diy solar

diy solar

psa: Chargeverter is LOUD

20 of those will almost match a ChargeVerter for only 4X the price. Though, as you say, meets the silent criteria. 😁
Oops, missed the 120v input, but same difference as they say
Oops, sorry, I meant this one:

HEP-2300-55

I was looking at mouser today at some other meanwell supplies. I think I saw a 1000W version around $230.

Meanwell

I wonder possibly getting two of them and maybe doing two dedicated 15A(with breakers) outlets on a 30A plug or something. I am going to do more searching though. Ideally I would love it if I could run the AC while charging the batteries.

I have 48V 100AH battery and most generator sites allow 4-6 hours a day on so worst case I want a minimum of 25A of charge current.

Last edited:
As @Brucey says, HEP-2300-55, otherwise HEP-1000-48 for half size. I use the 2300 daily.

Both can do 120v or 240 but the 2300 derates itself to I believe 1500ish on 120. Idk what the 1000's derate is.

Side note: My 1600w rated propane generator cannot run the 2300 on 120v, it gets into a disqualifying cycle. Not sure exactly why maybe it tries to draw 2300 for a second.

As @Brucey says, HEP-2300-55, otherwise HEP-1000-48 for half size. I use the 2300 daily.

Both can do 120v or 240 but the 2300 derates itself to I believe 1500ish on 120. Idk what the 1000's derate is.

Side note: My 1600w rated propane generator cannot run the 2300 on 120v, it gets into a disqualifying cycle. Not sure exactly why maybe it tries to draw 2300 for a second.
Thanks, I think this is the derate for the 1000. Looks like not an ideal fit for 120V charging.

Screenshot_20240607_203449_Samsung Notes.jpg

Looks like it becomes a 750W charger, if that's a problem. But I don't think it hurts them to run them on the derating slope.
I have two dedicated 20A breakers/branch circuits for the washer and dryer I could switch over to 240V.

What about using one of those 5kva Autotransformers sold by solar companies to boost the voltage before going into the charger?
I think we've lost track a bit here of what problem we're trying to solve. That would address a very specific circumstance where you only have a high amperage 120 source available like a TT-30 outlet maybe.

I think we've lost track a bit here of what problem we're trying to solve. That would address a very specific circumstance where you only have a high amperage 120 source available like a TT-30 outlet maybe.
Couple posts up you said one of those throttles to 750W on 120V, you can easily get 120V generators at 1500W or 3000W

Couple posts up you said one of those throttles to 750W on 120V, you can easily get 120V generators at 1500W or 3000W
Oh right, but you can solve that by using the 2300W version instead, which can do about 1400W on 120v.

But there's the complication my 1600W inverter generator couldn't start up the 2300W version. I didn't try turning down the output current to see if that would allow it to start up though. It's possible that would help if it's initially trying to go to full power and then throttle down to the 120v limit only after it sees the high input amperage.

I think (hope) that the ChargeVerter GC ramps up slowly. My first one arrived yesterday, so hope to try it this weekend on a Honda EU3000is

Oh right, but you can solve that by using the 2300W version instead, which can do about 1400W on 120v.

But there's the complication my 1600W inverter generator couldn't start up the 2300W version. I didn't try turning down the output current to see if that would allow it to start up though. It's possible that would help if it's initially trying to go to full power and then throttle down to the 120v limit only after it sees the high input amperage.
Yes seems like quite a bit of inrush when they start up. My main goal is silence, no tolerance for a screaming little fan. I'll figure out closer to winter when I may need it. Might be able to run two of the 1000W off my Honda eu2200 assuming the derate to around 700W each and startup may be acceptable, plus some redundancy there.

I'll figure out closer to winter when I may need it.
I will see if I can do some more testing this summer. There are several things that might fix it.

1. Mine is a pulsar 2200W that's rated for 1600W on propane, and I was on propane.

2. I was using 125ft of 12 awg extension cord.

3. Adjusting the output current down to the intended power output, rather than relying on the automatic derating mechanism.

At some power level the $300 step-up transformer will crossover on cost advantage (it also allows the 120V generator to power both phases if it comes to it). Since it reduces the amount of power converter by 30-40%

It is a pretty massive solution though.

I will see if I can do some more testing this summer. There are several things that might fix it.

1. Mine is a pulsar 2200W that's rated for 1600W on propane, and I was on propane.

2. I was using 125ft of 12 awg extension cord.

3. Adjusting the output current down to the intended power output, rather than relying on the automatic derating mechanism.
Oh I didn't realize we can adjust the current as well as the voltage on these.

Oh I didn't realize we can adjust the current as well as the voltage on these.
Yes. It has two little very sensitive adjustment pots that you turn with an eyeglass repair kit sized philips screwdriver to set the max voltage and max current.

Also, the 2300W at least, can be programmed with an additional dongle they sell for $50 and it can set 3 stage charge profiles too. I don't remember if the 1000W can also be programmed like that. I wanted to have the option, but I didn't buy the dongle right away and I don't see myself needing it ever so far. One voltage is fine with me.

I think the Chargeverter 2 has easier adjustability. Wonder if anyone has gotten their hands on one to check the noise level. Not holding out much hope though — CV1 used what I consider data center style components… and in that domain noise doesn’t matter 😵

Back