diy solar

diy solar

Second EG4 3K or EG4 6000 XP

wired1

Good Morning,

I have a EG4 3K setup with 10K 48V Batteries connected to the grid for a backup panel.. Works great. Original plan was to add another 3K to this one so I can run 240V also. I am ready to do that, but now I'm wondering if I would be better to replace my 3K with a 6000XP? (I have a buyer for the 3K)

Should I stay with original plan or go with the 6000XP?

I will be adding between 3K and 5K watts of panels soon. Want to purchase either one today?

I was in the same situation - had one EG4 3K and ended up switching to the 6000XP. I can say that I am very happy with the decision. Part of my thinking was that going with the single 6000XP removes the added complexities of going with 2 units in parallel and the possibility that a problem with one might cause the other to shut down as well.

In any case, the quality of the 6000XP is much better than the 3K and I’m not regretting my decision at all.

Having said that, now I’m seriously thinking about adding a second 6000XP ?

I was in the same situation - had one EG4 3K and ended up switching to the 6000XP. I can say that I am very happy with the decision. Part of my thinking was that going with the single 6000XP removes the added complexities of going with 2 units in parallel and the possibility that a problem with one might cause the other to shut down as well.

In any case, the quality of the 6000XP is much better than the 3K and I’m not regretting my decision at all.
You're making it easier for me to decide on the 6000XP
That and seeing it for sale on Current Connected (while the 3K is not)
Current Connected has a outstanding reputation for service and I doubt they'd stock anything that would be problematic.

I actually love the 3K, and it is one of my favorite units out there, but I think you would be better off with the 6000xp. There are lots of features and hardware that the 3K does not have, like GFCI and AFCI on pv input, large input capacity and so much more. Also the surge is better.

Yeah if you get it from current connected you won't have any issues

I actually love the 3K, and it is one of my favorite units out there, but I think you would be better off with the 6000xp. There are lots of features and hardware that the 3K does not have, like GFCI and AFCI on pv input, large input capacity and so much more. Also the surge is better.

OK Will, my arm's been twisted, thanks for the input!

S.S is ok also?

S.S is ok also?
Personally I haven’t had any issues with them, but a good number of people have reported issues with their customer support and some have issues with order fulfillment. I bought my EG4 3K, battery rack, and 3 of the LLV2 batteries from them without any issues. I did buy my 6000XP from current connected though due to all the reports of frustration with SS if you need support. I don’t think SS is bad - just maybe struggling with growing pains.

I'm in the same boat as well. I've had the EG4 3k in service running essential loads at my house for several months when they released the 6000xp. Having the ability to run 240 volt loads is a major plus for any backup power source. The 3k is a great inverter and has worked flawlessly but I jumped and ordered the 6000xp and hopefully it will arrive in the next week or two. With the 4kw of additional panels sitting in my garage awaiting install and the new xp installed in the next month, I'll be running a good portion of my house. I'm also looking forward to running one of my two 2.5 ton AC's this summer. I'll hold onto the 3k for back up for sure

Sounds like you’ve made up your mind (6000XP?). If not, I’ve got an unopened EG4 3K I can sell you for cheap ?.

I bought the 3k as a starter kit but then pulled the trigger on dual 6000XP’s before I even opened the box.

Sounds like you’ve made up your mind (6000XP?). If not, I’ve got an unopened EG4 3K I can sell you for cheap ?.

I bought the 3k as a starter kit but then pulled the trigger on dual 6000XP’s before I even opened the box.
What's the price?

I was going to post it in the marketplace section, but since we’re on topic… $500 (final) + shipping (from 20171). It’s brand new and never unboxed. Received in July ‘23. DM if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpeg
    IMG_1345.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
Folks (Will), about to settle on an approach and I have read a bunch and also watched the EG4 6000xp video as well as the compare with the 18pv.

Goal - take most of my house circuits off grid power - but do not plan to net meter:
- I have 2 water heaters installed in line (a 20 gallon 120v and a 40 gallon 240v)
- 240v loads (40 gallon water heater, clothes, dryer, range and hot tub) will stay on grid via main panel - WH shut off if all goes as planned
- 120v loads moved to a transfer switch subpanel that will be feed by the inverter

As I can use my 120v WH as primary when I want to, having 240v split phase is really optional as I don't intent to be able to cover 100% 24/7.

I like that the 6000xp is an updated model and that has the breakers internal to the unit.
I don't like that the unit doesn't have surge on the individual L1/L2 legs beyond the 3,000 watts each.

Plan to have 2 5,000 watt PV strings regardless w/ 15-20kw bank.
EG4 6000xp w/ 8kw max, 4 solar hours a day at 80%, I think I'll get 25kw per day (17 amp useable)
EG4 3000-48 w/ 10kw max, 4 solar hours a day at 80%, I would have 33kw per day (18 amp useable)
Cost of 2 3000 units ($675) vs 1 6000xp ($1,400) basically same, but add I know then I have the added costs for wiring and breakers.

If 240 split phase isn't needed, would I be better off with 2 EG4 3000-48 units in parallel with the appropriate PV and battery breakers?
I also like the 2 unit set-up in case one goes down, I can reconfigure the wiring at least to get by, but the newer 6000xp unit looks enticing.

Pros of 2 unit in parallel vs 1:
- more solar collection (up to 5kw per day)
- redundancy to reconfigure if needed (for backup / emergency use)

Question: with the combined 6000kw, do these units allow for surge to 12kw?

Pros of 1 larger unit:
- less complexity for setup and wiring
- built is breakers
- lower total cost (when adding wiring & breakers needed in other setup)

Seems the lack of surge on each leg (L1/L2) is the biggest draw back of the unit.

Thanks

Folks (Will), about to settle on an approach and I have read a bunch and also watched the EG4 6000xp video as well as the compare with the 18pv.

Goal - take most of my house circuits off grid power - but do not plan to net meter:
- I have 2 water heaters installed in line (a 20 gallon 120v and a 40 gallon 240v)
- 240v loads (40 gallon water heater, clothes, dryer, range and hot tub) will stay on grid via main panel - WH shut off if all goes as planned
- 120v loads moved to a transfer switch subpanel that will be feed by the inverter

As I can use my 120v WH as primary when I want to, having 240v split phase is really optional as I don't intent to be able to cover 100% 24/7.

I like that the 6000xp is an updated model and that has the breakers internal to the unit.
I don't like that the unit doesn't have surge on the individual L1/L2 legs beyond the 3,000 watts each.

Plan to have 2 5,000 watt PV strings regardless w/ 15-20kw bank.
EG4 6000xp w/ 8kw max, 4 solar hours a day at 80%, I think I'll get 25kw per day (17 amp useable)
EG4 3000-48 w/ 10kw max, 4 solar hours a day at 80%, I would have 33kw per day (18 amp useable)
Cost of 2 3000 units ($675) vs 1 6000xp ($1,400) basically same, but add I know then I have the added costs for wiring and breakers.

If 240 split phase isn't needed, would I be better off with 2 EG4 3000-48 units in parallel with the appropriate PV and battery breakers?
I also like the 2 unit set-up in case one goes down, I can reconfigure the wiring at least to get by, but the newer 6000xp unit looks enticing.

Pros of 2 unit in parallel vs 1:
- more solar collection (up to 5kw per day)
- redundancy to reconfigure if needed (for backup / emergency use)

Question: with the combined 6000kw, do these units allow for surge to 12kw?

Pros of 1 larger unit:
- less complexity for setup and wiring
- built is breakers
- lower total cost (when adding wiring & breakers needed in other setup)

Seems the lack of surge on each leg (L1/L2) is the biggest draw back of the unit.

Thanks
The 6000XP DOES have surge on each leg - 12,000W for ≈3.5 seconds | 11,000W for ≈5 seconds which translates to half of that surge wattage for each leg.

Ok in the review from Will, he stated that the surge was only when using both lines for 240v - ie on a dual pole 240v device.
Or possibly I misunderstood.
So if L1 120v is 3,000watts, what is it capable of surging to?
I think that's the rub, that it has surge from 6,000 to 12,000 if you are using both legs for 240v and need more start up that the 6,000 watts.

I think he specially tested each leg separate and blow the breaker at 3,100-32,00 watts - ie no surge to 6,000 like you'd expect.
And that was with the discussion on there is no line balancing - ie L1 can't do 6,000 continuous, its only 3,000 per leg.
Would like to understand if 2 3000 units are in parallel, do they provide 6,000 with surge to 12,000 since 1 unit is 3000 watts with surge to 6,000.

Guess I'll have to poke at that more before I decide.

Ok in the review from Will, he stated that the surge was only when using both lines for 240v - ie on a dual pole 240v device.
Or possibly I misunderstood.
So if L1 120v is 3,000watts, what is it capable of surging to?
I think that's the rub, that it has surge from 6,000 to 12,000 if you are using both legs for 240v and need more start up that the 6,000 watts.

I think he specially tested each leg separate and blow the breaker at 3,100-32,00 watts - ie no surge to 6,000 like you'd expect.
And that was with the discussion on there is no line balancing - ie L1 can't do 6,000 continuous, its only 3,000 per leg.
Would like to understand if 2 3000 units are in parallel, do they provide 6,000 with surge to 12,000 since 1 unit is 3000 watts with surge to 6,000.

Guess I'll have to poke at that more before I decide.
Signature Solar stated that there is no surge rating on each individual leg. But in my video I got an impressive surge on each leg. Sometimes real world testing is more useful than the spec.

Back