diy solar

diy solar

Powering a mini split

It all depends on average (or steady-state) draw by the mini-split.
PV has to produce all the power consumed. Batteries are mostly to provide power consumed at night.
Hopefully, heat load is less at night and much less power is consumed 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM.

I think I saw spec for one mini-split and power consumption varied 3:1 (900W down to 300W), but BTU varied 8 or 9:1.
That would mean a fraction the efficiency at lower power, and you'd be better off cycling it on and off. Might consume 1/3 as much energy that way.
For anyone who might be interested, I got a few mini splits years ago in my house. I chose LG because they were the only ones who offered the option to add on a 3rd party thermostat. Its wonky--you have to go from the head unit through a transformer to a dry contact--which will connect to the thermostat. I have cheapo four button thermostats, but they are awesome at controlling temperature and humidity (Houston). If it's summer, and I didn't have the thermostat, the instant temp is reached, the room starts to get ultra humid and uncomfortable. The thermostats quietly turn off indoor and outdoor units when is reached. I think its worth the effort to save wear and tear on the mostly plastic parts of the unit, the savings in energy usage, and the comfort factor.

Back