diy solar

diy solar

Poll: How was your experience with signature solar?

If you purchased products from Signature Solar, what was your experience?

• Fantastic! I have not had any issues

• I had an issue but they fixed it

• I had issues and will not purchase from them again

• I have never purchased through signature solar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pretty sure these types of polls are about as accurate as reality show voting.
Pricing over the next year for both units will be the real polling.

This is an interesting thread.

I think in general, companies that are rebranding the same products, best survive (good ratings) with good customer service and warranties. Take cheap mini splits for example, most are made by the same few companies from china that copy each other. "Brands" buy them and the one that takes care of the angry customers the best seem to have the "best made" product. Fact is, most of this stuff is just a sticker with a company name on it. Likely, they had zero involvement in the actual designing of the product.

Most of the time for equipment purchases, it's all about warranty shopping. I know this is not always the case but here we are non the less. Its a sad state of affairs in the affordable markets.

40% of sol ark customers would never buy them again by the poll I just made:
View attachment 147784
I'm not seeing 40%. What I do see is of people who reported actual purchase of Sol Ark, by a margin of 2.5 to 1 (5% compared to 2%) had a good experience either straight out of the box or had the issue resolved and it works great How are you coming up with 40% would never buy again?

Results are skewed due to high number of non purchasers for both polls on Youtube, I will admit that.

I chose the "I had a problem but they fixed it" even though it's hard to fault SS for Growatts wifi dongle that is so stoopid to setup. Once I get it setup right after repeating the steps about a dozen times, it hasn't failed since. I still have the SS guys email (Kyle) and have asked him half a dozen questions and he always responds within a day or two with an answer to my tedious question. I'm just happy we have a vendor that caters to the DIY crowd at all.

I would have liked to see an option... I have had issues and they are working on it. Not fixed yet.
One would hope that's not an option that a significant number of users would need to select at any given moment. It is a valid option though that wasn't addressed by the other options.

This is an interesting thread.

I think in general, companies that are rebranding the same products, best survive (good ratings) with good customer service and warranties. Take cheap mini splits for example, most are made by the same few companies from china that copy each other. "Brands" buy them and the one that takes care of the angry customers the best seem to have the "best made" product. Fact is, most of this stuff is just a sticker with a company name on it. Likely, they had zero involvement in the actual designing of the product.

Most of the time for equipment purchases, it's all about warranty shopping. I know this is not always the case but here we are non the less. Its a sad state of affairs in the affordable markets.
Same thing with car batteries. The battery goes down the line and they stick whatever sticker thats needed for it from walmart to sears etc.

Yet you watch two people fighting over which battery is better when its the same battery just different stickers.

Having watched the comments here about SS in the past few months, it appears they have the same issues that many growing tech companies have, especially those who were growing just before the .com bubble broke in the early 2000s. Overall reasonable products, but with glitches or problems that are not well understood except by the best technical experts. Those who can answer them are here in the forum and not working for them, and a tech support job in customer service does not attract the best of the best, nor can they currently afford to grow quickly and hire good talent. (Or so it appears).

The difference here is that SS doesn't make their own products as opposed to a software company, and as such they can't actually fix any real problems, only work with their suppliers.

I have no idea about SS's structure or ownership model (although I suspect they are a private company), nor do I expect a bubble to burst in the industry. If they want to grow, they may want to do what many software companies have done, and look for venture capital. The difference here is that in the software business, if you are good, venture capitalists will come to you, whereas in the solar industry, which is relatively small, you probably have to seek it out. And in Texas, that *may* be harder being an oil state. Additionally, as SS holds no intellectual property of their own, relative to that which a successful software company would have, that may change the discussion with a venture capitalist somewhat.

I'd probably use said capital to grow the tech support and customer service side of the business.

Again, I have no insight into the internals of the company. I only see signs similar to my knowledge of the software business.

My experience with them is that the UL listed cells in an EG4 battery were not good enough for my AHJ, and have to get the UL listed 48V at my shipping expense. I have returned the 24V battery and will soon purchase the 48V UL model

Last edited:
No experience with SS. Looking at some posts on this forum, it seems that we are looking at a technology company that grew pretty fast and because of that sometimes is struggling with support.

In addition to that, let's not forget that this is a very difficult market. A lot of people, not knowledgeable at all, are buying complex technical systems and run into problems. Although the lack of knowledge is often the real reason for failure, quite often the first to blame is one of the suppliers. This of course results into an enormous pressure on a customer service organization.

I bought a 6500EX and IMO disconnect from them in October. I just finished up building my system (6500, plus 3.6kW ground mount, no battery), even tho the inverter's been running about two months now, and I switched my critical loads over about a month ago, with grid assist. I haven't upgraded the firmware or removed the N/G bonding screw.

So far, I've not had any issues, other than the pulsing lights when the washer's running. But that's not a big deal to me, it's not like we wash clothes every day. Today it was sunny, so I turned off the grid and it ran just fine, including washing clothes while having the toaster or microwave, a few lights, TV, grow lamps, all running at the same time. We've clocked in about 150kwh generated in about two months, and it's been pretty solid. It will shut down due to overload but that's because of not managing loads better. Getting batteries will help in that regard.

Last edited:
It's hard to design a good survey, and this one conflates 4 separate questions, but I still think it's a valid and useful survey.
That's why a lot of companies simply ask "How likely are you to recommend us to a friend?" with a range of choices. It provides a snapshot of customer satisfaction.

On Monday Reported a flashing 32 error on one of my 6500 and still waiting for a reply....

Day 5 of waiting for an answer from SS still... so not a good start.

I wish I could change my vote.
Still waiting on a response from an early March email. I emailed 3 different people; 2 posted their signature solar emails on this board and still no reply.

I guess they don’t care about emails and only respond on public forums for damage control.

I wish I could change my vote.
Still waiting on a response from an early March email. I emailed 3 different people; 2 posted their signature solar emails on this board and still no reply.

I guess they don’t care about emails and only respond on public forums for damage control.
can you give me your info.

Email is still a pretty unreliable form of communication. Should be using a ticket system that you submit your information/request on a web page and it will email you acknowledgement with your ticket #. That way you at least know it is in the system.

We’re lucky to have found this forum.
I guess those who rely on email and phone communication are SOL.
I'm playing the game now, they received the inverters a week ago and Signature Solar signed for them, no communication from them. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/advice-for-signature-solar.59942/post-785243

I'll post as I receive an update, could be tomorrow, next week or even next month. For someone that isn't a member here and had to return items under an RMA it can't be a good experience. I'm patient as this is a review of their support performance and communication. At this point, it's not looking good.

I probably should not even post any of this, simply to provide an unbiased experience. However, even with posting here it is interesting; imagine someone that isn't a member here, they could be in limbo for eternity.

diy solar

diy solar
Back