diy solar

diy solar

Renogy HiFeq Inverter ????>

Curious about this new inverter as well. Anyone using one yet? Somewhat hesitant to take a chance and probably going to get the Victron 3000W multiplus II. For only $400 more seems like the safe bet.

I started with a full Renogy setup: 2000W inverter, 30A MPPT charge controller, 2x100Ah 12v AGM batteries. It worked, mostly, but over the last two years it has driven me nuts. So nuts to the point that I have now replaced all my Renogy devices and batteries with other things, mostly Victron (except the new LiFePO4 battery is not by Victron, rather by Powerurus). The only thing Renogy I still have is a 2x100W panels folding suitcase, which works well enough.

You can read some of my post history about my complaints about Renogy, but to sum them up:

• Renogy products look good on paper and in person. They have attractive designs, colors and features. I wish more mfr's would take notice of Renogy's eye to creating products that consumers want. But in practice, these designs are only pretty on the outside...inside they are weak, inefficient and overpriced (and the appeal of Renogy is often their price). Yes, overpriced. For sometimes not much more money, you can buy something better.

• Their tech support process is maddening. I recently went through this with my 30A MPPT. They asked for info and photos, I gave it to them and then they asked for it again and/or passed me off to a new rep who wanted to start all over again instead of just reading the support ticket thread which had all the info they needed. What made it really maddening was they are extremely nice and seem willing to help, but the result is they appear quite impotent to actually do anything or capable of listening to what the issue is. How can an issue be fixed if they can't even hear what it is?!

• The 2000W inverter had a high idle draw. We used over 500Wh of battery every day to power the Renogy and now use about 60Wh per day to power a 1000W Victron. If Victron were to build a 2000W inverter, it would be roughly 120Wh per day (on Eco mode). That alone was worth the upgrade.

• At this point, it's unclear as to whether the Renogy 30A charge controller was sending spikes of 16-18v to the battery (a big no no) or if these only happened when the BMS cut off charging or the Renogy app was poorly designed and reporting inaccurate information (I think this is the most likely answer), but at the end of the day, I didn't trust the Renogy controller anymore. I replaced it with a Victron and no longer am seeing these 16-18v spikes.

After renogy was purchased, I've been less and less of a fan of their products.

Who bought them? They certainly seem well funded with loads of new products rolling out.

I don't know who purchased them, but after I got their all in one that was low quality, and seeing that their new renogyx product line up is using megarevo, I lost interest. And a lot of people have now complained about customer service issues. Their support team went overseas after they were purchased.

Also their battery box system is just a all in one and battery strapped in a box. Not very impressive at all. And overpriced.

Back