diy solar

diy solar

Outback Radian 8048A and 8048A1 Questions

MiSh

Solar Enthusiast
Called Outback Power and they are off for the rest of the week so I thought I'd try my question here. Was interested in buying an Outback Power FPR-8048A, GS8048A inverter charger pre-assembled unit. A bit confused over the UL designations and their meanings. Can anyone explain the difference between the "A" suffix and the "A1" after the equipment? Outback states they are UL1741, but some have a UL1741SA designation and can now be used in Cal, and Hawaii. From what I can gather, the A1 indicates UL1741SA certified and A is not? Does it matter now if I'm not in those states or will it ever matter?

CA already requires UL1741SB which supersedes SA. You really need to check with your local utility provider as to their particular Inverter requirements for your area if you wish to do net metering and/or obtain a permit.

CA already requires UL1741SB which supersedes SA. You really need to check with your local utility provider as to their particular Inverter requirements for your area if you wish to do net metering and/or obtain a permit.
Thanks. so, in general, if I was not interested in net metering and wanted to use strictly as an off-grid type arrangement these designations would most likely not be as important for permitting etc...?

For Off-Grid the utility would not be involved but again depending on your local jurisdiction they may or not be flexible in their interpretation of the building code. For example, if there is a list of approved equipment they may insist on you using only one of those products even though its technically not needed for Off-Grid. Unfortunately many building officials/inspectors are not necessary very smart, creative or willing to take extra time to understand a unique situation.
If you are going to get permits, I would advise making an appointment with the head building dept. official and explain the Off-Grid system and make sure to bring a good single line drawing to the meeting. Don't purchase equipment until you have reasonable confidence the AHJ will work with you.

Back