diy solar

diy solar

Question on charge rates & generator load on Sol-Ark 12K?

Easty

This is something I've struggled with for a while though it's only the winter months when I find I have not yet discovered a solution.

We are in a full off-grid configuration and when the sun gets a little timid we use a 9500W Predator inverter generator (hooked up on both legs to the Sol-Arks Grid input) to replenish the batteries.

The issue I have is the need to limit the charge rate with the assumption while we are charging a large load from our appliances will trip out the generator. The predator has a manual trip and this means a walk out to the unit to reset everything, our older westinhouse had a more soft trip mechanism and this would reset automatically after a few minutes.
To prevent the trip scenario I limit the charge rate to about 95amps using roughly only 5kw, rather than the generators 7kw continuous rated load, this means an annoying gen on for a longer period which is never a fun thing.

My desire is to somehow have the load from the generator limited to 7000KW, the balance being shared by reducing the charge rate with home loads automatically.
Maybe there is another set-up up that anyone can suggest?
I keep a look out for a larger style 2nd hand 20kw gen, though never see them come up for sale.
THanks!

Basic setup, advanced tab, set the Gen Limit to 7,000 watts. The 12k will use up to 7kW from the generator, and supplement with battery and solar. When load goes down, any excess from generator will recharge battery.

BTW: if the generator is rated at 7kW continous, I would set the max at 85% of that. You don't want to run it at 100% for extended period of time.

Thanks for the reply Rich. I ran and checked, It was set at 6,800 watts, but it wasn't restricting it, unit was showing just over 7,000 watts on the grid input from the Gen. I think I remember when I tried to solve it previously I tried the CT sensors on the grid input also, but didn't change anything.

I'll knock it down to 6000 watts on your suggestion for the Gen continuous load.

Thanks for the reply Rich. I ran and checked, It was set at 6,800 watts, but it wasn't restricting it, unit was showing just over 7,000 watts on the grid input from the Gen. I think I remember when I tried to solve it previously I tried the CT sensors on the grid input also, but didn't change anything.

I'll knock it down to 6000 watts on your suggestion for the Gen continuous load.
According to Sol-Ark 15K manual, Gen Limit is only for generator connected to Gen terminals.

Gen Limit Power: Sets the Sol-Ark limit to keep the power drawn from the “GEN” terminal below the threshold. The inverter will reduce the charge power rate to the batteries if this value is reached.

You need to use external CTs and Grid Peak Shaving.

Grid-Peak Shaving: Sets the Sol-Ark's threshold to begin contributing power from batteries to keep the power drawn from the grid
or generator connected to the “GRID” terminal, below that value.

I’ll try switching it over to the Gen input and adding the CTs. I had it set up this way to use the smart load initially, though that’s becoming obsolete with all the affordable Smart Control devices allowing control at the specific devices rather than wiring every to a unique panel.

Thanks.

I’ll try switching it over to the Gen input and adding the CTs. I had it set up this way to use the smart load initially, though that’s becoming obsolete with all the affordable Smart Control devices allowing control at the specific devices rather than wiring every to a unique panel.

Thanks.
You don't need external CTs on the Gen input.

Thanks very much for the help!

I hadf chance to really play with it while being off work and it now works really well.

It's a little delayed in how it throttles back up, though I'm fine with that.

Cheers!

My next task was to setup some AC coupled panels and this is recommend on the GEN input.

Diagram 6 in the manual shows the Gen using Grid port with CTs and AC coupling on the Gen.

As I don't have an autostart Gen and I only use the Gen in zero sun, probably best just have a disconnect switch between gen and AC couple on the GEN port.

Back