diy solar

diy solar

RV setup

I do have a 12v battery up near the generator.
For a test.
With the RV not plugged into shore power, the generator not running and the 7pin connector not plugged in, see if any of the 12 volt dc circuits in the ac/dc distribution panel work.
That will tell us if the 12 volt battery is part of the house system.
It may just power the trailer breakaway system.

Since the converter is on a 20A breaker I suspect its a high amperage unit.
To find out the exact ampacity of the converter probably requires removing the ac/dc distribution panel cover to inspect the converter.

Last edited:
I don't see fuses for the slides and jacks.
i don’t have Jacks on my travel trailer but I do have slides and they are not fused at the panel but have a separate self resetting breaker that connects directly to the house battery.

For a test.
With the RV not plugged into shore power, the generator not running and the 7pin connector not plugged in, see if any of the 12 volt dc circuits in the ac/dc distribution panel work.
That will tell us if the 12 volt battery is part of the house system.
It may just power the trailer breakaway system.

Since the converter is on a 20A breaker I suspect its a high amperage unit.
To find out the exact ampacity of the converter probably requires moving the ac/dc distribution panel cover to inspect the converter.
I’ll do the test to confirm, but when not plugged in, the max air fans, the jacks, the slides, the fridge, and some of the lights will operate.

I’ll do the test to confirm, but when not plugged in, the max air fans, the jacks, the slides, the fridge, and some of the lights will operate.
You don't mention the generator.
Could it have been providing power?

Do they run when the converter breaker is off?

Can someone with good eyesight confirm that the ac distribution panel has a 50amp double pole master breaker?

I am not familiar with load management, so that is throwing me off on this one. I wonder if it monitors the generator output with a hall effect sensor as mentioned and only regulates the load while on the genset. If it does load sharing all the time, how does it manage the split phase of the 50A shore power input?

I am still leaning towards inserting the inverter/charge on the 50A shore power input. But do they make a split phase AIO?

I guess if you put the AIO on the generator side, the load share can help manage that. But things might get weird if you have a load sharing AIO working with the genset and then have another load management system on top of that.

i don’t have Jacks on my travel trailer but I do have slides and they are not fused at the panel but have a separate self resetting breaker that connects directly to the house battery.
Mine is the same. Motor loads do not run through the power center. They have their own 30A auto reset breakers in various places, although I consolidated them all to one spot.

DC wiring 290RL rev 1 motor loads.jpg

I am not familiar with load management, so that is throwing me off on this one. I wonder if it monitors the generator output with a hall effect sensor as mentioned and only regulates the load while on the genset. If it does load sharing all the time, how does it manage the split phase of the 50A shore power input?

I am still leaning towards inserting the inverter/charge on the 50A shore power input. But do they make a split phase AIO?

I guess if you put the AIO on the generator side, the load share can help manage that. But things might get weird if you have a load sharing AIO working with the genset and then have another load management system on top of that.
I know that some do if you wire multiple units together. The AIO I’m looking at from signature solar doesn’t say, so I emailed asking if it allowed 50a pass through or power sharing and the response was they would send it up to the design department.

I know that some do if you wire multiple units together. The AIO I’m looking at from signature solar doesn’t say, so I emailed asking if it allowed 50a pass through or power sharing and the response was they would send it up to the design department.
AFAIK the only inverter/charger that supports power sharing is Victron.
I sincerely doubt that Signature solar will be able to add this feature to their AIO.
I would hold off on AIO shopping until we have determined your load characteristics.

AFAIK the only inverter/charger that supports power sharing is Victron.
I sincerely doubt that Signature solar will be able to add this feature to their AIO.
I would hold off on AIO shopping until we have determined your load characteristics.
Copy that. I had already started shopping when inrealized I was getting in over my head and came here.

Yes, the gen will power the entire rv.

Here’s the load management. I’ll have to get the gen and ats
That tells me that you can live with less than or equal to 5500 watts 120VAC.
Probably in the range of ~3600 watts continuous.

Back