diy solar

diy solar

Problem running a washing machine on solar?

Just a guess at the lack of information provided by the OP but direct drive washers are completely different beasts than anything 20yr ago.

If the OP ever give specific information about the washing machine model number it’d confirm the issue.

Direct drive a probably inverted 3 phase I would think, so should be even easier on inverters I would think, unless their bad power factor causes the problem.

I've seen this happen with a neighbor. Washer (and its replacement) wouldn't run with an old Trace inverter. Ran fine on generator power. Runs fine now with the new OutBack inverter.

We have our Samsung washer connected to an APC Line-R power conditioner. Don't know how much it really helps as the washer will still stop if I fire up the TIG when it's doing a load of wash.

Would love to find a new washer with an ac motor and a gearbox controlled by a mechanical timer. 50 year old tech that just worked.

Ok thanks. Will check inverter manual. Just washer and no extention cords or power bars. When the Tech came he said he had the same problem. And returned the machine and bought a cheaper one with just 3 year warranty and it works fine. We are all off grid where we live in north east ontario. It's been a problem for others also. Trying to figure a way to use it here. Or just get another like our previous one?

Glad you got one that works. Like I said I have been running the MagnaSines for many years and have never found anything that they won't run.

It sounds clearly like the inverter is having the problem with the power factor and not the washer. I run my LG with the worst possible power, MSB and under voltage. I'd try it with 200 feet of the cheapest extension cord (#18) to soften the current surge with 2.5 ohms. Use the cold tap setting as heaters will screw this up. If that works, the issue can be addressed in another way.

I have the exact same problem as OP. My Magnum 4448PAE won’t run my 2020 model GE top load stacked washer. Soon as it starts to agitate the washer basically codes out and stops. Runs fine off any generator I own. I purchased a used Samsung front load stacked set to give a try.

I’ve been researching inverter drive technology direct drive washers all day today. If the Samsung works I may invest in one of them along with a heat pump dryer if I can find a stacked set like that.

Last edited:
It sounds clearly like the inverter is having the problem with the power factor and not the washer. I run my LG with the worst possible power, MSB and under voltage. I'd try it with 200 feet of the cheapest extension cord (#18) to soften the current surge with 2.5 ohms. Use the cold tap setting as heaters will screw this up. If that works, the issue can be addressed in another way.
Wish I would have seen this post before I spent $600.00 on a test set. I would rather have front load anyway since they use less water. I tank in water.

Washing and drying my first load of clothes with my new to me front loader stacked set. The Magnum has no problem running both at the same time. So glad o bought these. The washer uses so much less water it’s crazy! The old washer probably used 40 gallons a load. This one maybe 10?

The two running at the same time is drawing about 800w.

But does it actually clean the clothes? Everyone keeps telling me they love their high efficiency washer but I've tried a couple different ones (we have some at work) and they don't actually clean the clothes. The cycle takes 2+ hours and it gently swishes your clothes back and forth for those two hours, you take them out and they're still dirty and smell bad, God help you if they have an oil stain in them. Throw the same item of clothing in my old school agitator washer, 40 minute cycle, takes almost any stain or odor out, no pre spraying of stains with anything. Yeah it uses more water but you also don't have rewash your clothes because it didn't get them clean.

I really want to switch to a high efficiency washer just for the water savings but they just don't seem to work - at all - if your clothes are actually dirty, I'm a mechanic so my clothes are always dirty and that doesn't work out too well.

But does it actually clean the clothes? Everyone keeps telling me they love their high efficiency washer but I've tried a couple different ones (we have some at work) and they don't actually clean the clothes. The cycle takes 2+ hours and it gently swishes your clothes back and forth for those two hours, you take them out and they're still dirty and smell bad, God help you if they have an oil stain in them. Throw the same item of clothing in my old school agitator washer, 40 minute cycle, takes almost any stain or odor out, no pre spraying of stains with anything. Yeah it uses more water but you also don't have rewash your clothes because it didn't get them clean.

I really want to switch to a high efficiency washer just for the water savings but they just don't seem to work - at all - if your clothes are actually dirty, I'm a mechanic so my clothes are always dirty and that doesn't work out too well.
They seam to be just as clean to me. Just went in and checked a few shirts And a pair of jeans I wore out working yesterday. We use Tide brand name detergent and bounce dryer pads if that even matters. We also didn’t load it down too heavy. Normal load was 1:15.

Next load we wash I’m going to measure how much water it uses. Also going to try extra rinse to se what happens.

Never had any issues with my stacked Bosch set or full size LG. We do use the "he" (high efficiency) detergent though, not sure if it makes a difference.

My wife used to be a personal fitness trainer, and with the old-style washer we actually had more issues. Only one type of detergent really worked.

Back