diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW pro 6k vs. Eg4 18k - need help deciding

2 things:

#1) Since we're already on this subject.. I think everyone should have at least a will written up, regardless of age. And if you have any assets, you might even consider an estate plan.. It's uncomfortable for some to talk about their end.. but I spent 3 years trying to deal with probate for my parents house when they passed. I don't wish that on anyone.

#2) And more on-topic.. I guess I don't understand the real concern here about your loved ones being able to take over the solar. For the most part, I only mess with mine because I love to tinker. But I have the utmost confidence that.. should I stop messing with it today, it'd continue on problem free for years, barring any hardware issues. And for that, any solar installer should be able to look at it and say.. "Yep, charge controller died. needs replaced". We do things like firmware updates because we *want* to, but rarely (if ever) do we do them because we *have* to. we LIKE the bugfixes. we LIKE the new features and capabilities, but from a maintenance and stability perspective.. if the system is producing power, they aren't *required*.

So serious question, are some of these DIY systems that are being built on this forum really that fickle that it needs constant care and attention to the point that it's a legitimate concern that your loved ones wouldn't be able to care for/maintain it?

I showed my wife how to bypass the inverter. And bring it back online as a "just in case" thing, but realistically, she should never even need to do that.

So serious question, are some of these DIY systems that are being built on this forum really that fickle that it needs constant care and attention to the point that it's a legitimate concern that your loved ones wouldn't be able to care for/maintain it?
The issue is when something stops working as expected.. over years of time something will happen. How easy it is to diagnose would be the issue.

First, good advice on the will (and estate plan, for many). Second, very reasonable pushback to my concerns. I'm thinking more along the lines of, say, a lightning strike. Local electrician shows up, sees a solar system, and says, "Oh, I don't know about all that.", and then my wife has a problem. Or batteries just need replaced one day. We can figure that out easily, but it's a far cry from just having utility power. Getting competent and available installation and repair people here in Maine is a big problem for almost everything (the oldest average age in the US). I'm just trying to figure out how to make things easier if and when the need arises, especially if I'm not there to deal with it.

Possibly, although I think my Victron system is just about as easy to understand, and with a Cerbo GX, as easy to engage with, as an AIO (with more reliability than many, I'd argue - but that's a debate we'll never resolve! ?). There's probably not a great solution, but I think having outside help might be part of it, as much as I hate to say it.

As an example, several years ago, I installed my own security system, in two different homes, supplied by a company called Elk. Very few people knew of the company but they made (make, I think) great equipment that also interfaced well with some home automation products. But they frankly had a rather limited dealer/installer network so when we moved to our current home here in Maine I couldn't find a dealer/installer familiar with the equipment so I went with a local alarm company solely to make sure my wife had support if something happened to me. Our system here is adequate but nothing like what we had in our past homes. But at least my wife has someone to call if necessary and I'm not around.

This is the struggle I'm facing as we age... I can do almost anything related to technology with enough trial and error, and I really enjoy the learning process. I'd argue that much of what I create is pretty darn good (eventually). But how much of what I create relies on me being around and in decent health? None of us are getting out of this alive, and I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to temper my enthusiasm and fun enough to not cause a burden for those I love and care about. It ain't easy, but it's something I'm facing every day, and I suspect that's true for others here.
I wonder if it's a good idea or possible to train someone else in the house on how everything works? And maybe even an instruction manual? Or where the settings should be?

First, good advice on the will (and estate plan, for many). Second, very reasonable pushback to my concerns. I'm thinking more along the lines of, say, a lightning strike. Local electrician shows up, sees a solar system, and says, "Oh, I don't know about all that.", and then my wife has a problem. Or batteries just need replaced one day. We can figure that out easily, but it's a far cry from just having utility power. Getting competent and available installation and repair people here in Maine is a big problem for almost everything (the oldest average age in the US). I'm just trying to figure out how to make things easier if and when the need arises, especially if I'm not there to deal with it.
This makes perfect sense. I did spell outthe caveat about failed hardware, as those are always possible, yet unforseen. But this is where I think the DIYer types (like most of us on this forum) would do well to stick to things like industry standards, code compliance, etc. (even if it's completely offgrid system where there are no requirements to do so)

In my particular scenario, even though I'd done the entire setup myself (with the exceptions of plans/permitting) any solar installer who is familiar with a battery-based DC-coupled system should have absolutely no issue coming in "blind" and making sense of everything, quickly.

That said, there are some valid points being raised here. I think over the next few months, I may call and reach out to a couple solar installers, and see which ones seem most trustworthy. Maybe pay them for a "review/critique" of the system, and from that feedback, evaluate if they are someone I would recommend. Essentially, just keeping a list of "in case of emergency contact one of these 3 companies" kinda deal.

Good topic and conversation!

Asíes
This makes perfect sense. I did spell outthe caveat about failed hardware, as those are always possible, yet unforseen. But this is where I think the DIYer types (like most of us on this forum) would do well to stick to things like industry standards, code compliance, etc. (even if it's completely offgrid system where there are no requirements to do so)

In my particular scenario, even though I'd done the entire setup myself (with the exceptions of plans/permitting) any solar installer who is familiar with a battery-based DC-coupled system should have absolutely no issue coming in "blind" and making sense of everything, quickly.

That said, there are some valid points being raised here. I think over the next few months, I may call and reach out to a couple solar installers, and see which ones seem most trustworthy. Maybe pay them for a "review/critique" of the system, and from that feedback, evaluate if they are someone I would recommend. Essentially, just keeping a list of "in case of emergency contact one of these 3 companies" kinda deal.

Good topic and conversation!
And then there is the software side?

I have a server w/grafana, docker / raspberry pi with node controlling schedules / vrm local/remote / DST changes / etc...the solar installers won't touch this..?

Need to make mine simpler..no firmware upgrades/no bugs-stable release/just a web interface for everything

Last edited:
Asíes

And then there is the software side?

I have a server w/grafana, docker / raspberry pi with node controlling schedules / vrm local/remote / DST changes / etc...the solar installers won't touch this..?

Need to make mine simpler..no firmware upgrades/no bugs-stable release/just a web interface for everything
This is true, but I suspect if we were being totally honest with ourselves.. the additional software aspect is more to fill our nerdy desires and tinkering-isms... than it is "necessary to the operation of the system" for the vast majority of us. Granted, there are some here that are using external systems to get the systems to function how we want for various compliance/governmental/utility reasons, that may fall more into the "need" than "want" category.. but my 100% data-backed and super-scientific guesstimate is, the "need" aspect is like 5% of the usage.. and the want is likely to be 95% or higher.

(That said, playing devils advocate to my own position, I've started down the path of using external software to satisfy a TOU scenario my utility has for 6 months out of the year, that.. my systems firmware can't support, so I may be falling into the "need" category soonish.)

we send you a new one by parcel and refurb your old one if that happens year 1-10. schneider is so heavy freight has to be used
Is this an advanced replacement (ship warrantee replacement first and then receive failed unit later). Or do they have to wait until you receive the failed unit first?

That’s about the price of 1 schneider which has similar specs
+ more wiring. Continuous on xw pro 6848 is 6.8kw(10k victron with 2 of the 5k), 30 min 8.5kw(?? on victron).

Victron: @11.30
1693435030817.png

+ more wiring. Continuous on xw pro 6848 is 6.8kw(10k victron with 2 of the 5k), 30 min 8.5kw(?? on victron).

Victron: @11.30
View attachment 165322
Each 5kva Victron is 4000w. 8000w vs 6800w continuous.
14k peak surge vs 16k peak surge
I’d say 2 Victrons would have more wiring than 1 schneider
I’m not hating on the Victron or saying schneider is better at all. The Victron should have slightly higher ratings as it’s 2x 4000w units vs 1 6800w unit. But there’s pros to either system, such as split phase in one unit with schneider and either system would be within hundreds of dollars difference in total cost

Each 5kva Victron is 4000w. 8000w vs 6800w continuous.
14k peak surge vs 16k peak surge
I’d say 2 Victrons would have more wiring than 1 schneider
I’m not hating on the Victron or saying schneider is better at all. The Victron should have slightly higher ratings as it’s 2x 4000w units vs 1 6800w unit. But there’s pros to either system, such as split phase in one unit with schneider and either system would be within hundreds of dollars difference in total cost
Arguably, because the Victron's are single phase you would de-rate it as a 240V aggregate system. It depends on how you use them, but IIRC the EG4-18kPV is 8kW per phase, 12kW aggregate as an example. Since the Schneider doesn't have the limitation I'm not sure what the right way is to really compare them in the general sense.

Q: my wall studs are 12 inches apart. Do I need to do anything special to mount them(18k or xw pro) or the mounting brackets are adjustable?

Q: my wall studs are 12 inches apart. Do I need to do anything special to mount them(18k or xw pro) or the mounting brackets are adjustable?
I would recommend 3/4" plywood that can be secured to at least 3 studs and mount the inverter to that. Drywall would be easily crushed by direct contact due to the weight of the XW.

Back