diy solar

diy solar

Pour a big pad for stove

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
My wife and I just built off-grid home on a hilltop in New Hampshire. We had a large 12'x8' pad poured for wood stove. We surround stove with pavers to moderate heat. When stove cranked the pavers absorb most of the heat so we don't have to open windows. Pavers then re-radiate heat through the night. Home is nice and warm when we wake up.

Nice! Have any photos you can share?

Here is pic of unit underway. The stove is a Vermont Castings unit that was recommended by an old timer. Drove 200miles up to top of NY to get it. I like to drive. The stove was replaced by a brand new one. I asked women if she liked her brand new stove better than this old beater and she said nope. The old timer was spot on. I love this little stove. So easy to light and keeps my cabin nice and toasty. The pavers really moderate the heat. Will end up with a clay apizza oven on this pad one day.

Looks good!

For some examples of what some other folks have done Google "masonry heater" and "Rocket Mass Heater".

Lots of really interesting stuff out there on mass for heat storage.

Looks good!

For some examples of what some other folks have done Google "masonry heater" and "Rocket Mass Heater".

Lots of really interesting stuff out there on mass for heat storage.
Yep. Lots of good stuff out there. I have heard the rocket stove is popular up here in New Hampshire. Many of the designs are very old. I think Finland and Sweeden use a lot of these designs. They are a clever bunch up there. Hoping to build the large clay apizza oven someday. The pavers were going to be used in the dining room upstairs, but decided that rebar and concrete would be better structurally. The pavers would not add any strength to the house. I think pavers would have been a cool floor tho.

Back