diy solar

diy solar

Polish up your crystal ball

I don't expect much improvement in solar panel efficiency, 20% efficient is more than enough for most homes over summer.

there is a practical/financial limit to panel efficiency:

I don't think that will change quickly as you stated.

Government will continue to encroach upon the industry, stifling progress and helping to shift all money to the power monopolies they've already created and foster.
Industry is driven by profit margins, not innovation. The unscrupulous will float to the top and they will either create a monopoly or by agreeing on prices/wages with the competition.

Do you believe in aliens from outer space?

True on electing people that say what we want to hear, that is the only way we can possible elect people, even if those things are based on falsehoods.

As for borrowing, both sides in the US do that, the republicans by lowering taxes (mostly for the rich) and the democrats on social spending.

Why do we even allow lobbying?

Government's role is to provide achivable opertunities for all people to improve their lives and to stop abuse from unscrupulous actors in the pursuit of riches.
I am not a believer.
I never assigned a political side to those we elect and why we elect them.
There is no "we" here. I am not a collective just an individual.
Government has no overarching role other than to perpetuate itself. It is quite good at it.

there is a practical/financial limit to panel efficiency:

I don't think that will change quickly as you stated.
I don't think they will either. Maybe I did not explain that properly?

I am not a believer.
I never assigned a political side to those we elect and why we elect them.
There is no "we" here. I am not a collective just an individual.
Government has no overarching role other than to perpetuate itself. It is quite good at it.
Well, I am not that cynical, I believe most people are decent.

Not a cynic, a pragmatist. I find some folks are decent and others are not. Belief does not come into the observation of this.

There are decent people in all walks of life. Historically when our government started people went in for one term, served and then went back to their day jobs. Over the years it is changed to what it is now, incentive to get reelected.

Changing gears…

It would be cool if we could harvest the energy through water. One could have their panels at the bottom of a decorative pond and still catch the rays. I know water is reflective but this would be cool. An added bonus would be if the temperature changes in water could also be harvested and converted to electricity.

PV Efficiency issue
Univerisity of Colorodo at Boulder: (2020 article)
researchers took a perovskite solar cell, a crystal structure that's designed to harvest higher energy photons, and layered it on top of a silicon solar cell, which captures more photons in the infrared part of the spectrum -- which is made up of radiant energy that we cannot see, but we can feel as heat. Combined, the perovskite raises a 21% silicon solar cell up to an efficiency of 27% -- increasing it by a third.

I've heard that opinion more than once. What do you think is going to drive that? There is obviously a growing demand for DIY and I think maybe as much push back against it (avoiding any politics but regulatory agencies are going to do what they do). It makes me wonder if the demand will override any other forces at work. I mean, if people have money and want to spend on a widget someone is going to build and sell the widget.
Regulation will destroy DIY. No matter the pushback the utility and insurance companies will require regulation be met. You will have no choice but follow them.

I have also heard that if the utility is available to you, you MUST enroll in it. In our county even the trash service is mandatory, including electric, water, sewage, and gas.

I wonder if you must have gas service even if you have NO gas appliances. ?

I have also heard that if the utility is available to you, you MUST enroll in it. In our county even the trash service is mandatory, including electric, water, sewage, and gas.

I can see enroll, but zero use, minimum charge would still apply I expect.
But then again, what are they going to do if you refuse to pay, Cut off the service???

Last edited:

I am in un-incorporated area of Ventura county in Southern California.
My trash service is voluntary.
I am the only house on the street that is on sewer (even though all houses in the street pay for the sewer in their annual property tax).
I kicked natural gas to the side 18 months ago and no longer have a monthly gas bill/hookup.

Back