diy solar

diy solar

Powering a mini split

Since there was so much chatter recently got me looking and came across this nicely done factory equipped mini split in rv.
Nice thing about this is the ceiling venting!

Since there was so much chatter recently got me looking and came across this nicely done factory equipped mini split in rv.
Nice thing about this is the ceiling venting!

This is what I have. I don’t have experience with it in the hot weather yet. I’ll post details when I do. But like others said, it’s highly dependent on insulation, size of rig, awnings, and other variables.

you can do it , may take some practicing and few bucks but you can do it and your on the right track, there is mini mini splits out there wether from Mexico or the states it can be done for a reasonable price

Look at the picture from the official brochure from ThermoKing. This is a very efficient DC electric air conditioner unit as well, condenser and evaporator are variable speed, compressor variable capacity as well. Envidia 8000 BTU . Batteries AGM 4pc 100AH @ 20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah), 1246.2WH. Data provided in the chart taken and tested on semi-truck , so volume will be much lower than your RV but insulation will be lower as well.
It should give you a general idea.
It depends on your RV heat load. ( insulation thickness, number of windows, doors, etc)
In your case, Lithium chemistry should do a bit better job because on AGM if you run them at a higher C rating then less Watts you'll get. So lithium is the way to go because they don't have the same discharge curve as AGM, lithium curve is flat.

This unit from the brochure shuts down at 11.66V 20% battery SOC.

The way they calculated 360Ah total capacity I don't think it's accurate. They based on their rated capacity minus 20% . I think it will be even lower than 360Ah. Because they discharge at 40a 12v which will give them only 80AH of total capacity minus 20 %. But this is a different story ...

Attachments

• envidia load .pdf
    166.4 KB · Views: 14
  • batteries envidia.pdf
    171.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
1800 watts x 80% (realistic factor) is ~1500w x 5 hours gives you 7500w to play with / 24 hours = 312.5 watts per hour. Me say no.... Unless you supplement with a generator or grid.
I presume that it would be more like 7500W / 19 = 468W per hour... A bit more, but perhaps still not enough.
I say 19 with the assumption that during the 5 hours of ~full~ Solar the batteries are just charging, 24 - 5 = 19.

Does that seem reasonable?

It seems to me, just thinking out loud, that the main questions to be answered are:

1) When the sun is *not* shining, can the battery bank sustain the overall power draw?
(Ideally, batteries could go to near near-depleted state without damage)
** The size of the battery bank could be derived from the answer to that question **

2) And when the sun is shining, can the solar panels fully recharge the battery bank, while sustaining the overall power draw?
(Worse-case: batteries start from a near-depleted state)
** The size of the solar array could be derived from the answer to that question **

Disclaimer:
I have *not* done this (yet), so the points above are just my assumptions (and you know what they say about assumptions!)

Last edited:
I presume that it would be more like 7500W / 19 = 468W per hour... A bit more, but perhaps still not enough.
I say 19 with the assumption that during the 5 hours of ~full~ Solar the batteries are just charging, 24 - 5 = 19.

Does that seem reasonable?
I think I can get more than 5 hours most of the year. Even when the sun is low in the sky my 2k array is putting out 500w most of the time. Probably from 9-6 right now. I just ordered a 9k BTU AC for my work shop, so we'll see. I don't expect my little 6kwh battery pack to make it through the night running the AC, but I am hoping it will keep the room cool while I am there. After I build my house, I will have grid to fill in during the night, so no issues.

Check out my graphs for Sunday through Today: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/76892/share/d5bbdd04 ... 90F temps, full sun (today is supposed to get cloudy and stormy in the afternoon). My usual load is about 5kWh/day without the AC so the AC is adding another 10 or so.. and I'm able to produce enough to both run it and recover the batteries by 1pm (3.3kW solar, 27kWh battery).

Check out my graphs for Sunday through Today: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/76892/share/d5bbdd04 ... 90F temps, full sun (today is supposed to get cloudy and stormy in the afternoon). My usual load is about 5kWh/day without the AC so the AC is adding another 10 or so.. and I'm able to produce enough to both run it and recover the batteries by 1pm (3.3kW solar, 27kWh battery).
Wow... That's a boat-load of power... Consumed & produced!

Ok, I have watched videos till my eyes are crossing and my mind is numb!
I guess i'm just that dense!!
I am installing a 12000 BTU mini split in my Cargo Conversion Toy Hauler. I have a small 110v fridge (Dormer style) and the Mini says it pulls 9.1 AMP (At startup) and reduces down after room temp gets where it satisfies the thermostat. It then cycles on and off.
My question is, if I install 1800 watts of solar on the roof and have 400ah of Lithium Ion, Will I be able to run it 24/7?
I know there are calculators and other sources out there, but I just need some advice on whether I'm headed in the right direction or just full of crap!! Could be the latter. LOL
Yes you can. I just put up a new thread on this. With your solar count, you should have no problems. I'm doing it 2 years now with under 1000w coming in.

Yes you can. I just put up a new thread on this. With your solar count, you should have no problems. I'm doing it 2 years now with under 1000w coming in.
link?

I just (literally) had a 9k btu unit delivered by FedEx just now. I probably won't get around to installing it this weekend, but I am pretty excited to be finally trying it. I know my battery/solar will not run it full time, but it might be just enough to keep me comfortable while I am in the workshop. :)

It's 109F here so far today, which is a break from yesterdays 118F.
The mini split in the living room has easily got the temps down to 73F, with about 20A going into the batteries as well.
Yesterday I got the living room down to 71F in the late afternoon and then turned the A/C off. It went back on each time the temp climbed back up to 78 - 79F, which only happened 3 times.
So far my FLA golf cart battery bank has had no problems with the load despite its great age and was still at about 58% capacity this morning.

link?

I just (literally) had a 9k btu unit delivered by FedEx just now. I probably won't get around to installing it this weekend, but I am pretty excited to be finally trying it. I know my battery/solar will not run it full time, but it might be just enough to keep me comfortable while I am in the workshop. :)

LOL!! Sound advice!! I plan to install up to 2000 watts. (that's all I can fit) and the 400ah lithium battery. Carry the generator just in case and we will see! Maybe I will need a second 400ah battery. Who knows.
didnt work for me i am using 1k every hour with my 1200watt panel and 300useable AH on my SLA everstart 29dc MAXX maybe with a 400AH at 48volt LFP plus 5kw panels will be great

Gearing up to try and run a 9k btu, mini-split from pioneer. Tried and failed without doing my research off a 200AH amperetime and 150w solar panel. New setup comes early-September in SoCal high desert (to cool 80sq ft bedroom):
  • Solar array: 750-1000w of panel depending on what can be fit.
  • Storage: 618AH SOK lithium running in parallel.
  • Power: 2200w pure sine wave giandel inverter
  • Mppt charge controller (any recommendations for better and priced under $500?): 40a rich solar mppt charge controller
I’m hoping the small size of room, ample sun and cool nights allow this setup to run 24/7. If anyone has a good recommendation on charge controller, please send (using 10 gauge wire into the charge controller, so needs to accommodate). Will let all know if this works.

Victron 100/50 is a nice unit that doesn’t break the bank.

Back