diy solar

diy solar

rv drop in replacement battery

shauncornish

rv drop in replacement battery, I have been trolling LiFePO4 battery youtube and forums for about a year. I'm old and on a fixed income so bear with me please. I'm looking for some LiFePO4 batteries that will fit my slide out battery tray in my class C and can be removed to extend the usable time of my bluetti EB70 encase of a power outage. Thing of a weize 12v 100ah Will Prowse did a tear down and liked it so with 2 I could run my CPAP and a little entertainment for and recharge with a generator or solar when I get to it. maybe some recommendations or some information that may help
Thank you in advance
Shaun

If your consumption is under 200Ah then those batteries will work. Most off-the-shelf batteries are sized to fit where a lead acid battery did. But it's always good to check the dimensions. If you camp in temperatures under 32°F you'll have to be careful to not charge. LiFePO4 doesn't like to be charged under 32 °F.

To avoid buying not enough battery, consider doing a power audit. Below is a link to spreadsheet in the Resources section of the forum that will help you with the audit.

thank you for your reply HRTKD, I went with the weize 100 AH x 2 they have low temp charging protection per Will Prowse video. $330/per and a perfect fit just need to change out my converter not to bad another $250. I'm at just under a grand. Could I bother you with one more question ? I have an auxiliary battery start on my class C if the engine battery is low or dead do you think there would be a problem using it with the LiFepo ? again thanks maybe we'll see you on the road

Shaun

I thought the problem with slipping a lithium battery into an RV was that the built-in sketchy RV charging system will not charge the lithium correctly.

Blue dog you were correct ! sizes are all over the place. but the weize were the correct size for the battery slide in my class C.
I have a spot that I could put a 1000 Amp hour's of batteries in but not cost effective, I don't need it and don't want to rewire that much and i'm older and it would out live me and the RV.
Yes it was the RV house converter. I have a new one coming that will do LiFePO looks like an hour of work at most.
But the question came into my head about the auxiliary battery start. I under stand that this is a solar forum but "dang" where else would you ask this question.
sorry if this sounds harsh don't mean it that way just explaining my thought's r
thank for your reply and would be grateful for any thoughts on the other question
Thanks
Shaun
PS (edit) looks like the bms will only support 300 amps for 3 sec. so at 600+ cold cranking amps for my chevy im
not holding out much hope.

Last edited:
I have an auxiliary battery start on my class C if the engine battery is low or dead do you think there would be a problem using it with the LiFepo ? again thanks maybe we'll see you on the road

A direct connection between the two may not be good. A starter can draw way more amps than the BMS is rated for.

If you were to put in a DC-DC charger from the LiFePO4 to the starter battery to keep the starter battery charged, that's OK. But you're going to want a charge source (solar, shore power, generator) that the DC-DC charger can make use of.

Back