diy solar

diy solar

Removing MC4 contacts

chz

To fix a mistake, I need to remove the wire and contact from an MC4 housing. Anyone know how to do this / where to find a suitable tool? (The "usual" MC4 tools are fine for unscrewing the cable gland from the connector body, but unless I've missed something they are no help in getting the contact out of the housing.)

The fork part is the release tool, used to push in the tabs on both sides of the MC4.
Depending on your MC4 brand, you may need two different sizes of fork.

Screenshot_20231002-193109.png

The fork part is the release tool, used to push in the tabs on both sides of the MC4.
Depending on your MC4 brand, you may need two different sizes of fork.
That's for getting two coupled MC4's apart. My problem is getting the contact and wire out of the connector housing.

Mine are basically snatch them out kinds when I need to remove the contacts. I loosen the nut on the end of the connector and slide it back on the cable. Then pull the compression plastic piece out with a screw driver or knife backing it along the cable like you did the nut.

I then just pull on the wire and it pops out. It takes a good tug normally but its not that hard on the connectors I use.

Reactions: chz
I looked into this a while ago, having come from electrical engineering in the automotive industry I expected to find some sort of official "depinning" tool like what we use on circular bulkhead connectors.

There's no such thing.

I was pretty shocked and would love to be proven wrong but everything I saw anywhere I looked was "cut it off and start over", which is crazy to me because it would be a pretty simple tool. Something like this:

EWK 3 Pcs Deutsch Terminal Removal Tool Kit 14, 16 & 20 Gauge https://a.co/d/e01for9

Actually one of those would probably work if one could find the right size.

Last edited:
I looked into this a while ago, having come from electrical engineering in the automotive industry I expected to find some sort of official "depinning" tool like what we use on circular bulkhead connectors.

There's no such thing.

I was pretty shocked and would love to be proven wrong but everything I saw anywhere I looked was "cut it off and start over".
I keep a bunch of the connector ends on hand and if I have to redo the end I take it apart like I mentioned above and then cut the crimped on part off and strip and crimp a new connector onto the wire and then reassemble the housing.

Probably seems strange to bother keeping all of this on hand but I use the mc4 connectors for things other than solar so it helps to have parts on hand.

Should work but honestly I haven't had any problems just pulling them out without a tool but I guess there could be ones that won't release that way.

AHA!!!

Well it took some digging through TE's website but I found their version of the MC4 which is called Solarlok, and a little more digging to find their official pin extraction tool:

So I ordered that too and we'll see what work best.

Should work but honestly I haven't had any problems just pulling them out without a tool but I guess there could be ones that won't release that way.

Well there are a few different styles of MC4 terminals, the ones in most familiar with are the ones that have small metal wings that hold the terminal in place...
Screenshot_20231002-222702.png
forcibly pulling the terminal out causes damage to these wings as well as the connector housing itself.

If it works, it works, but it's interesting to figure out what the manufacturer had in mind for doing this "the right way".

I then just pull on the wire and it pops out. It takes a good tug normally but its not that hard on the connectors I use.
I tried it. It worked -- and did not take all that much of a tug. Maybe I hadn't inserted it quite all the way, so the "wings" weren't actually engaged.

The "ears" are not really for holding it in the housing as much as catching on the sleeve that goes goes in before the nut I believe. That's why they come out fairly easily when pulled.

Well that and keeping it centered in the barrel of the housing.

To fix a mistake, I need to remove the wire and contact from an MC4 housing. Anyone know how to do this / where to find a suitable tool? (The "usual" MC4 tools are fine for unscrewing the cable gland from the connector body, but unless I've missed something they are no help in getting the contact out of the housing.)

If you crimped the cable on properly with the tabs , it should hold strong enough to just yank the cable&metal contact right out of the plastic housing

Or use SMA type Sunclix connectors which are non crimp and dismantle with a screwdriver pushed into a slot.

SUNCLIX - easy and safe mounting.jpg

AHA!!!

Well it took some digging through TE's website but I found their version of the MC4 which is called Solarlok, and a little more digging to find their official pin extraction tool:

So I ordered that too and we'll see what work best.

Well there are a few different styles of MC4 terminals, the ones in most familiar with are the ones that have small metal wings that hold the terminal in place...
View attachment 170511
forcibly pulling the terminal out causes damage to these wings as well as the connector housing itself.

If it works, it works, but it's interesting to figure out what the manufacturer had in mind for doing this "the right way".

Those ears look too stiff to be compressed by a tool, and not compliant enough to spring back.
I think the plastic housing deforms elastically to clear them, not he other way around.

But the existence of an extraction tool from TE suggests otherwise.

so I'll let y'all know
Can you let us all know? 😀

While I suspect any of us fooling around cars and boats for forty years ‘have’ forcibly separated one or another connector by brute force I’m sorta averse to yanking stuff apart like that myself LOL

Occasionally when you want to move a cable or whatever you want to disassemble to go through a small hole without refeeding the entire wiring- or crimping on a new end. MC4’s are ‘cheap enough’ but a release tool seems attractive.

Back