diy solar

diy solar

recomendations for uk sources of compression foam?

finyuk

Hi there
as per title, just wondered if anyone knew where to get the foam used between each cell for compression?

Would that be the correct stuff?

Also wondered where to find the insulating sheets to put between cells?

cheers for any info!
Fin

I don't know how much help this is, but I used rigid underlay, sold for laminate flooring. It's pretty stiff with decent compression strength. I had a bunch left over from flooring my kitchen. Two years later my pack seems happy enough.

Hi there
as per title, just wondered if anyone knew where to get the foam used between each cell for compression?

Would that be the correct stuff?

Also wondered where to find the insulating sheets to put between cells?

cheers for any info!
Fin
There are quite a few threads on here about cell compression and insulation. The link you give doesn't state whether the foam is electrically isolating or not. We used perspex between cells and rubber at the ends, but lots of variants out there.

The foam you mention is 3mm wide min, so if you are adding (say) 2mm of perspex as well, those together might be too thick for your busbars - just a thought

This stuff is available in various sheet and roll sizes. Used between cells gives isolation. Use foam only at the end plates of the containment structure not directly against the cells themselves.
Using foam between cells is perhaps not a good idea.
Plastic material, such as perspex, may have a low melting temperature. Perspex deforms over about 75C

Hit up the Dollar Store or Walmart and get some flexible cutting boards. I won't use anything that compresses between my cells.
Unless you have the budget of NASA can you buy _any_ material that doesn't compress?:unsure:?️‍♀️

Unless you have the budget of NASA can you buy _any_ material that doesn't compress?:unsure:?️‍♀️

Given that we aren't cranking down so hard on the compression fixture's fasteners, the flexible cutting boards are just fine.

I currently have no material between my cells. So the flexible cutting board material would serve only as electric isolation.

Back