diy solar

diy solar

Questions regarding 48v work from home camper setup

A 3048 or the EG4 are both single leg inverters and would only need a 120v generator supply to get AC pass-through. It's when you step up to the dual-leg units like the 6048 that they start calling for a 240v generator supply. Having multiple 3048's or EG4's in parallel lets you just feed a 120v generator into a single unit and not need a 240 supply as one inverter will do all the AC charging.

Basically, if the AC Out terminals are L1 and N it's 120v generator. If the unit has a L1, L2 and N then you need a 240v.

A 3048 or the EG4 are both single leg inverters and would only need a 120v generator supply to get AC pass-through. It's when you step up to the dual-leg units like the 6048 that they start calling for a 240v generator supply. Having multiple 3048's or EG4's in parallel lets you just feed a 120v generator into a single unit and not need a 240 supply as one inverter will do all the AC charging.

Basically, if the AC Out terminals are L1 and N it's 120v generator. If the unit has a L1, L2 and N then you need a 240v.

Signature Solar has $100 flat rate shipping on batteries that ends today...I was going to buy the regular EG4 Lifepower (https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-48v-100ah/) but then I noticed these were on sale for $100 more: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-ll-lithium-battery-48v-100ahd-ota/

Which do you think would work better for my situation? The specs seem to be identical except for an LCD screen built in to the more expensive battery.

Unless you're the type that needs to monitor the exact voltage of every cell all the time, the extra money isn't worth it in my book. The performance of either version is identical once it's locked up in a closet and you walk away.

Unless you're the type that needs to monitor the exact voltage of every cell all the time, the extra money isn't worth it in my book. The performance of either version is identical once it's locked up in a closet and you walk away.
I saw a video of Will reviewing this EG4 AIO - https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-6-5k-off-grid-inverter-6500ex-48/

Say I was to get that instead of two MPP 3048s or two of the smaller EG4s you linked earlier, it would be about the same price...the main cons would be that it eats more power and needs a bigger generator to support it right? And the pros would be easier setup and UL listing? Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
It's a pretty small difference between models of the same capacity and specs ( MPP, Growatt, EG4, etc) so if you're getting multiple batteries it's not really an issue. The advantages of going with those 6kw EG4's is you still can charge from a 120v generator since you'd just feed the generator into one unit like the 3048's and the inverters will talk to the batteries to optimize things like charging and balance. Their racks with the built in bus bars are pretty sweet too.

It depends on what you're plugging it into. If you're feeding it from a generator then the generator outlet should already have a properly specced breaker built into the outlet with a 10AWG extension cord, but if you're plugging it into a breaker fed from the power company then use the 50a that MPP asks for and some 8 or 10AWG wire.

Speaking of this, do you have any suggestions on a generator? What do you think of this from Harbor Freight?

Get an inverter generator, one of the Predator 3500 Quiets is a great option.

The AIO's are pretty finicky about their incoming AC and the inverter style usually play well.

Get an inverter generator, one of the Predator 3500 Quiets is a great option.

The AIO's are pretty finicky about their incoming AC and the inverter style usually play well.

Once I've turned the generator on, is it better to let my EG4 batteries charge to 100% before using any devices? Or can it be used in a more "on demand" style where I start using devices right away?

Also, is it better to use the generator when the batteries are dead or only at 5% left, or is it better to turn it on when the batteries still have about 30% left and use it to supplement the battery?

The AIO's AC charging is based on voltage so you can either leave it at default or change the on and off set points. As to when to run the generator, you'd fire it up when you only have enough power to make it through the night because you've had krappy weather for too many days. The EG4 units are pretty conservative and tend to shut off their batteries at 20% and even Will recommends changing that to 5% or 10% to get more capacity out of the batteries. There are settings in the AIO units (pretty much all flavors) to adjust that depending on which make & model you end up getting.

With the AC charging what will happen is that the generator will provide power to the AIO and whatever you are using will be fed from the generator and whatever is left will go to the batteries. Once the batteries are "full" as far as the AIO set point is concerned the generator will unload to just whatever you're currently drawing and you can shut it off at that point. If you're going to run the generator it's best to top the batteries up since you've got it running anyways.

So, for some fun example numbers:

Your inverter generator is good for 3000w of continuous power supply. Your lights and TV are going and you're playing a game on your PlayUnitBox6xXs online over your Starlink internet. Adding up all your loads you're using 1000w of power. The other 2000w that the generator can put out would be sluffed off and into your batteries to recharge them. Once you're done Pwning n00bs you shut off the TV and game system which means now you're only running 500w of power from the generator which can then send 2500w into the batteries. Once the AIO determines that the batteries are full the generator will ramp down to just the 500w you're currently using.

When you head outside and shut off the generator then the AIO will continue providing power from your panels and batteries. In a perfect world you'll always generate enough power from the panels to refill your batteries every day, or at least generate more than you've used thus gaining headway on refilling the batteries.

Did that all make sense?

Back