diy solar

diy solar

Prices dropping, will this continue?

I assumed a ten year life with a battery and inverter cost of $11,000. I also assumed I would use 16 kWh per day on a 42 kWh pack. So $11,000 divided by 3650 days is a cost per day of $3 per day. Then $3 per day divided by 16 kWh is $0.20 per kWh. It is a little less than 1500 cycles. I am sure there are a few different ways to calculate long term cost of operation per kWh.
Ok, so if you doubled use of your battery and left say 10kWh of reserve, you'd be at 10 cents per kW.

you'd be at 10 cents per kW.
Yes 10 cents per kWh for storing energy that cost 5 cents to produce with solar. If you were arbitraging the grid that cost would be higher plus in my case Non Bypassable Charges of 2.5 cents have to be added because I am on NEM 2.0.

Your $0.20/kWh is more likely to match reality.
My figures are bottoms up best case. But including my expectation it will go down in flames after 25% of claimed life, we arrive a exactly the same figure (well, not quite; you included inverter and PV.)

I expect PV to last 25 to 40 years (but some bad panels die young.)
Quality inverter to last 20 years.
Battery to last 16 years of 1 cycle/day (if 6000 cycles is to be believed).

My alternate way to determine cost is 10% of purchase price per year for long-lived assets. That bakes in some interest rate. So exactly what you did, except I apply it to things not expected to wear out.

Yes 10 cents per kWh for storing energy that cost 5 cents to produce with solar. If you were arbitraging the grid that cost would be higher plus in my case Non Bypassable Charges of 2.5 cents have to be added because I am on NEM 2.0.

And I've said 5 cents to store a kWh that cost 2.5 cents to produce (only if same inverter supports battery.)

I recently paid $2000 for 3x SBS 5.0, $3000 for 2x LG RESU-10H. Those batteries have about half the cycle life of LiFePO4, works out to $0.085/kWh if no other costs to install.

Marginally worth using to arbitrage my $0.20/kWh spread between on/off peak. If they served me for occasional backup, using for arbitrage would let them pay for themselves, backup is free. Except first night of a power failure would be spent in the dark, because they would be drained every evening when peak rates ended.

I was primarily interested in AC coupling them to SI + AGM, keeping AGM at float thereby extending life. Not sure they will respond to frequency shift for both charge and discharge. SMA denies "off-grid 60" applies to SBS, says that is an SB thing. I have a screenshot from their instructions indicating otherwise.

...........I just received 16 Batterotech 280Ah cells from GobelPower today......this is rather..........unexpected..........

Havent got the time to install it yet. Still very surprised with the delivery......
Exciting news! Let us know if the cells check out plz!

Exciting news! Let us know if the cells check out plz!
Except the part where I am in Singapore right now and not in Malaysia. Gonna take some annual leaves to go back home as soon as possible.
From the pictures and videos sent by my parent at hometown, all 16 Batterotech cells are in pristine condition.

Now then.....where is my other cells order from Seplos? Hmm.......

One of my concerns with those cells is the small contact points. It looks smaller than my EVE 230 cells.

I heard an analyst on the radio say that the declining prices of solar panels will likely end by the summer. Perhaps this might apply to batteries as well

Just ordered 48 cells at $79.00 before shipping for 304 grade a with test report from Amy@Luyuan. But I want her to stay in business so I am not beating them down on price.3277522D-088D-437C-9E0F-334D17916167.png

Last edited:
So with my three purchases I have 72+kWh in ten 24v custom boxes for $12,448.00. Including four extra JK BMS, two screens, on/off switches and two extra breakers, 40 flexible buss bars plus 8 meters 2ga 200 degree silicone wire.

Back