diy solar

diy solar

Panel Question

grebaba

Hi
I have 10 265 watt panels with 37.9 volts voc and 9.22 amp's I just received. I can't run them in series because of shade.
What I would like to do is run 2 strings, each in parallel with 5 panels going to one Epever 100 amp cc and one string into another 100 amp epever CC.
Will this cause any problems?
I have been researching and even bought 2 books on the subject and if I understand this correctly then the amps add up and volts stays at 37.9.
Thanks
Greg

Does the Epever have an amp input limit? That is the only issue I could see.

What voltage do you plan to run?

Hi
I have 10 265 watt panels with 37.9 volts voc and 9.22 amp's I just received. I can't run them in series because of shade.
What I would like to do is run 2 strings, each in parallel with 5 panels going to one Epever 100 amp cc and one string into another 100 amp epever CC.
Will this cause any problems?
I have been researching and even bought 2 books on the subject and if I understand this correctly then the amps add up and volts stays at 37.9.
Thanks
You need two combiners with fuses for 5P.

You will likely need #4 sized wire for this, and check the voltage drop for the low operating voltage to see if you’re OK with it.

You will be limited to 24V system.

Right now I am running a 12V system as I started out with the Renogy 400W system and added 400W to it.
I was planning to convert into a 48V system as soon as I can afford a good 48v inverter next year.
The amp input limit for both cc"s is 100 amp's each.
I did find a good supplier of Battery cables 100% copper and lugs for a reasonable price and have 20 feet of #4 cable but looking at it I think I will need some more cable.
I will check into ordering some #4 cable for the mc4 to the panels.
I have 1000 AH of AGM on one battery bank and have 400 AH of lithium in the other bank and plan to add to it as I get the fund's. When the AGM's give it up I want to switch to all lithium.
How would I find the low operation voltage of the unit?
Thanks
Greg

The low operating voltage of a buck MPPT (the most common kind you can find) has to be a couple volts above the maximum voltage of the battery. I would guess 60-65V, and note if ever at the bottom limit of operating range there is danger of various conditions or mistakes causing the system to cut out. For instance there are two voltages (start voltage and operating voltage range) that both need to be satisfied.

Beyond that you need to check for the operating voltage of the MPPT or AIO you want to buy. I can tell you off hand that under 120V most high voltage MPPTs (500V or 600V max) will have trouble.

You typically need battery voltage plus 5 volts for most MPPT to start, so you won't be able to run 1S5P with those panels at 48 volts. 2 of your panels in series would likely be OK. You need to double check minimum startup volts for your equipment.

Thanks for the help as I am learning and need to figure this out.
I have been looking at inverters and like the EG4 6000 ex as it seems to do the most for my price range and I could add another one in the future if needed.
I am not planing on being off grid but would like the ease of mind that I can have my coffee in the morning in a power outage.
I have a NG powered 14 KW Generac for those outages but last year we had a -17 F degree cold front go though and they were talking and doing NG shut down's in the larger city's in our state.
That got me to thinking about some supplement power to back up the grid and the NG supply if cut off.
More then likely will never need it but will still be be able to cut my electric bill a little. Not expecting a lot out of this but who know's.
Greg

I will check into ordering some #4 cable for the mc4 to the panels.
MC4 connectors are typically 30A max.
You probably want to run 10AWG with MC4 (same as is on your panels) to a combiner box. Then the output of the combiner box should be fused to support the 4AWG from there to your SCC.

Back