diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW pro 6k vs. Eg4 18k - need help deciding

The XW mounting bracket has holes at 16" on center for mounting on a standard wall. It also has other mounting holes, it might bolt right up to the studs.

I would recommend 3/4" plywood that can be secured to at least 3 studs and mount the inverter to that. Drywall would be easily crushed by direct contact due to the weight of the XW.
I have a cement board(1/4 inch) in front. I have put a eg4 6k (70 lbs) without issues. I am thinking 120 lbs shouldn't be problem across 2 studs. Plywood/3 studs -- interesting..

"How much weight can you hang on a garage wall?

Unless the wall is not built properly it can hold much more than 600lbs. I dont think you would have a problem. 600 lbs isnt a lot of weight. Thats only 300 lbs per stud…not much more than a large person.Nov 26, 2009
"

I wouldn't do it, but they make drywall screws that are designed for 50 lbs, and those inverters only weigh around 120 lbs. I would try to span it over 2 studs, but I wouldn't stress over just using a single stud if the screws are sufficient size.

I have a 400-500 lbs utility trailer that I store vertical against a wall, and it's lifted with a block and tackle pully that's bolted to a single stud (with large bolts).

The bolts are the key. The stud will easily hold 120 lbs.

from Schneider rep: new inverter specs attached..not sure about pricing but looks like it only works with the their batteries (SOC)

Attachments

• 998-22921883_Schneider Inverter Datasheet_GMA-US_Leaflet_XIA.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
from Schneider rep: new inverter specs attached..not sure about pricing but looks like it only works with the their batteries (SOC)
88lbs, full 7.6kw output on one leg. I don't know how to tell if this is still a low frequency inverter, and if it is how they made it lighter with higher output. Less caps needed with LFP batteries maybe.

It looks like a slight bump up from the XW Pro, but there's no mention of the extended overload (8.5kW for 30 minutes). That, plus the lower weight, and the much higher efficiency leads me to believe it's a HF inverter.

From the spec sheet, this is a high voltage battery inverter, ( 380 to 470 Vdc fro spec sheet ) which is what a 128S ( 409V ) HV battery is currently operates and would be high frequency typology.

For sure this is closed loop and proprietary communications, like all other HV inverters on or coming to the market.

Seems worse than the XW pro
I'm reserving judgement.

Schneider has a history of modbus in their other solar gear, and things like SNMP and other standards in various other product lines. so, I'm optimistic that they'll continue that trend. But we'll see when they actually start releasing products, literature, and details.

That said, I'm pretty well investing in the XW Pros and EG4 batteries, so I doubt I'll be switching to this new gear. My one hope is that the new EV charger can communicate/integrate with the old stuff using xanbus/modbus, or at least something like MQTT where I can get data from the inverters and populate mqtt similar to how openEVSE works.

If you wanted to run two inverters with solar panels and diy batteries with grid power as backup for when there is no sun and dead batteries plus a generator to charge batteries when needed which system do you go with, I see DC coupling and AC coupling but the diagrams are not showing the configuration described. Shows AC coupling with no solar panels and shows DC with no grid power tied in.

If you wanted to run two inverters with solar panels and diy batteries with grid power as backup for when there is no sun and dead batteries plus a generator to charge batteries when needed which system do you go with, I see DC coupling and AC coupling but the diagrams are not showing the configuration described. Shows AC coupling with no solar panels and shows DC with no grid power tied in.

You may be better off starting your own thread for this.

As for the diagrams, in an AC Coupled scenario, it shows an inverter on the other side of the "AC Out" panel. The idea is, you already have existing solar panels and AC inverter (micro or string inverters, doesn't matter) and thus, you wouldn't be attaching the panels directly up to any schneider gear. Be aware, AC Coupling only, leaves you vulnerable to the dark start problem. So most people put at least a small string of panels for DC coupling.

As for the DC Coupling image showing no grid input, thats likely an oversight. That exactly how I have mine setup, and works perfectly.

You may be better off starting your own thread for this.

As for the diagrams, in an AC Coupled scenario, it shows an inverter on the other side of the "AC Out" panel. The idea is, you already have existing solar panels and AC inverter (micro or string inverters, doesn't matter) and thus, you wouldn't be attaching the panels directly up to any schneider gear. Be aware, AC Coupling only, leaves you vulnerable to the dark start problem. So most people put at least a small string of panels for DC coupling.

As for the DC Coupling image showing no grid input, thats likely an oversight. That exactly how I have mine setup, and works perfectly.

Okay, so the dual inverter dc coupling kit signature solar sells is what I would need for my scenario then.

Okay, so the dual inverter dc coupling kit signature solar sells is what I would need for my scenario then.
You'll probably get mixed opinions, but i'd say.. if you don't already have an existing solar setup, you'd likely want the DC coupled setup.

If you look in my signature below for the link "My Build Thread", it will take you to my Show and Tell build thread, where I document my DC Coupled system.

I have ended up with a Schneider XW Pro system, a DIY battery system and 4 DC arrays, finishing up with a generator

In post #1 are my diagrams for my Dual inverter system with grid for backup and now a generator for backup for the grid

lots of options in terms of configuration

It looks like a slight bump up from the XW Pro, but there's no mention of the extended overload (8.5kW for 30 minutes). That, plus the lower weight, and the much higher efficiency leads me to believe it's a HF inverter.
It does show double surge (15.4kW) but only for 10 seconds, not sure how that compares to the eg4 18k PV.

Screenshot_20230918_151224_Samsung Notes.jpg

TFWIW, there is a big Schneider inverter system for sale on Ebay right now as a used system.

He says it is still in service.

Back