diy solar

diy solar

PV panels as overhang awnings?

Jdplus33

The house we have purchased in the USVI catches a LOT of sun! Has anyone ever used solar panels to extend the roofline, like your might use awnings? They would need to be removable, or at least capable of being folded down, so that we can protect them in the event of a hurricane. Thx

I recommend doing stuff like that to everyone that buys panels from me. I may actually do it on my motorhome if I can't fit enough on the roof.

my line: why drill holes in a good roof? build a carport, shed, lean-to.. whatever.

I’d love to know also. We have a 3 story townhouse with a balcony on the second floor that catches sunlight overhead and to the west for about 3.5 hours. A solar panel awning would be very nice.

I have a carport covered with an awning about 40 feet long. I was thinking about putting my solar panels (when I buy them) on top of the awing as not to install on the roof. I don't think the weight would be that much of an issue as the weight is distributed over the awing length.

With the panels on top of the awning, they will be easier to keep clean on a latter and I wouldn't need to walk on the roof. At 75, that isn't too smart climbing on top of a roof and walking around on the slop.

Depends on the awning. Some of them are pretty flimsy. Panels have pretty much zip structural capabilties and rely on the mounting to provide that. Depending on the wattage you might be looking at 20kg / panel. I'm not sure I'd load up a fold down awning with 100kg of panels.

75 isn't a problem @Jim Burrow, you just need to crank the roof down to ground level.

1599626766915.png

I plan on doing this. I'm building a home office in the backyard. (converting a tuffshed) I rent and my landlord is cool about it. Anyway, I have some tall trees and placement of my shed won't really do well for solar panels. I'm going to mount several panels to act like an awning. I plan to mount poles sleeves into 5 gallon buckets of concrete. and build a structure based on that. I will probably have 6 or 8 panels pending the amount of batteries I can buy. Chainlink fence toppipe is 1 3/8 OD and will work great. I want to also figure out a nice way to make them adjustable.

I plan on doing this. I'm building a home office in the backyard. (converting a tuffshed) I rent and my landlord is cool about it. Anyway, I have some tall trees and placement of my shed won't really do well for solar panels. I'm going to mount several panels to act like an awning. I plan to mount poles sleeves into 5 gallon buckets of concrete. and build a structure based on that. I will probably have 6 or 8 panels pending the amount of batteries I can buy. Chainlink fence toppipe is 1 3/8 OD and will work great. I want to also figure out a nice way to make them adjustable.

Please start a thread, with pictures, when you get this going.

Are 5 gallon buckets of concrete enough to combat uplift force’s from the wind?

There are several commercial versions of awnings & window shades designed to make use of solar panels, Google Seach for Images and you will see many variants. They are not that complex or difficult but do have to be well considered and of course, there is the wiring issues too, which really has to be thought out and planned. A creative DIY'er could most certainly replicate several the commercial ideas out there.

There are several commercial versions of awnings & window shades designed to make use of solar panels, Google Seach for Images and you will see many variants. They are not that complex or difficult but do have to be well considered and of course, there is the wiring issues too, which really has to be thought out and planned. A creative DIY'er could most certainly replicate several the commercial ideas out there.

Indeed, I would love something like this awning for our 2nd floor balcony even though it only gets a few hours of sunlight per day. I wonder how it would fare during a hurricane?

I would create Bahama-style shutters that would swing up to catch sun and swing down for hurricane protection. The hinge & latch hardware is readily available.

I have no problem sacrificing the panels to protect the windows and home interior.

shutter.jpg

Indeed, I would love something like this awning for our 2nd floor balcony even though it only gets a few hours of sunlight per day. I wonder how it would fare during a hurricane?
Considering that some of the commercial solution s are Hurricane Rated that would be a clue. Mind you, let's be realistic, if a Hurricane / Tornado is chucking crap everywhere, Glass is a Target, just like Mobile Homes (they always get it). Panels are cheap eh, in the grand scheme of things, the cheapest part more or less.

Depends on the awning. Some of them are pretty flimsy. Panels have pretty much zip structural capabilties and rely on the mounting to provide that. Depending on the wattage you might be looking at 20kg / panel. I'm not sure I'd load up a fold down awning with 100kg of panels.

75 isn't a problem @Jim Burrow, you just need to crank the roof down to ground level.

View attachment 22245
Thanks for the input. My awning is all metal, attached to the house at one end and poles every 10 feet at the other. A young child could walk on it.

“I would create Bahama-style shutters”

It is unlikely that we can engineer panels like storm shutters, though on a different structure it would fit like a glove! There is the issue of whether to install end to end or side to side - more power on the same eave when side to side; less leverage for the wind to damage the panels when end to end.

The brackets shown in one link require a wall for mounting. This Caribbean home has exposed rafter tails with a facia and gutters.

1599668476836.jpeg

Thanks for all the ideas and links! More questions, and maybe some day, design drawings or ? installation photos!

Please start a thread, with pictures, when you get this going.

Are 5 gallon buckets of concrete enough to combat uplift force’s from the wind?
yeah so I have a DIY canopy on the other side and I have special made pole sandbags. They hold 40 lbs of sand each. The thing gets massive amounts of wind and doesn't lift. so the raw structure along with the buckets will be enough. If I need more weight I can add the sand bags, but I will have 6 poles to the ground so I think 6 5 gallon buckets will work out well.

oh and yeah when I get things started I will be documenting all of it! (out here in cali right now and the fires are to bad to be outside)

Back