diy solar

diy solar

Schematic/diagram/drawing tools for Solar

That is most likely an embedded png image.
I tested it. The recipient gets a full blown editable drawing, not an image. The URLs work. The issue is pasting them into the forum or TinyURL, as they do processing on all URLs, and choke in that process. As for what's in the URLs? A friend of mine and I were joking that it probably contains the entire diagram. lol

Also, if you save to a Google drive, and open that from another computer, you can work on the same drawing from both computers. If I add an item on one computer, a few seconds later, I see it show up on the other computer. Not as fast as normal Google Docs, but it does have some of the behavior opening the door to possible real-time collaboration. My guess is it polls for changes. Also, it will henceforth show up as a normal Google Drive option, so you can create and open drawings from there.

I haven't tested other cloud storage options to see how they handle concurrency and sharing.

I know I've seen diagram/charting type tools that allow you to drag the components around and the lines (wires in this case) between the components will automatically rearrange themselves and adjust accordingly while maintaining their relationship to the objects they are attached to, anyone aware of a drawing tool that has this capability?

Last edited:
Visio.
I know I've seen diagram/charting type tools that allow you to drag the components around and the lines (wires in this case) between the components will automatically rearrange themselves and adjust accordingly while maintaining their relationship to the objects they are attached to, anyone aware of a drawing tool that has this capability?
Visio.

Reactions: Dzl
Just for different battery arrangements. I cut some 1.25" X 3.00" strips of paper with a red plus and black minus on them.
I can lay them out and try different ways of putting a group of cells together and have a reference of the size.
It wouldn't surprise me if someone posted a link where you could do this online.
The other day someone asked about a 2P4S battery and I had to draw it out on some paper and post a picture of it.
Sometimes it comes down to, where do you want the 2 main terminals to end up in your layout.

@Sgt Raven, LOL! This is exactly what I did when I designed my caravan's PV layout! I tried using diagrams at first but got myself confused because of all the windows, skylights, door fasteners etc. So I took a photo of the left and right sides and roof and printed them out, together with some appropriately dimensioned paper rectangles representing my 10 panels. I then played 'jigsaw' with them to come up with an optimal physical design!

It's like you were there in the pub with me! ;)

I made some cardboard boxes ... some are the size of the inverters I am considering and one is the size my battery ..... been out in the nice weather we have had recently moving them around.

I made some cardboard boxes ... some are the size of the inverters I am considering and one is the size my battery ..... been out in the nice weather we have had recently moving them around.
I have to say that I also created box batteries and components to test placement in my popup. I completely changed my layout after playing with these for a few minutes. My original choices were unworkable. I highly recommend this approach for anyone that has limited space. It really shows you how easy/hard installation and maintenance is going to be. Millimeters matter in confined and hard to access spots.
Now I need to create the drawings so that you kind folks can review and comment on my plan.

So far after testing several tools I want to share that Schematics.com seems to be the one with the most features, free and easy to share.
Here are some screenshots of my diagrams:
1609793290761.png
1609793297679.png

Features that I find important are:
  • You can move components and wire will follow
  • You can add your own components
  • It will create you a bill of materials
  • You can export the files to print
  • You can share design with others to collaborate
  • It supports multiple plans so you can separate AC / DC diagrams

Is an account necessary? When I click the link it says forbidden

Hi, just wondering what you guys are using to draw your up you solar layout plans? I do have visio but i'm really not a big fan of it. Love the Blueprints Will produces, would like to do something similar, simply and on the cheap.
Figma - It's free for personal use and it's a great tool for any basic design work.

any one else having issues signing up to Schematic? I tried signing up manually and then with Google and nothing happens there's also no customer support contact.

Good insight. I just converted my hand drawn plans using schematics.com. Modifying some pictures to crop white space and uploading using imgur allowed me to use actual images and get better results.

TT project

Last edited:
Back