pretty much the same reason as @Mik4111 pointed out.
Any of the Teir1 battery makers will cost about double the Price of the cheap models that are sold.
Your Paying brand new Real Grade A EV Cells and not Telecom Cells along with active balancing BMS systems. Also the support and quality of the builds are unbelievably good with these kinds of batteries plus they come with all the needed certificates to pass any Inspection.

Back