diy solar

diy solar

Real-life winter production in SW Michigan -- lesson learned; have a backup battery charging source!

x98myers7

Solar Enthusiast
Since installing my PV system this summer I have been starting to pay a lot more attention to solar conditions, overall. needless to say, for the past almost 3 weeks now... my 2kw array has produced between ZERO and 0.8kw a day.

the cloud cover has been so thick that at peak production, I'm only getting 100-150watts. less than 10% production.

I would have to run my genset a LOT during December and January should I ever have a grid-down situation.

so, for anyone in Michigan considering a DIY off-grid/battery-based system... grid-assist for charging batteries is absolutely CRUCIAL. I have been importing the 3-4kw a day to keep my batteries charged appropriately. make sure you have a generator for backup charging and know how to connect it safely.

I am in Ohio, I have 8.4kW of panels on my roof (7.5kW of inverter power), and I've had days recently where I've gotten under 2kWh of production due to the super thick clouds and dreary conditions combining with the short days.

This time of year is brutal for solar production.

And some goons think that the entire grid should be reliant on wind and solar only :rolleyes:

I had to switch to utility mode several days back so as to not discharge my batteries. With the small amount of daytime charging this has kept them full without needing grid charging set. It also leaves me ready if a grid power interruption occurs. I figure until February (as the sun slowly comes back from its Southern location) I will be mostly functioning on grid for my critical load setup. I do have a generator if needed but it is nice to not have to run it.

Being able to use grid when the solar production is poor is a darn handy feature of these off grid AIO's. They are pretty close to set and forget in terms of maximizing whatever you can get. I do see some things I would improve on for their programs though some models have better features than others. Not quite as good as grid tie but also not having the hassles of putting up with utility company oversight nor losing all production on grid loss. (Not taking into account the Grid hybrid AIO setups a few have.)

It has definitely been a miserable few weeks in lower Michigan as it relates to the sun. I read somewhere we lead the country in cloudy days during winter months. Great Lakes are a blessing and a curse!

I live in mid-michigan and do alright. My system is almost 2x the size I need the rest of the year. But, I am able to use my system all year without the need of an alternative power source, very often.
We enjoy all the modern conveniences of power using appliances but, we are mindful of battery soc. And there are days we hold off on the laundry and wash dishes by hand.

I have a 6.74kw of solar right now in southern Manitoba and 930ah storage. The solar is enough to power the loads daily with 1-3 hrs of sun, but not enough to charge anything. I had to switch to utility mode a few days ago when the temp dropped to -40C. I will be expanding my array by another 10kw in spring. The extra power will help on these short sunny days.

Last edited:
What Darren above said, whatever you need in the summer, just double it at a minimum in these cloudy areas with an all electric home, totally off grid. 27kW brought in about 10-20kWh per day these last few days.

Since installing my PV system this summer I have been starting to pay a lot more attention to solar conditions, overall. needless to say, for the past almost 3 weeks now... my 2kw array has produced between ZERO and 0.8kw a day.

the cloud cover has been so thick that at peak production, I'm only getting 100-150watts. less than 10% production.

I would have to run my genset a LOT during December and January should I ever have a grid-down situation.

so, for anyone in Michigan considering a DIY off-grid/battery-based system... grid-assist for charging batteries is absolutely CRUCIAL. I have been importing the 3-4kw a day to keep my batteries charged appropriately. make sure you have a generator for backup charging and know how to connect it safely.

Yup, 12kW array, barely makes 5 or 6 kWh some days. The good news is that this horror show only lasts for about 45-60 days, then the cloudy crap starts to break and we get more sunshine.

So here's how it goes year after year. My 12kW array is capable of producing almost 80kWh in a single "perfectly cool and sunny" day. My home uses about 20 to 25 kWh per day on average.

Starting around the middle of October, the average energy produced by the array is about the same as the average energy consumed by the house. In other words, we are sort of breaking even.
This continues until about the middle of November, at which time the clouds roll in, days get stupidly short, and the array stops producing enough energy to cover the house.

From the middle of November to about the end of January, the house almost always uses more energy than the array makes, and on most days, a lot more.

That stops in February when the array starts to break even with the house again, and by March, the array is well into outproducing the house.

We get a lot of wind during those cloudy short days, I wish I could find a reliable 2kW wind turbine.

We've got two places, one in Saline and one by Gaylord. The Saline home is on grid but I haven't been able to do a test charging on the new power station: We haven't seen the sun in 17 days.

At the Gaylord off grid tiny home, we get 4.5 hours maximium sun because of the mature Oak trees so mister genny is used daily.

I'm going to resurrect this old thread, because I see people reacting to it from searches.

This year, it's even worse. I had ZERO production for 28 days straight in December and January.

I have had a bad December and January for solar out put that is why I keep my battery's at 90% and use the grid. That way when the grid go's down I have the power I need here in Vermont.

That sounds so low. I live in the snowy, cloudy upper peninsula and I have production every day. I'm wondering what you're using for MPPT?
Midnite classic 200. it's fine... I get some production on some days, like 10-80watts, but that's typical and not even remotely usable. Barely enough to charge my phone up, lol.

Today in Michigan…
If I'm lucky I'll have 2kW of production today...

Attachments

• IMG_6257.jpeg
    IMG_6257.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back