diy solar

diy solar

Rosen 48 volt 200amp/hr loosing Amp/hrs and SOC dropping each day

BTW: Getting the system set up with proper settings should take care of the over-voltage problem. However, I do not know if it will take care of the problem with loosing SOC or not (My guess is it will). Once we have the OV error taken care of we can investigate the SOC problem if it persists.

Big thanks going to do the changes tomorrow morning. Will let you know. When you posted

"Since the max charge voltage is 54.75V, we should set the inverter to something slightly less than that.
In my previous post I said 53.25.... but lets bump that up to 53.75."

I am thinking that is program 19 correct? CV charging voltage.

Big thanks going to do the changes tomorrow morning. Will let you know. When you posted

"Since the max charge voltage is 54.75V, we should set the inverter to something slightly less than that.
In my previous post I said 53.25.... but lets bump that up to 53.75."

I am thinking that is program 19 correct? CV charging voltage.
Correct. Program 19.

Let us know how it all works out.

Here is some bonus info I posted in a different thread:

The Growatt inverter (and a few others) use a 7 segment numeric display for both letters and numbers. The result is that for some letters they had to get very creative. Most of the letters are easy to read, but a few of them took me a bit to figure out:

1647916294962.png

In addition, some of their acronyms baffled me for a while. This is what I came up with for the translations:

1647916342885.png

1635702262492.png

1635702296824.png

Correct. Program 19.

Let us know how it all works out.
Good day but bad day. I disconnected the BMS and communication cables to Bat 1 and Bat 2. I did all the reprograming on the inverter. The only one I couldn't change the value is program 20 the Float Charge can only be set to 53v not 45v as you suggested. I even tried switching in program 14 from SNU to OSO.
So here is what happened when I fired everything up. All was going well until 11am the OV came back on and the charging from the inverter stopped to the batteries. Not sure if this makes sense but in the old configuration it was always 11am when the OV warning came on. Hmmm
The first 3 pictures are at 10am when all is charging good. No OV warning. The lower 4 are when the OV comes.

DSCF1476.JPGDSCF1475.JPG

DSCF1474.JPG

This is at 11am and of the OV coming on and no charging from the inverter at all. Still not charging and it is 1pm.

DSCF1481.JPGDSCF1480.JPGDSCF1471.JPGDSCF1470.JPG

OK..... Something is very strange.
The specs say
1647976245968.png

But if I am following the pics correctly, the battery is getting on Overvoltage warning at 52.75V.

I would normally say that the battery either needs to be top balanced or has a bad cell, but why would both batteries fault out at the same time?
Do the batteries have a comms connection? Is it possible that one of them is faulting and both go into fault mode?

Do you have a link to the battery manual?

1) Are the batteries communicating with each other? If so, can that be disconnected?
2) Are any of the battery settings configurable?
3) Would it be possible to disconnect one of the batteries and see what happens.... and they switch to the other one and see what happens?

OK..... Something is very strange.
The specs say
View attachment 88321

But if I am following the pics correctly, the battery is getting on Overvoltage warning at 52.75V.

I would normally say that the battery either needs to be top balanced or has a bad cell, but why would both batteries fault out at the same time?
Do the batteries have a comms connection? Is it possible that one of them is faulting and both go into fault mode?

Do you have a link to the battery manual?
Yes the batteries are hooked together. Cables from inverter to Bat 1 and then from Bat 1 to Bat 2. I am thinking maybe you might have something with the bad battery thing.
DSCF1454.JPG

1) Are the batteries communicating with each other? If so, can that be disconnected?
2) Are any of the battery settings configurable?
3) Would it be possible to disconnect one of the batteries and see what happens.... and they switch to the other one and see what happens?
Yes the batteries are BMS cable to Bat 1 and then another communication cable to Bat 2 via RS485 ports. The batteries can be set only by hooking up to a lap top and using a program. The tech from Rosen set up Bat 2 but Bat 1 would not communicate and he says he would get back to me.
I think what I will do is disconnect Bat 2 and hook up just Bat 1. See what happens and then if still a problem hook up Bat 2 only. Sound like a good plan?

Yes the batteries are BMS cable to Bat 1 and then another communication cable to Bat 2 via RS485 ports.
Did you have to configure anything when you hooked it up or did it just automagically work? It would be interesting to disconnect the RS485 and see what happens....

Did you have to configure anything when you hooked it up or did it just automagically work? It would be interesting to disconnect the RS485 and see what happens....
I have just Bat 1 hooked up now with your programming and no BMS cables. I still have the OV warning so turned off my solar and gonna drag the battery down till the OV warning goes off. Then turn on the solar and see what happens. If it OV comes on again I will do the same with Bat 2 solo hook up.
If that doesn't work then will go back to the factory set up with BMS cables and the programming but just on 1 battery at a time. Will keep you all posted on the progress.

I have just Bat 1 hooked up now with your programming and no BMS cables. I still have the OV warning so turned off my solar and gonna drag the battery down till the OV warning goes off. Then turn on the solar and see what happens. If it OV comes on again I will do the same with Bat 2 solo hook up.
If that doesn't work then will go back to the factory set up with BMS cables and the programming but just on 1 battery at a time. Will keep you all posted on the progress.

Sounds like a good plan!!!

Well the plan backfired on me. I hooked up bat 2 with no BMS cable and left the programing where we put it. I had the solar off till the OV went off and the battery went down to 50.5 volts. OV went off and I turned on my solar. All going good with charging and then a loud bang came out of the inverter. I guess it blew up as no lights on it. The battery turned itself off also.
Shut everything down and said a word or two. I turned on Bat 2 without anything hooked up to it and amazing it says 199.98 amp/hrs and 98% SOC. What the chuck I said. Anyway let things sit and the inverter is now I think done.
Got any ideas what blew up in the inverter for me.

Back