diy solar

diy solar

Problem with Solarcabin Channel - AIBU?

Being an admin/ moderator on a forum is a tough job. Almost all of us post answers that others could reasonably debate and anyone can get a little bit testy in a disagreement. But at a certain point, after a mountain of just plain wrong information is posted with massive amounts of attitude, I suggest that perhaps it becomes a preponderance of evidence situation. Which goes back to the tough job...

As others have noted, "ignore" is helpful but it doesn't help a person with little knowledge sort through and separate good advice from gibberish. Perhaps repeated postings of just plain wrong information (probably something Will or other admins with much knowledge must determine) becomes the standard for any of us? Just a thought.
I gave it a few days to look over everything that he posted and think about it.

At the end of the day I realize that multiple members had multiple issues with his posts. One of the rules here on the forum is if multiple members are not happy with an individual member's behavior, they can be warned. That did not seem to help so I issued a ban until the end of the month.

I felt like he was very manipulative at times. To make it seem like he wasn't doing anything wrong. Endless paragraphs trying to justify his side. He also claimed to have known me for years but I don't know him. I think he was trying to use that to create credibility. Not sure really.

But the common denominator for many reports here on the forum in the last few days was him. And once the ban was issued everything went back to normal again. Seems like it worked.

Yes, agreed. Well said
I've called a good forum like a training ground before, where less experienced users get to practice answering and more experienced users get to correct their answers. It's the wrong answers and the corrections and the debates where everybody learns something. Forums that shame incorrect answers become school like environments. See: troublefreepool.

That said, if a defiantly incorrect user is overwhelming the forum with unhelpful answers then user bans are sometimes necessary. I like temporary bans at first.

I left this forum for over a year because the BS got to be a little too much. Most of the folks that caused problems back then, seem to have disappeared.
Yes, they eventually do. People who want to learn and help others stick around.

Considering the sheer size of this forum and daily visitor volume, I am actually blown away that we do not have that many issues. The overwhelming majority of people here are fantastic!! If you compare our discussions to what is posted on other solar specific forums and social media groups, I think our site is by far the best!

Last edited:
I will say, I've delt with a lot of people online that I have met IRL (in real life). Rarely do people interact in similar ways, not sure why this is, but on my average account, much more niceties are shown when in a more vulnerable position overall.

I will say, I've delt with a lot of people online that I have met IRL (in real life). Rarely do people interact in similar ways, not sure why this is, but on my average account, much more niceties are shown when in a more vulnerable position overall.
Because keyboards can't throw real punches...

The problem is most people take post count as being a representation of the quality of the advise (with reality being post count = no outside life most of the time :) ).

At the rate the aforementioned subject of this thread was going post count wise he would look like an old timer in no time.
Yeah… those of us with no life tend to accumulate a high post count…

I have been put on a Strict DIY-Solar Screen Time, Schedule with Parental Controls that block my access during times of the day I am supposed to be: Working, taking care of livestock, having supper or sleeping... :ROFLMAO: NOT!!!
I refuse to login from my desk at work, otherwise my work wouldn't get done; most of my time is spent on the production floor engaging with my team anyway.
I'm supposed to be finishing a battery rack and doing some N/G bond tests along with the endless list of other projects.
All this screen time I might need to find my blue light blocking glasses ?

But the quality of your posts is better (less Crap?) than mine, based on the metric Quality of Posts = Reaction Score / Messages
by the metric quality of posts = reaction score/messages,
Compare: OGFG
reaction score 1833 / making funny comments 1725 = 1.06
compared with: Timselectric
reaction score 11491 / practical electrical comments 14422 = 0.80
compared with: Hedges
reaction score 9429 / electrical phyisics comments 17399 = 0.54

proving the comedian in the room gets the most reaction from a crowd ... ;)

Back