diy solar

diy solar

Run charge converter to bus bar or direct to battery?

Isn’t something like the scc’s fuse protecting that device itself, leaving the wire to it from the busbar vulnerable?
Yes, but 10 or 20 inches of wire that’s 200 or 300% oversized…I’m unconcerned. If there’s an issue the wire isn’t going to have the chance to fail.

Not sure if I'm asking this the right way but if the SCC is connected to the busbar along with the battery and devices, how does the SCC differentiate between the battery and devices in terms of knowing when to send power to the battery or not?

Not sure if I'm asking this the right way but if the SCC is connected to the busbar along with the battery and devices, how does the SCC differentiate between the battery and devices in terms of knowing when to send power to the battery or not?

Usually, it doesn't. The loads have a lower resistance, so they get access to the current before the battery does. My Victron solar charge controllers have access to a voltage sensor directly on the battery, so they can see what the actual voltage at the battery is and may choose to throttle back the current to only what the loads need when the battery is full.

Usually, it doesn't. The loads have a lower resistance, so they get access to the current before the battery does. My Victron solar charge controllers have access to a voltage sensor directly on the battery, so they can see what the actual voltage at the battery is and may choose to throttle back the current to only what the loads need when the battery is full.

So without a voltage sensor or anything is there a problem with this in terms of the SCC continuing to send charge to the battery even though the battery may be full? I'm wondering about how the SCC controls charge to the battery when there are other devices in the mix.

if the SCC is connected to the busbar along with the battery and devices, how does the SCC differentiate between the battery and devices in terms of knowing when to send power to the battery or not
Neither the battery nor the loads have ANY idea each other exists anyway. The SCCs that most people use merely sense a sum voltage and produce charging current at whatever is appropriate to the settings. Even the victron can only ‘see’ summed voltage in the end: current goes to the bat(+) and bat(-) regardless. Electrons have no concept of ‘intent.’

So without a voltage sensor or anything is there a problem with this in terms of the SCC continuing to send charge to the battery even though the battery may be full? I'm wondering about how the SCC controls charge to the battery when there are other devices in the mix.

I'm not aware of anything you can add. The BMS will end up protecting the battery once it determines that the voltage has exceeded the High Voltage threshold.

Merely by voltage and kWh programming, and settings. To the SCC it’s all one big load and your SCC controls where/how high to push the voltage.

Back