diy solar

diy solar

Sanity Check Requested - Wiring Honda 7000 generator into Quattro 48/15000

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
We have a Honda 7000 generator (North American) that puts out 120/240 with a 4 prong connection. I assume that is putting out two hots of 120V to make the 240V. From what I understand this generator is not grounded if that matters to this scenario. And I"ll set the Quattro Hz to the North American standard so that won't be an issue.

gen1.jpeg

gen2.png

The Quattro AC in requires 187-265V and only has a N, G, and a single L for the wiring.

quattro.jpg

AC1_in.jpg

I have a cable that will plug into the four prong outlet of the Honda 7000's 120/240 output. That will give me four wires to connect to the Quattro (N, G, L1, L2).

cable.jpg

But, of course, the Quattro only takes one live.

The solution that has been offered to me elsewhere is to wire one of the hot wires into the Quattro's L, the other hot wire into the Quattro's N, connect the ground, and then not use the cable's neutral wire (just cap that wire).

Does this pass the smell test? Many thanks for the sanity check before I wire this thing up in the coming weeks...

Yes/no.

The only place to get 240V on the generator is between black and red.

Do not connect the ground. Period.

Remember all split phase power is center tapped where EU is not. Your N-G bond is 230/240V from L. If you share a ground between the single phase unit and the split phase source, shit goes sideways.

Yes/no.

The only place to get 240V on the generator is between black and red.

Do not connect the ground. Period.

Remember all split phase power is center tapped where EU is not. Your N-G bond is 230/240V from L. If you share a ground between the single phase unit and the split phase source, shit goes sideways.

So even though the Honda 7000 is not grounded, the only two wires that should connect the Quattro and Honda 7000 are the two hots? That's the first I've heard of that. I've heard that if the Honda is grounded (it's not) that the ground must be removed in it before hooking it up. But I haven't heard not to connect the ground.

From a little light reading I've done on the neutral, it appears that so long as the Quattro is a pure 240V load (which I believe it is) then a neutral wire isn't needed. So that's reassuring.

So even though the Honda 7000 is not grounded, the only two wires that should connect the Quattro and Honda 7000 are the two hots? That's the first I've heard of that. I've heard that if the Honda is grounded (it's not) that the ground must be removed in it before hooking it up. But I haven't heard not to connect the ground.

From a little light reading I've done on the neutral, it appears that so long as the Quattro is a pure 240V load (which I believe it is) then a neutral wire isn't needed. So that's reassuring.

Dude.

There is nothing in common about EU power and split phase power. Period.

Where is the ground on a split phase system? It's between the two 120V legs with the neutral.

Where is the ground on a single phase EU system? Its bonded to N @ 0V, 230V from the hot.

Does it sound like a good idea to stick a wire that's at 120V potential to each to to a wire that's 230V from the hot????

More homework.

Dude.

There is nothing in common about EU power and split phase power. Period.

Where is the ground on a split phase system? It's between the two 120V legs with the neutral.

Where is the ground on a single phase EU system? Its bonded to N @ 0V, 230V from the hot.

Does it sound like a good idea to stick a wire that's at 120V potential to each to to a wire that's 230V from the hot????

More homework.

So any issues with connecting just the two hots to the L and N of the Quattro and capping/insulating and not using the ground and neutral cables with the generator being ungrounded?

Let me state it this way:

120/240V to 230V single phase
L1 = N
L2 = L
N = NEVER use
G = NEVER use

This is why you need the AT. It center taps the 240V transformer to provide the 120/240VAC split phase N and G.

1686003764704.png

and make sure the ground relay on the Quattro is DISABLED unless you want a shock from the quattro case
because “neutral” isn’t neutral, and you surely don‘t want it bonded to chassis ground, ever

Last edited:
Back