diy solar

diy solar

Rant about Ah and Wh...

@venquessa , welcome to the forum. I have followed your posts on the other forum simply because of the paucity of comments there, not because I am interested in the dialogue you were having there. I think you will find the quality of input much greater here and the knowledge base is far deeper, especially with regard to experience with LFP chemistry.

Last edited:
Using it on batteries is a legacy thing because batteries are consider current sources in many fields.
Don't agree with much you stated. But I do want to ask you if you played hooky the day current vs. voltage sources was taught?

A battery is NOT a current source. It's a voltage source.

A battery is NOT a current source. It's a voltage source.
Yes, here is a result of a google search,;

"..... the meaning of ``ideal current source'' is that the device provides a constant current no matter what resistance you attach across it.​
Similarly, an ideal voltage source provides a constant voltage no matter what you attach to it. If you change
$R$
, the battery (which provides constant
$V$
no matter what
$R$
is) will give you a different current. A battery is a voltage source, not a current source."​
The source is a Duke University academic paper.​
Anybody who has inadvertently shorted a battery knows the current can be significant, compared to running a low Wattage LED.

Anybody who has inadvertently shorted a battery knows the current can be significant, compared to running a low Wattage LED.

Yes. What happens to the voltage when you put the battery under that high load?

So it's not an ideal voltage source either is it?

Also. A low wattage LED is a non-ohmic load so not a very good example.

A physical device which states it's Cold Current and Max current ratings and declares its capacity in AmpHours. Its treating itself as a current source. A lead acid starter battery in particularly the big headline figure is how many cold cranking amps it has. Nobody cares at what voltage as long as it's above a minimum, they only care about the amps because it is the initial amps which will push the engine past TDC... or not.

A physical device is not an ideal anything. A battery is a current source/sink a voltage source/sink a resistor a capacitor an inductor and a whole collection of other parasitic and non-ideal things.

Back on topic. The reason why Ah sucks on battery packaging and marketing information is that is is usually (unless you buy big brand or raw industrial cells), it will be tampered with to make it sound larger. Or they have "cherry picked" the discharge curve. There are quite a few 100Ah 12V batteries which under test will apparently not put out the full assumed watt hours, because those assumed watt hours are assuming a voltage curve, but the manufacturer actually took the watt hours and divided it by 12V because 100Ah sounded better than 76.5Ah.

Power banks and any product which contains a DCDC converter the AmpHour rating will be "faked" for marketing it. They will use the higher figure. A 20Ah 5V power bank , the 20Ah will be from the ~3.7V cells inside discharge. If you test it on the 5V output you won't get 20Ah.

If you aren't starting a car or cranking a motor it's the wattage you are really interested in.

I have a 105Ah battery. I am upgrading it to a 105Ah battery. I am getting double the capacity.

@venquessa , welcome to the forum. I have followed your posts on the other forum simply because of the paucity of comments there, not because I am interested in the dialogue you were having there. I think you will find the quality of input much greater here and the knowledge base is far deeper, especially with regard to experience with LFP chemistry.

Let me explain where I am right now and how I got here, which may explain some of my tone and I agree it may be out of place.

I've been using and abusing batteries since I was a child. I'm 48. I set fire to my first lipo cell in 2007, thankfully outdoors in a speed controller fault. I nearly had one detonate beside me on the bench when the current sense lead "desoldered" itself from the load mosfet. Luckily a little tiny pack the size of a match box, but it was at that stage rolling across the desk the size of a cricket ball. That went into the sink, under water, then got transferred to a bucket and placed outdoors until it cooled down. These were the LiPo high discharge pouch cell days.

I've been running a completely DIY, bespoke 12VDC nano-system for the past 5 years? First on lead acid backed up by the LiPos and now LFP.

I find charging and discharging batteries bizarrely cathartic, or maybe it just passes time nicely with something to keep checking on. Shrug.

At the same time my main hobby outside of work is electronics and embedded software. It was in the former that I was bitten many, many times until it finally sunk in that the voltage is never the same at any two points in a circuit and solid, ideal schematic lines don't exist. Believe GND is GND is GND at your own peril.

YouTube. YouTube has identified my interest in lithium LFP and solar. So it has started recommending videos and channels to me. Additionally I have genuine questions which I don't see answers to.

What's the problem? The first problem is, and decide if this applies to you or not, people haven't the faintest idea how to measure anything. Seriously I can't watch half the videos because it's completely wrong from the start to finish. I get frustrated when commentors and creators make incorrect claims, I get even more frustrated when they then devise an experiment to prove themselves correct. Sigh. I get even MORE frustrated when you look at the comments and the forum threads with all the disciples parroting along and telling the OP how great they are for figuring all this out for them and they can just follow to the letter and even buy the snake oil garbage the person is pushing (in the extreme cases).

Now, I understand in "some" cases they are actually genuinely "lying to the children" and do actually know what they are doing. Sometimes the audience is not "you".

Units and measuring is my absolute bug bear with a lot of DIY battery and solar content online. I know it sounds "pedantic", but when someone can't even get the difference between "kilo-watt-hour" and "kilo-watt" the right way round in their head, what use is it listening to another word they have to say on the topic of solar energy? It's like claiming to be a profresional driver and not understand what a steering wheel is! It's not pedantry it's being convinced the source is worth listening to at all.

On measuring. The number of people who quote ohms law, do their little song and dance version of how to explain it to kids and then promptly throw it clean out the window in their very next measurement ... makes my mind growl.

No names, but I watched a popular YouTube channel and battery manufacturer "capacity test" a customer return. They charged the pack blunt with 14.40V 50A until it was terminated by the BMS. Where did they measure this fictional "the voltage" ... on the charger. They then did the same thing with the discharge side. Stuck the pack on a fixed current 10A load and again let the BMS hit LVC to end it. Where did they measure this fictional "the voltage" this time? The load. They came up with a capacity of something like 88Ah and claimed this was because of the small dent in the side of one cell caused in shipping, the customer has used the battery for months, but wants it replaced. They confirm that it has lost capacity. I mean... maybe... maybe if that's EXACTLY how you tested it before you shipped it. However the whole test from start to finish is just wrong. Several commentors on the video said they have had AliExpress and others refuse to accept a return based on "this equipments" test results. I do wonder why....

On LFP, my frustrations with that side of things is these voltages people keep floating around. They are almost entirely made up. People talking about "rest voltage". People talking about 14.00V charge voltage. People talking about charge termination parameters, balancers, float voltage, oh.. yes... low current overcharge. Almost never do these figures come with the required qualifiers. Where is the voltage measured? Why what? What is the current flowing at that point in the circuit? If there is any, where are the other measurements to calibrate the first?

Look, it's fine, I'll get over myself, it will stop annoying me in a while and I'll just accept it. Do keep raising it with me if I seem to have an attitude from time to time.

In this thread I confess I had a bit of my tongue in cheek because Amp-Hour is a classic thread on every electronics or electrics related forum. It never ends well because it's a unit which "depends" on so much other stuff that unless you specify those parameters it's next to meaningless.

At least people aren't going the other way and telling people to charge their LFP's on LiPo mode to 4.2Vpc to get another 2% capacity. However, there are safety aspects to this. Not understanding that voltage measurements made in a circuit underload MUST, 100% of the time be backed up by other measurements including, but especially the current.

If could strive for one thing to come out of any of my rants is for people to start reading the voltages on ALL the meters they have. To start asking why is this voltage different to this voltage? "Why do the cells add up to 14.00V but the battery is reading 14.20V and the charger is reading 14.40V?"

The safety aspect is this. If you can't answer that, or if you assume it is just "meters diverging", then you have to consider that "your" voltage measurements are not accurate to much less than 1 volt. 1 volt accuracy is NOT enough to understand what you are doing in a LFP system.

I know I'm preaching the choir here for a lot of you. I would place myself, in terms of electronics, probably nearing the bottom of my descent of mount-stupid, the point you realise compared to what you do know, what you don't know is the next, never ending mountain to climb. So do correct me when needed, but I will argue pedant points, just because that's fun.

As to measurements. I have the voltage reading of every cell, the pack, the MPPT, the panels and dozens of other readings taken every 5 seconds 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In some cases I have this data stretching back years.

Last edited:
Also. A low wattage LED is a non-ohmic load so not a very good example.
Okay how about an incandescent bulb? I will defer to the Duke University academic explanation which said it clearly and succinctly.
Let me explain where I am right now and how I got here, which may explain some of my tone and I agree it may be out of place.
Your experience pales in comparison to many of the members here and I agree it seems out of place but it is a free country and there are numerous styles here.

Last edited:
This thread has gotten off topic.
But to be fair, it was never really on topic.
Most people didn't understand the rant. And just substituted their own.
I would recommend that they start their own thread.

Okay how about an incandescent bulb? I will defer to the Duke University academic explanation which said it clearly and succinctly.

Your experience pales in comparison to many of the members here and I agree it seems out of place but it is a free country and there are numerous styles here.

The trouble with using academic sources to show something. There is usually an acedemic source to counter it.

As I said "in many fields". The reality is a battery is none of those things and all of those things and many other things.

However, I would like to make a point here. Considering circuits and their components as ideal is fine on a whiteboard and fine on a 5V 100mA breadboard. It is NOT fine when running a battery system that can burn your house down.

Half of my rant was exactly about that. It is NOT an ideal circuit and none of the components you are measuring in it are ideal not even the wires, nor the connectors and you are trying to measure with an absolutely maximum error of +/- 50mV. If you continue to use single point measurements and continue to assume "ideal" components, you will eventually damage something or set fire to something and none of your measurements can be trusted and any "made up theory" about batteries you get as a result of the measurements should be considered garbage.

@venquessa
I am going to follow the advice of @timselectric but instead of starting a new thread I am going to ignore you. I lack the self control to do otherwise, and I don't want to further hijack this thread. No one said that a battery was an ideal voltage source. It is a voltage source that can deliver variable current at a relatively stable voltage. The current varies with load. It is simple physics. I expect most readers an understand that and not be fooled by rhetoric.

Last edited:
I considered putting him on ignore, but now and then I need a chuckle. Not worth arguing with someone who *thinks* he knows it all.

I can see I'm the unwelcome fool here. I know what to do.

Hey, I don't mind at all (and I started the thread) and you're welcome here. As @timselectric said, tons of people missed the point about what I was ranting about. But that's ok - let this thread go off-topic and discuss other things.
The only thing I would ask everyone to do is to remain civil in these discussions. If not, I'll put on my moderator hat and close the thing down - and maybe throw some warnings around :)

I don't mind debates and I don't mind heated debates. Where I draw the line is when the kicks start, names get thrown and the defamation starts. Especially when the other person has to come in and give a little kick when they are done and calling me a fool.

I have redacted any valuable information I placed here. I'll find somewhere else.

I don't mind debates and I don't mind heated debates. Where I draw the line is when the kicks start, names get thrown and the defamation starts. Especially when the other person has to come in and give a little kick when they are done and calling me a fool.

I have redacted any valuable information I placed here. I'll find somewhere else.
You do understand that you can place on "ignore" individuals that you find difficult?

Ignore, or if it really crosses the line, report them.

We don't have the resources to actively patrol every thread. It's also not the intention to do that, so people have a lot of freedom to post things here that might not fly on other forums. However, if someone crosses the line and violates the rules, a report will trigger moderation action. You might not know the outcomes (we tend to keep things private between moderators and those reported), but I think that the results (we're approaching 80k users and most discussions and interactions here are pretty good, with helpful people, clean discussions, etc.) show it works.

Last edited:

We are sorry this is the path you are choosing.

Please feel free to report a post that crosses lines, we mods try to keep individuals from insulting other members, but we need a report to find it.

Thanks!

Everyone plays a role in a discussion, one just has to decide for themselves what part one will play and how far one'll take it.
I posted the image above to REMIND people of some basic truths... Everyone has to simply choose what side of the wire they are on and act accordingly. It was NOT targeted at anyone in particular, it was posted because things started to become quite childish (Grade School Sandbox Bickering)... Name Calling and such is abusive and is a tactic bullies love to use.

Back