diy solar

diy solar

Rock solid, no bells, 48 volt inverter

Is there an equivalent victron product that gives me 48/240 in this price range. I don’t see it. As far as I can tell, the Mulitplus 2 will not provide 240 unless fed by 240. This seems unfortunate.
Some have reported success pairing a 230v/50hz european quattro/Multiplus with Victron’s autotransformer, yielding US style split phase 120+120. I believe the adjustment to 60hz, 240v only involves a software tweak.

It might be worth reaching out to Victron or a competent dealer (alte, naws, etc) to determine if this is a supported configuration.

(nb - I’m quite happy with my Victron MPPT,shunt,etc but don’t own any of their larger systems)

Samlex just came out with a new model, the 4248, which is a 4200 watt 48 volt inverter, 120/240 split phase out. They're top quality products, I have been running two of their 24 volt models and love them. I have one on the way and will be converting my 4 x 15 kWh 24 volt batteries to a single 48 volt 1200 amp hour system with the new unit.

No Victron product offers split phase output. Only 120VAC (North America) or 230VAC (EU). The only way you get split phase with Victron is:

1) multiple inverters operating in parallel. directly outputting 120/240V with one inverter providing power to each leg.
2) 230VAC unit reconfig to 240V/60Hz feeding an autotransformer to provide 120/240VAC split phase.

Even the unit you linked is only 120VAC. It just has built-in features to simplify powering a 50A RV and allow for the flexibility of powering via 30A w/o any change in configuration.

Lastly, very few Victron are UL 1741 listed, so use under NEC compliance is sketchy and depends on your AHJ.

No Victron product offers split phase output. Only 120VAC (North America) or 230VAC (EU). The only way you get split phase with Victron is:

1) multiple inverters operating in parallel. directly outputting 120/240V with one inverter providing power to each leg.
2) 230VAC unit reconfig to 240V/60Hz feeding an autotransformer to provide 120/240VAC split phase.

Even the unit you linked is only 120VAC. It just has built-in features to simplify powering a 50A RV and allow for the flexibility of powering via 30A w/o any change in configuration.

Lastly, very few Victron are UL 1741 listed, so use under NEC compliance is sketchy and depends on your AHJ.
This is the exact reason all my equipment is Victron other then my inverter. It’s a Magnum and at this point I wouldn’t recommend a Magnum to anyone. Broke on day one and can’t get it repaired.

I live in San Antonio where the high so far this year (that ive noticed from checking my phone, not official by any means) is 108F and heat index 111F. I’m living off grid with no grid connection whatsoever in a ~900sqft structure with very unimpressive insulation and ZERO shade on the structure after about 8am. I can tell you that i am using about 3kw running window units to keep this structure comfortable in these conditions during the heat of the day, roughly 10-6. From 6-10pm i am compromising my comfort desires a bit and curbing my ac ‘consumption’ down to 1000-1500w which doesnt keep the whole house cool. From 10pm to 8am i run only one 8000btu midea inverter window unit in a bedroom which averages <250w on lowest settings set to 73f in a ~160sqft room, and that time is covered by batteries.

So my ac power draw ranges from 250w for 160sqft overnight to 3000w for 900sqft during the day.

I also have a 20x25 metal building with firberglass insulation (not sure R value), and a 12x12 uninsulated poorly sealed roll up door. I can keep that cool with 2000w during the day.

In my opinion, if you insulate a 25x25 well and buy an efficient mini split, you can probably cool it with 1000w or less continuous during the hottest part of the day, and at night your power draw for cooling should be no real issue even with smallish battery. I would encourage you to go 240 on the mini split because it’s more efficient and the wiring is cheaper. All my numbers would be better with mini splits but the fact that everything already ‘works’ on free power and paid-for batteries is undercutting my motivation to improve. ?

Im sure someone would rather i express all this in kwh but i rarely look at it. I put a power meter on the old 5000btu window unit i used to have in my room before i went off grid, and once i found out it was using <2 kwh overnight, i said ‘oh, no big deal then because i can easily cover that with batteries, my next ac unit will be more efficient, and my 10kw array will cover everything during the day’ and stopped really tracking any kwh and since then im just ‘spot checking’ the wattage on my inverter screens.

Howdy neighbor. Your numbers are in line with mine. I am going to insulate the carp out of the place. R49 in the ceilings. And I’ve got foam polyiso foil reflective on all the plywood (with an air gap). I figured a good mini-split running 24/7 will keep me cool with 1000 watts/hour. This is a max. May come in lower overnight.

I was just watching videos on how to install a split system diy. It’s a pain not doable.

Hang in there. August is going to be rough.

Neither. My only debt is my home. Staying out of unnecessary debt can make one feel "rich" even when they're not. :)
Did without the unnecessary stuff. Debt free since 38. If you are in debt, 25%-50% of your income can go to interest. Plus you can never have just liability insurance, so there is another 50% more for insurance. Then you set goals, save money faster for what you want. It is all about self control.

In that price range you are going to get a medium grade inverter. I thought you were looking at something bulletproof hence the latronics recommendation.

You need to work out if you want bulletproof - or cheap.

Why are they mostly charger/inverters (aka converters/inverters)? And does it matter?

Any suggestions?
Yeh Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM, stack as many as you need (upto 6) , supports real 240v split phase with 2 units. Unmatched for performance/price in terms of having everything you need for solar in one box. Gone are the days of needing to patch together a bunch of oddball equipment that claims to be best in class. You cant touch the performance for the price.

IF your going to consider import inverters, then you cant overlook the AIO.

Stackable AIO's are simple to install and provide redundancy. For a very affordable price.

At least for backfeeding grid, UL-1741 is not longer sufficient in many locations, needs to be UL-1741-SA.
Is UL-1741 applicable to zero-backfeed inverters, either adding inverter power synchronized to grid only for downstream loads, or backfed into the house but not the grid by means of CT?

Does UL-1741 cover anything else needed for inverters beyond interacting with grid and putting power on the same wires?
I would think a UPS, whether with transfer relay or double-conversion, would not need UL-1741

I believe the AHJ likes to see listed equipment, without it, one may have trouble with a home owners insurance claim.

This is the exact reason all my equipment is Victron other then my inverter. It’s a Magnum and at this point I wouldn’t recommend a Magnum to anyone. Broke on day one and can’t get it repaired.
Who did you buy your magnum from? I have a non-working MS2024 and Magnum didn't respond when I tried to contact them about seeking a repair.

I also emailed NAWS to tell them they're selling an unsupported product. There are clearly other people who bought magnum based on a myth that it's reliable here.

Back