diy solar

diy solar

Resources for beginners

FilterGuy

Solar Engineering Consultant - EG4 and Consumers
One valuable part of the DIY Solar forum is the Resource Section. This has many valuable links to Papers, Manuals and websites having to do with Solar and Batteries.
https://diysolarforum.com/resources/

A sub-section of the resources is dedicated to resources for beginners that has a series of documents intended to help beginners get up to speed.
https://diysolarforum.com/resources/categories/beginners-resources.10/
Wasn't there a beginners guide for electrical stuff that Will recommended in one of his videos many episodes ago? What was the name of that book?

Thank you for this! I have a newbie question though - if i have 600 watt panels into a grid tied inverter, this means the maximum theoretical power i can generate would be 300 Watts AC (measured RMS) - correct ? But if thats true, why dont i see this point referenced in the ‘sizing your solar system“ type articles ? These typically talk about inverter losses, shade, etc.… but don’t point out that if you want to generate 2kw AC you need 4kw DC pk panels at a minimum…

What am I missing ?

Thank you for this! I have a newbie question though - if i have 600 watt panels into a grid tied inverter, this means the maximum theoretical power i can generate would be 300 Watts AC (measured RMS) - correct ? But if thats true, why dont i see this point referenced in the ‘sizing your solar system“ type articles ? These typically talk about inverter losses, shade, etc.… but don’t point out that if you want to generate 2kw AC you need 4kw DC pk panels at a minimum…

What am I missing ?
Could you please repost this question on one of the other sections of the forum? Perhaps

DIY Solar General Discussion

One valuable part of the DIY Solar forum is the Resource Section. This has many valuable links to Papers, Manuals and websites having to do with Solar and Batteries.

A sub-section of the resources is dedicated to resources for beginners that has a series of documents intended to help beginners get up to speed.
Thanks for the direction, filterguy. It is true that you don't know what you don't know. As much as I have learned over the last 7-8 months, I still find aspects I didn't even know to consider. Class T fuses for example. I had no idea why I needed that type, I see now because of the extremely high AIC rating.

I have a outhouse I want to make solar powered electrical is all very new to me an area of construction I don’t have any experience in but I want to have enough solar power to run electricity for light power a tankless hot water heater the solar panels I have are old ones I have 3 and I don’t know what I need for batteries and stuff to hook it up like can I run all 3 solar panels on one battery or do I need a battery for each solar panel I need enough solar power for a running a bathroom any help would be much appreciated it’s a small outhouse not real big

I'm looking for help to build a battery power bank for my house. I have 200 8000mah 15c 3s1p 11.1v lithium polymer batteries. I was wondering if I could us these to build the battery bank?

I'm looking for help to build a battery power bank for my house. I have 200 8000mah 15c 3s1p 11.1v lithium polymer batteries. I was wondering if I could us these to build the battery bank?
Well, you could. Unless you have a fireproof room to place them in, I personally wouldn't want to live in the house.
There is a reason most people use lithium iron phosphate chemistry, and that reason is fire.

Hello,

I am brand new to solar power. I have purchased land and a cabin in northern Maine and will be setting up an off-grid vacation spot. I want to run all 12v lights and have a few 110ac outlets for charging my laptop and cellphone. Plan to use the cabin in spring, summer and fall and close it up for winter. Still working right now and have 9 years until I retire so I won't be at the cabin a lot right now. The system I bought is the Renogy 400w starter kit, 2000w inverter and DC fuse bus. Is there a resource here that can show me the best way to run the 12v wiring? I would like to incorporate switches into this 12v setup. I have wired plenty of 110ac at my house and am comfortable with it. Simple lights and outlets. I am not an electrician. I also want to be able to use my generator on the cloudy days and don't want to have to disconnect everything in order to charge the 100ah Battleborn battery I have.

Any advice would be welcome.

Hello , I have a Lipo 10s , 36 volt battery from BatteryHookup and am trying to install a bms and charger. I think I have the leads from the bms correctly wired to the posts on the battery, 1 black ground and then 10 wires ending with the red +. Is there a way to test that I did it correctly ? Thxs

Hello , I have a Lipo 10s , 36 volt battery from BatteryHookup and am trying to install a bms and charger. I think I have the leads from the bms correctly wired to the posts on the battery, 1 black ground and then 10 wires ending with the red +. Is there a way to test that I did it correctly ? Thxs
Please start a new thread with this question.

Hi, I'd like to figure out what I need.

In general I would like a complete system that powers my entire house (1,400 SF) and batteries to be there for my medical equipment, refrigerator, lights, etc.

But I at least need a generator (maybe a panel or 2) that I could use to charge my power wheelchair and CPAP and I would like, if possible, to have the panels on the roof with cables or wires coming into the house recharging the generator(s), as I am in a wheelchair I can't physically move the generator(s) outside to a solar panel, or maybe just connected directly to the outlets for my power wheelchair recharger and a second outlet my CPAP plugs into.

But as I mentioned above I'd like to get a complete home solar power system that would be there for my entire house.

Any advice or a good resource I could look at? Everything I look at online give no related information, it just gives me the option for them to come out and give me an estimate.

Thanks, Mike

In general I would like a complete system that powers my entire house (1,400 SF) and batteries to be there for my medical equipment, refrigerator, lights, etc.

But I at least need a generator (maybe a panel or 2) that I could use to charge my power wheelchair and CPAP and I would like, if possible, to have the panels on the roof with cables or wires coming into the house recharging the generator(s), as I am in a wheelchair I can't physically move the generator(s) outside to a solar panel, or maybe just connected directly to the outlets for my power wheelchair recharger and a second outlet my CPAP plugs into.
The above doesn't make sense to me. Solar panels don't charge a generator and a generator doesn't charge solar panels. Solar panels feed a charge controller that regulates current into a battery for storage and use. A generator does the same but not using the same charge controller.

What kind of "generator" are you thinking of? What type of fuel does it use? How will fuel be added?

There is more that you are confusing. But first do an energy audit, which is just a list of EVERYTHING that will use electricity and EXACTLY how much power it uses in watts or amps and at what voltage and how long the appliance will be used, minutes to hours up to 24 hours. A Killowat type meter from say Amazon, can be purchased for $25-50 for actual per appliance monitoring, though that will take time to run one device at a time but is the most accurate.

Or, every appliance will have their maximum rating on a label somewhere on the appliance, or tool, or battery. List everything and then one can advise you on what is required or possible and a rough cost, though maybe without labour?
But as I mentioned above I'd like to get a complete home solar power system that would be there for my entire house.

Any advice or a good resource I could look at? Everything I look at online give no related information, it just gives me the option for them to come out and give me an estimate.

Thanks, Mike
Mike when you post your energy audit, then someone can help you more. Info on how to create an energy audit is in the resources section. Otherwise it's just inaccurate guesswork.

Thanks, Mike
I suggest you start a new thread in the beginner area, you will find lots of (often conflicting) advice. The first step is an energy audit.

Back