diy solar

diy solar

Running booster pump 24/7 Questions before I make an order

For the two T's and 2 hoses, I should use the same metal as everything else correct? I don't want to mix and match plastic with metal etc.
So I should look for some Brass T's

Before I replaced my booster pump, I believe I had a well pump. For some reason the water would still run through the well pump even without power, I just wouldn't have great water pressure, but I could still flush toilets and the water pressure wasn't that bad. Ideally I would like to have a setup like this, but I have no idea how to achieve it. The well pump wasn't ideal either because it would turn on when the pressure got low and build the pressure back up, then turn on when low and then build the pressure backup. The booster pumps keeps the water flow constant. Is there a way to make the booster pump have water run through it but not get the "boost" when I lose power? That would be ideal.
They make check values. Generally, sump pumps use a check value to make sure the water won't drain back into the sump. Just get a decent one with a solid check value design. The cheap ones have little rubber flaps that won't be adequate.

yea he already has a drawing for it

putting a check valve there will make it so he doesn't have to do it manually
only costs extra $30

Yeah. TLDR I guess Im a little lost. Is the tank on the top floor or something?

He said he could flush toilets when the pump was off.

I would have assumed his pressure tank is what was allowing that if that the tank is on the same floor as the toilets.

Everything is on the same floor, 3rd floor, I believe that my cistern is what is creating the downward pressure to be able to do this. It is about 7 feet tall and it fills from the top from the city water line. So the cistern is always getting city water as long as the city doesn't turn the water off. At the base of the cistern is where my pump is and where I will install my bypass line. The 7feet of water I assume creates a decent amount of PSI to feed to the house.

I would say I get about 20% flow rate maybe even 25% flow rate without power, adding the booster gave me 100% flow rate. After adding the booster during a power outage I would get no water, so thanks to this form, I now know what I need to order to bypass this during a power outage.

I would say I get about 20% flow rate maybe even 25% flow rate without power, adding the booster gave me 100% flow rate. After adding the booster during a power outage I would get no water, so thanks to this form, I now know what I need to order to bypass this during a power outage.

Sorry I was late to the party. So you had no pump before and it worked ok but performance was just low. 7 feet equals about 3 PSI at the bottom of the tank.

I had a well pump before, it burnt out. When I had the well pump during a power outage the water would still flow through it. After I replaced the well pump with this booster pump, when I have a power outage my water completely stops.
So I was looking for a solution to where I could still have water flow through the booster pump when the power goes out. We have found the answer to be installing a bypass with T's and putting a low pressure check valve on it.

So, I am late to the party, but don't the make a normally open water solenoid so it takes power to keep it closed? Wired up in a bypass configuration you would have gravity pressure when power was off and pump pressure when power was on. All automatic.

I know they make many zwave valves you can control from a RPi and have it send signals to open such a valve. A little battery with a trickle charger to power it, or a backup battery wired to it, they make hats for that.

Doesn't do anything about power for the rest, but seems simple for just the water and only short outages.

I know this isn't a plumbing forum and I am amazed by the help I received. I was originally looking for an inverter and battery, but people helped me with a better solution.

Having gravity pressure is fine with me, it was enough pressure to flush the toilets, and do basic things, such as the shower would work at 25% vs 100% flow. I am fine with that.

I can't live without any water as I will have airbnb guests at my place. So I just need a system that will allow water to flow from the cistern to my apartment during power outages, they can last from a few minutes to a day.

Having gravity pressure is fine with me, it was enough pressure to flush the toilets, and do basic things, such as the shower would work at 25% vs 100% flow. I am fine with that.

I can't live without any water as I will have airbnb guests at my place. So I just need a system that will allow water to flow from the cistern to my apartment during power outages, they can last from a few minutes to a day.

Shower?

The line from street must be applying some pressure to the cistern tank.

wow prices are all over the place,

Gotcha!

I will do this and be done with it!

All you need is 2 tees, 2 hoses, that grainger check valve above
should be like $60 total or whatever

thanks again! Saved me a lot of money trying to buy an inverter and battery and this will be a much better solution!

yep good luck. If you ever need more pressure when the power outage is gone just make your tank taller lol

I don't think it is, the city line has to go up to my third story apartment. There the water fills up my cistern and has a ball valve, it shuts off when the cistern is topped off. So all the city water is doing is filling my cistern. I think it is the downward pressure from the cistern that is giving me water pressure during a power outage.

For the two T's and 2 hoses, I should use the same metal as everything else correct? I don't want to mix and match plastic with metal etc.
So I should look for some Brass T's
usually yea, but you have PVC + filter up above the tank so you already got a mix
They make check values. Generally, sump pumps use a check value to make sure the water won't drain back into the sump. Just get a decent one with a solid check value design. The cheap ones have little rubber flaps that won't be adequate.

watch out for these, no cracking pressure psi rating. I'd just get the one I already linked at 0.5psi

Shower?

The line from street must be applying some pressure to the cistern tank.
look up what a cistern is, it isn't even pressurized from the pics I see. It's literally an open tank lol
generally I'd say yea hook directly up to the water line.. and use an accumulator tank to keep it pressured

Sorry I was late to the party. So you had no pump before and it worked ok but performance was just low. 7 feet equals about 3 PSI at the bottom of the tank.
his pump before probably was easier to turn and it probably had no check valve on it
the regular brass check valves he has are probably 4.5+ psi to crack them open which means he needs 10.35 feet of water height in order just to barely open the check valve. Thus it isn't flowing

by using a better check valve and a bypass, he can avoid the pump and the harder to open valve entirely. So the water will have better flow

I don't think it is, the city line has to go up to my third story apartment. There the water fills up my cistern and has a ball valve, it shuts off when the cistern is topped off. So all the city water is doing is filling my cistern. I think it is the downward pressure from the cistern that is giving me water pressure during a power outage.
Fly me out there and feed me and I'll hook it up directly to that line feeding the cistern and put an accumulator tank so it keeps pressure lmao

look up what a cistern is, it isn't even pressurized from the pics I see. It's literally an open tank lol
generally I'd say yea hook directly up to the water line.. and use an accumulator tank to keep it pressured
Shower head is at 60" height. If tank is 7, that's like 1 PSI he's showering at.

I guess that would work? Sheesh though.

OP, do you give discounts to customers who can't wash the soap out of their butt crack?

Shower head is at 60" height. If tank is 7, that's like 1 PSI he's showering at.

I guess that would work? Sheesh though.

OP, do you give discounts to customers who can't wash the soap out of their butt crack?
He's gonna get like nothing out of the shower, as far as he said he just wants to be able to flush toilets and such when power is out lol

Perhaps. That would be really counter-productive to have a pressure tank and no check valve.
he had a tank? as far as I saw the pump just ran when you opened a tap / shower and shut off when it wasn't

He's gonna get like nothing out of the shower, as far as he said he just wants to be able to flush toilets and such when power is out lol

I'm just curious how the shower worked with only 2 feet of head pressure. If the cistern is open, what keeps it from overfilling if he forgets to shut the city inlet off?

LOL hey man that trickle of water is pretty good for a lot of countries. Many places you're still using a bucket of water and a sponge outside

I'm just curious how the shower worked with only 2 feet of head pressure. If the cistern is open, what keeps it from overfilling if he forgets to shut the city inlet off?
must be some check valve
I am as confused as you, that's why originally I wanted him to plug the pump to a hose and just turn the hose on and see if the pump let water through
because if it is a diaphragm pump or some static pressure thing it isn't gonna turn

It's hard to diagnose, he isn't even there and he doesn't know the plumbing at all from what it seems

Back