diy solar

diy solar

Power Supply issue

jmsol

I'm about to top balance my 280AH cells individually using a 30V 10A PS. The problem is it doesn't turn green and start charging. I tried it on another battery (50AH) and it works without no problem. Voltage is set 3.65 and A on max.

I was going to show a picture of the PS trying this again but I hesitate becuase I'm afraid it could damage the batteries, if it has not already?

PS is EVENTEK KPS1505DF.

Cells are EVE 3.2 280AH LF280K

Anyone got an idea why this is?

What turn green? CV indicator? It’ll never turn to CV until the cell is closer to 90%. It’ll be in CC (constant current) during bulk charging.

Also no need for max charge current to start, I’d start off at 5amp, watch the voltage climb then when you feel comfortable then ramp up to max current, maybe 10-30min or so of playing with it.

Did you read the PDF for top balancing?

What turn green? CV indicator? It’ll never turn to CV until the cell is closer to 90%. It’ll be in CC (constant current) during bulk charging.

Also no need for max charge current to start, I’d start off at 5amp, watch the voltage climb then when you feel comfortable then ramp up to max current, maybe 10-30min or so of playing with it.

Did you read the PDF for top balancing?
The indicator showing it's charging. It instantly turnes green when charging but not in this case, only orange/red?

Ok.

Yes.

I think the green light you are referring to only means either the power supply is voltage limiting or current limiting depending on the load.

Likely the green light comes on when power supply goes into set voltage limiting voltage after load current drops below the current limit setting.

Make sure you set the power supply voltage limit at or below 3.65v BEFORE you connect it to cells and don't touch it while cells are connected.

Last edited:
I think the green light you are referring to only means either the power supply is voltage limiting or current limiting depending on the load.

Likely the green light comes on when power supply goes into set voltage limiting voltage after load current drops below the current limit setting.

Make sure you set the power supply voltage limit at or below 3.65v BEFORE you connect it to cells and don't touch it while cells are connected.
Not sure I understand. It turns green or red depending on if it's current limiting or voltage limiting decided by the current of the cell? Does that mean it's still charging safely when indicating red, not green?

Yes.

Back